PDA

View Full Version : Quick Opinion On a Scag For Sale

PushingupDaisies
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I ran across this ad. This would be my first WB so any advice on what to ask or whether its a good deal would be great.

Can you ad bags to these?

Here is the ad:

"this is a scag lawn mower it is in good shape i used it for half a summer and havent touched it sense it runs very well i am asking $1300 but i am very negotiable call and make me a fair offer and i will most likely take it thanks for your time"

Lawnut101
06-19-2008, 11:50 AM
It looks like a great deal. Just ask how many hours he thinks it has, how old it is and if it was maintained well. If it sounds like he maintained it good, then I think that that is a great deal. I'd offer him $1k and go from there. Or you may even want to try lower, since he said price is "very negotiable."

PushingupDaisies
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Getting a little info here and there, talked to the dad of the kid selling it. Its an 2003 36". They are the second owners. Includes sulky. The father used to work for the local scag dealer and said that this is in pretty good shape. (not that he would tell me otherwise) They have no idea on hours.

k911lowe
06-19-2008, 12:21 PM
i wont buy anything i cant kick the tires on.just my opinion.if you can see it and run it,it sounds like a decent deal.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Decent deal BUT it is a belt drive so stay out of super wet grass....

PushingupDaisies
06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Talked to the kid. Kohler Motor, no hour meter. He used it for half the summer last year before he quit. Previous owner used it for a season daily.

I think I'll go look at it tomorrow. Is there anything specifically that I should watch out for. Any noises, points to check, etc?

Thanks for all your help

metro36
06-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes you can buy a bagger for it. It does sound like a good deal if it is in good condition. Check the oil to see if it is fresh. Listen to the engine. Check the drive and deck belts. Ask if it was on a maintiance schedule. Ask them to show you how to operate it and try it out. If it turns , shifts, drives, and reverses smooth then make an offer. I would probably offer $1000.

johndeerboy26
06-19-2008, 03:09 PM
My scag dealer in east TN said that the belt drives are bad on hills and you couldn't even give one away over here.

billslawn89
06-19-2008, 05:48 PM
ya, i agree with everybody...go look at it and test it out...take $ 800.00 cash and flash it in his face and you might have a deal!

ProStreetCamaro
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
That looks like the twin to the 36" scag we had except ours had a kawi engine. Man I was never so glad to get rid of it. Worst cutting mower we have ever owned.

Anybody that says its bad because its a belt drive doesnt know what they are talking about. That little 36 pulled me weighing in at 240 with ease and the belts never slipped even in the wet unless you were working in a heavy down pour.

Here is a pic that kind of shows it for anybody that might think we didnt own it. I know some people on here think I am full of it but our experiance was not good at all with this machine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/P1000399.jpg

PushingupDaisies
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
So I missed out on the scag, this one just popped up. Guy has had it for 6-7 years. Mainly did lawncare once a week. Estimates that he has put 300 hours on it (seems low for the age, he would hacve to have used it only about an hour a week).

Any opinion on its worth?

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/grd/767734406.html