PDA

View Full Version : Echo 265 and 280?'s

Turf Dawg
06-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I was wondering if these trimmers are doing OK for people that are running them. I have a couple of places with alot of chainlink and was thinking of getting one and putting on a Edgit. Oh BTW I am going to quite looking at specs on web pages because they always seam to be wrong. On Echos site they list both of these trimmers at about the same weight, but when I looked at them at the dealer I said the 280 felt lighter. The sales person said the 280 is lighter and showed me on the info sheet that the 280 is 13 and the 265 is 14 pounds.

Just Mow
06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Just get a FS90R or a 130R, both are lighter and have more torque without giving up the bladespeed like the Echo does.

Turf Dawg
06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Just get a FS90R or a 130R, both are lighter and have more torque without giving up the bladespeed like the Echo does.

I have 3 fs90 trimmers a 90 edger and another 90 trimmer with the hedge trimmer attachment on it. Also have other brands of trimmers. Do not want to sound rude, but I am just wondering about the new Echos.

Turf Dawg
06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Is anyone using these yet? Since they are a new product I was just wanting to know if they were having any problems.

jameson
06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I can't speak directly to the two trimmers in question, but I would submit that Echo trimmers are top-notch.

I have a SRM-260S (steel shaft) which serves as our dedicated Edgit trimmer. Going on a three years of duty, problem free.

ProStreetCamaro
06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
The 265 is a beast. It has tons of power. We just put our new 265 to the test today on a couple lawns that needed edged badly. It cut right through the heavy over growth very easily. It is very smooth running and quieter than the older echo engines we have used.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Dude, dont even mess with echo. I have been there and done that. Ill only buy Stihl now. Go with Stihl or RedMax

tallimeca
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
with either. The 265, although the same cc size as the 260, just seems to have more power than the 260, which is impressive.

Not a fan of stihl, even though some guys love them.

capnsac
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I dunno, I have the 261T and one of my friends that I subcontract from has the fs90's. I've used both so my opinions aren't biased. My 261T has more torque, and is more comfortable to operate. I only have to operate the 261T at 1/4 throttle instead of 1/2 on the fs90's.

Even his guys like my trimmer better, and they have been doing this for longer than I have, so their opinion would hold more weight than mine.

capnsac
06-20-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=SRM-261T&Category=TRIMMER# Here's a link to my trimmer vs. the fs90. You have to hit the watch video link and let the games begin.

ProStreetCamaro
06-20-2008, 11:52 AM
We wont run anything but echo. We havent had any luck with stihl and they tend to be more heavy than echo.

BryceBentleyLCS
06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
We wont run anything but echo. We havent had any luck with stihl and they tend to be more heavy than echo.

I agree 100%, I have had the exact same experience

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=SRM-261T&Category=TRIMMER# Here's a link to my trimmer vs. the fs90. You have to hit the watch video link and let the games begin.

That video is deff. baist. Thats an echo run test so of course echo is going to win. He even has on echo gloves. Second off they never told you what stil they were using. So I dont trust that video.

ed2hess
06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Is anyone using these yet? Since they are a new product I was just wanting to know if they were having any problems.

We are running 4 of them an no problems... But, nobody likes the extra weight compared to the old units 260. They have constantly been going up in weight and that isn't good. I don't see any significant improvement over the 261T but it is gone.

capnsac
06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
That video is deff. baist. Thats an echo run test so of course echo is going to win. He even has on echo gloves. Second off they never told you what stil they were using. So I dont trust that video.

Ya, I thought about that as I was working today. :hammerhead::hammerhead: I love my trimmer though, it does what I need it to do and has power left over. To each his own! :-)

ALC-GregH
06-21-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm a happy camper with my PAS-265. :) After using a SRM-210 for years, I feel like I put a big block in my trimmer. :D

capnsac
06-21-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm a happy camper with my PAS-265. :) After using a SRM-210 for years, I feel like I put a big block in my trimmer. :D

Tim Allen would say Arr Arr Arr to that. Big block, arrrrrr

bigclawn
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
We have 12 Echo 261T's and 4 280T's and I can't imagine using anything else--these are serious trimmers especially with the guards off and some serious trimmer line like Husq Titanium...We have tried Stihl, Tanaka, Redmax, Kawasaki and Dolmars, and while some might feel a bit lighter the balance and power of the Echo units allows us to trim a lot faster---at barely half throttle most of the time!

S man
06-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I like redmax and echo. I have seen a lot of carb problems with echo though.

Lazer_Z
06-21-2008, 04:45 PM
That video is deff. baist. Thats an echo run test so of course echo is going to win. He even has on echo gloves. Second off they never told you what stil they were using. So I dont trust that video. That vid is not bias, it's pure BS, they don't show what echo vs. what Stihl.

Johnson LCO
06-21-2008, 06:07 PM
We have 12 Echo 261T's and 4 280T's and I can't imagine using anything else--these are serious trimmers especially with the guards off and some serious trimmer line like Husq Titanium...We have tried Stihl, Tanaka, Redmax, Kawasaki and Dolmars, and while some might feel a bit lighter the balance and power of the Echo units allows us to trim a lot faster---at barely half throttle most of the time!

I also have a 261t and just got a 280t (use the husky titanium too). The 280t is rediculously powerful and although it seems sorta of heavy when you pick it up by the shaft, it is so well balanced the wieght makes no difference. Trust me, I just got subcontracted to trim whole stretches of highway for 10 hours a day a few days a week and there is nothing I would rather have than the 280.

capnsac
06-21-2008, 06:23 PM
That vid is not bias, it's pure BS, they don't show what echo vs. what Stihl.

Well since it is under the 261T I would assume that's the model being used. I mean, come on... :dizzy::dizzy: The Stihl model is undeclared though so I'll give you that much. :rolleyes:

Besides, have you tried a 261T or are you just going off your pure bias because you own Stihl and that's what all the 'cool' kids are doing? I on the other hand have first hand experience with the fs80, the fs90, and the 261T. Hands down the 261T is far more comfortable to operate, and power bandwidth on the 261T is smoother. Not only do I prefer the 261T, but so do the other 5 people on the crew that use it. So, if you don't want to take the owners word for it, maybe you should take all the others that have used it as well.

Lazer_Z
06-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Well since it is under the 261T I would assume that's the model being used. I mean, come on... :dizzy::dizzy: The Stihl model is undeclared though so I'll give you that much. :rolleyes:

Besides, have you tried a 261T or are you just going off your pure bias because you own Stihl and that's what all the 'cool' kids are doing? I on the other hand have first hand experience with the fs80, the fs90, and the 261T. Hands down the 261T is far more comfortable to operate, and power bandwidth on the 261T is smoother. Not only do I prefer the 261T, but so do the other 5 people on the crew that use it. So, if you don't want to take the owners word for it, maybe you should take all the others that have used it as well.Click on the Echo 280, same thing. They don't say 261 or 280 Vs Stihl FS ?? R

To answer your question, no I have not tried out a 261 and have no desire to. If I wanted to use an Echo I would have kept my HH's all Echo instead of switching to Stihl.

capnsac
06-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Click on the Echo 280, same thing. They don't say 261 or 280 Vs Stihl FS ?? R

To answer your question, no I have not tried out a 261 and have no desire to. If I wanted to use an Echo I would have kept my HH's all Echo instead of switching to Stihl.

Too bad, you're missing out.

93Chevy
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
I've used Stihl and Echo handhelds. Let me put it this way: I've never used a Stihl that I enjoyed and I've never used Echo I haven't been pleased with. The Echo's are so perfectly balanced, in my opinion, it feels like they weigh nothing. However, if I wanted unusually large Pop-eye forearms, I'd get a Stihl.

Lazer_Z
06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Too bad, you're missing out. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Hardly!

I had so many problems with a PB650, the final straw that broke the camels back was the throttle cable broke. I needed to work the very next day so, 1st stop was my mower dealer where I had bought the POS to drop it off to get repaired, 2nd stop was to buy a Stihl BR600. When I needed an edger I looked at Echo, Red Max and Stihl, Stihl won with the FC110 and I've been buying Stihl ever since.

You want another Echo? I've got an SRM2601 I need to get rid of to help build the funds a little for a KM 130 R and attachments. :waving:

Happy Frog
06-22-2008, 12:41 AM
That video is funny for me because the other day, I was trimming after a heavy rain and I put my PAS-265 trimmer head in some water left in a retention pond. I thought it would clean the head some...
Needless to say, I was able to spin the head real easy and the water was spinning much faster than in the video... :laugh:
I don't know what was the other trimmer they used in the video but next time you have a chance, do the test with your trimmer so you can compare for yourself... :drinkup:

02DURAMAX
06-22-2008, 01:50 AM

Thats because Its the HIGH TORQUE TRIMMER...I buy all High Torque and you can tell the difference...Just look at the head on the Echo and the Sh!ty head on the sthil....I have a SRM-261T And the new SRM-265T and compared to the Regular SRM-265 You can tell the difference in power.

NORTHMAN
06-22-2008, 07:01 AM
What exactly does the high torque head do differently than the regular head?I'm sort of interested in a 280T.

b121774
06-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I bought the 265t after always buying the 261's. The 265 is heavier but just the same power. The trigger is really stiff and fatigues my hand. It is sitting up on a shelf in my trailer as a backup and went back to the 261.

bigclawn
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
The grip is larger--you just must not be used to having something big in your hand!

(just kidding!)

ALC-GregH
06-22-2008, 10:15 AM
The grip is larger--you just must not be used to having something big in your hand!

(just kidding!)

now thats funny..... :D
I like my 265....

b121774
06-22-2008, 12:07 PM
It's not the grip but the tension of the spring.

capnsac
06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Hardly!

I had so many problems with a PB650, the final straw that broke the camels back was the throttle cable broke. I needed to work the very next day so, 1st stop was my mower dealer where I had bought the POS to drop it off to get repaired, 2nd stop was to buy a Stihl BR600. When I needed an edger I looked at Echo, Red Max and Stihl, Stihl won with the FC110 and I've been buying Stihl ever since.

You want another Echo? I've got an SRM2601 I need to get rid of to help build the funds a little for a KM 130 R and attachments. :waving:

How about you just give it to me since you think they're such pieces of crap. It must hold little worth to you.

Happy Frog
06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
It's not the grip but the tension of the spring.

I have two PAS-265 and one throttle is stiffer than the other. I may take a look at it when I have time to fool with it.

I don't see the need of the "T" models. I find that the regular version have plenty of torque for my needs and you can expect the "T" versions engines to not last as long as the regular ones (twice the rpm=twice the wear)

ed2hess
06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I have two PAS-265 and one throttle is stiffer than the other. I may take a look at it when I have time to fool with it.

I don't see the need of the "T" models. I find that the regular version have plenty of torque for my needs and you can expect the "T" versions engines to not last as long as the regular ones (twice the rpm=twice the wear)

I agree that these units have plenty of power.....I thought the T model actually ran lower rpm at the head so it might reduce the load. Anyway the clutches don't wear out on the T models like they used to on the earlier models for some reason.

Happy Frog
06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree that these units have plenty of power.....I thought the T model actually ran lower rpm at the head so it might reduce the load. Anyway the clutches don't wear out on the T models like they used to on the earlier models for some reason.

The "T" version have more torque because of the gearbox (2:1 reduction).
This makes the engine run at higher rpm, making more torque available on the tool head (or the tool head rpm will be lower for the same engine rpm).
Users have noticed the higher engine rpm in practical work which also means more gas consumption...

Lazer_Z
06-22-2008, 03:21 PM
How about you just give it to me since you think they're such pieces of crap. It must hold little worth to you.Now why would I just want to give something away? I'd rather sell it and make a profit off of it. Better yet, I'll let it go for half price $50.00+ shipping to NE and it's yours! Actually that and the little HS2100 have held their own. I am kinda sad to see the 2601 go, but with an FS 90 R and a soon to be KM 130 with the string head I have no need for it. The POS was an Echo PB650, I never said the 2601 was crap.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-22-2008, 09:52 PM
At least I'm not the only one that watched the video and thought it was a bunch of sh!t. I have owned echo and stihl. When i got the stihl fs80r I was taken back by the amount of power compared to the echo. The echo by the way was the same class of the stihl. Anyways, I said i would never go back to echo. While i had the 80r(before it got stolen) it was problem free. Now i have the 110r and I have to adjust the carb cause it dosent want to idle when I am walking to the nex spot to trim or edge. Other thing is, the starter cable isnt as easy to pull as the older model stihl. I still wont go back to echo tho. Stihl is all i have on my truck. I also have the Br600 and that is problem free.

bigclawn
06-22-2008, 10:37 PM
We notice LESS fuel consumption as you do not need to run around at full throttle. We take the guards off and run Husq titanium line. We run the piss out of them. We are just now replacing the clutch on the very first 261T we bought when they first came out. It's a quick, cheap fix, especially for all the expert mechanics/engineers on this site!!!!

02DURAMAX
06-23-2008, 02:02 AM
At least I'm not the only one that watched the video and thought it was a bunch of sh!t. I have owned echo and stihl. When i got the stihl fs80r I was taken back by the amount of power compared to the echo. The echo by the way was the same class of the stihl. Anyways, I said i would never go back to echo. While i had the 80r(before it got stolen) it was problem free. Now i have the 110r and I have to adjust the carb cause it dosent want to idle when I am walking to the nex spot to trim or edge. Other thing is, the starter cable isnt as easy to pull as the older model stihl. I still wont go back to echo tho. Stihl is all i have on my truck. I also have the Br600 and that is problem free.

And you your bashing ECHO!!!!!.....Alll makes have there problems....Alll I will buy is a Sthil Chainsaw but not trimmers...I hate them...All I have is Echo and Thats what most LCO's use around here...Goodluck fixing your Sthil!

capnsac
06-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Echo's the jam to my toast, the butter to my bread, its my lifeblood. If I could marry echo I would do it. I wouldn't ever be bored, and I could shut it off whenever I want :)

Lazer_Z
06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Echo's the jam to my toast, the butter to my bread, its my lifeblood. If I could marry echo I would do it. I wouldn't ever be bored, and I could shut it off whenever I want :);) Uh, OK :confused:

capnsac
06-23-2008, 01:48 PM
;) Uh, OK :confused:

Don't be jealous lazer, there's plenty of fish in the sea

Lazer_Z
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Don't be jealous lazer, there's plenty of fish in the seaOK, Well have fun with your new bride. :laugh:

BTW, Names Rob, see it's right in my sig line.

capnsac
06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
OK, Well have fun with your new bride. :laugh:

BTW, Names Rob, see it's right in my sig line.

Well then, Rob it is! Mines Pete, didn't know if you cared or not figured I'd throw that in there anyway. :)

ProStreetCamaro
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
We just edged 8 more today with the PAS265. A couple of them were alot further over the sidewalk than we realised. It powered through it like a hot knife through butter. This thing starts real easy and has gobs of power and torque.

Lazer_Z
06-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Well then, Rob it is! Mines Pete, didn't know if you cared or not figured I'd throw that in there anyway. :) Well, Nice to meet ya Pete :waving:

Like I told ya I'm not all anti Echo, I'm gonna miss the 2601 that thing took everything I threw at it and was only in the shop once. I had an Echo 230 and every time I used it I couldn't rest my arm on the engine housing with out my arm getting hot.

BTW, No hard feelings, heres to ya :drinkup:

jameson
06-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm gonna miss the 2601 that thing took everything I threw at it and was only in the shop once.

I still have a couple of operational (yet, very tired) SRM-2601s hanging around the shop - they must be 10 years old.

It's funny, I swear by Echo line-trimmers, but I never had luck with their hedge-trimmers or blowers, but that's where Redmax fills the void. And chainsaws? Stihl, all the way (though I will look closely at the BR600 for my next blower purchase).

No brand loyalty per se, I just want to have the best equipment, irrespective of the brand.

Lazer_Z
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
I still have a couple of operational (yet, very tired) SRM-2601s hanging around the shop - they must be 10 years old.

It's funny, I swear by Echo line-trimmers, but I never had luck with their hedge-trimmers or blowers, but that's where Redmax fills the void. And chainsaws? Stihl, all the way (though I will look closely at the BR600 for my next blower purchase).

No brand loyalty per se, I just want to have the best equipment, irrespective of the brand. Well, That's kinda the way I am (some may disagree). I #1 like my Stihl dealer and the service he provides & #2 I, like most guys want to keep all of my hand held equipment the same.

The BR600 has gotten a ton of great reviews, I got a look at the new generation of blowers and I like them even more now. Stihl took out the wire from inside the tube and it looks to me that they made the tube a bit larger. I discovered that my dealer will let me trade my old equipment in, so when the time comes I'll be able to trade up to a new one.

S man
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Echo's the jam to my toast, the butter to my bread, its my lifeblood. If I could marry echo I would do it. I wouldn't ever be bored, and I could shut it off whenever I want :)

Why don't you go out and get away from equipment and work for a while.:dizzy::laugh:

S man
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM

Dude I found an echo 230 in the trash that ran. I used it for a few months but the sob would take 20 pulls to get started. I let it sit and it wouldn't start at all. I sold it for $45. Talk about making money. Free trimmer that made me some money.

Ooomwizard
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Very often times a weak or poor running edger is due to carbon build-up in the exhaust.

Other times its:

a dirty carb
too much oil in the mix
old crappy gas

1 big vote for Echo trimmers.

nocdpc
05-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Today I just purchased a Echo 265s. Not sure what the difference between The 265, 265s, and 265t. I had a Echo 200BE for about 10years that recently went to a better place. I think prior to me owning it the trimmer had another 15years on it... I am of the opinion of other readers on this site when it comes to equipment. I am not brand loyal. I want the best trouble free equipment for my budget. Thanks for the great posts on this thread. It really helped me with my decision making process.

jameson
05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Not sure what the difference between The 265, 265s, and 265t.

The 'S' designation = steel drive shaft.

The 'T' designation = torque - 50% more than the base model.

nocdpc
05-31-2009, 09:24 PM
so what does that mean when doing trimming?

Turf Dawg
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
so what does that mean when doing trimming?

Well the difference beteween the 265 and 265s is with the steel shaft you do not get the "shimy shakes" like you get with the flex drive. I personally do not like the flex drive. And the "T" model is not as much head speed but more torque, kind of like a 3.77 rear end and 4.10 rear end.

BTW if anyone needs a SRM 280S with Edgit and Speedfeed head I have mine for sell. It's posed in the sale section.

nocdpc
06-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Well the difference beteween the 265 and 265s is with the steel shaft you do not get the "shimy shakes" like you get with the flex drive. I personally do not like the flex drive. And the "T" model is not as much head speed but more torque, kind of like a 3.77 rear end and 4.10 rear end.

BTW if anyone needs a SRM 280S with Edgit and Speedfeed head I have mine for sell. It's posed in the sale section.

Thanks for this information. I am glad I went with the 265s as I do not like vibration or shimmys.

exmark 1
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
i think the new echos suck

nocdpc
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I used the trimmer this weekend for the first time and it is very powerful. It is easy to start. I used a .105 trimmer line on a quick feedhead and was not disappointed at all. The .105 line lasted for the entire yard. I have some thick weeds on edges of property line that I want to take care of in late summer/fall so I am looking for getting a brush/weed blade for the trimmer. Does anyone have any experince with using blades on these?