PDA

View Full Version : Mower Stuck

DaughtryLC
06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Ive had my Z stuck a couple of times and always been lucky that someone was around to help! My ?, If I use a come-a-long can I ratchet it out. I mean can it be done farely easy or not? 60" Z

The reason I ask is Ive had a few close calls in back yards and would have never been able to get the truck back there!

But, there always seems to be a tree near by!

If this cant be done, What have you done before, for those who have had this happen?

ATouchofGrass
06-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Get a portable winch.. Ive seen a couple guys do this..

hockeypro1411
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
12 inch super swampers on the back =P

mouse
06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
I've used a come along to pull mine out, but be sure and take something along to wrap the tree with so as not to damage it. I carry straps for the extra length which you might need sometime these can be used as a tree wrap.

DLCS
06-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Never have used a winch or come along before but I was always going to try it. Don't know why it wouldn't work. I was always able to use my truck. Now i use the other ztr. if you have a hydro walkbehind, you might be able to use that too.

sgl41377
06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I've used my 36 inch belt drive exmark walk behind before. Also, if you have two people, sometimes you can pull the front end to one side or the other to get on more solid ground. I guess it all depends on where you get stuck. Remember on hills if you always drive up hill and always go down hill backward you will have a lot more control.

shovelracer
06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
The answer is yes it will work, you can pull out much more with them if you rig it properly.

billslawn89
06-19-2008, 10:35 PM
yep! it will work...been there done that! i have a tow strap and the come-a-long...wrap the toe strap around tree, won't hurt it and attach the come-a-long to strap then mower then ratchet away. its got me out of many jams! almost happened this past wednesday, but i got lucky. felt the tires starting to slide and i said..."oh f***" and gave it full power and didn't get stuck. thank goodness.

DaughtryLC
06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
yep! it will work...been there done that! i have a tow strap and the come-a-long...wrap the toe strap around tree, won't hurt it and attach the come-a-long to strap then mower then ratchet away. its got me out of many jams! almost happened this past wednesday, but i got lucky. felt the tires starting to slide and i said..."oh f***" and gave it full power and didn't get stuck. thank goodness.

I will go and buy me one, working solo and most cust. are not home and Id hate to waste god knows how long!!!

the angler
06-20-2008, 08:18 AM
its happened to me more than a few times ..getting stuck is kind of scarey not that im so worrind how im goin to get out but if im goin to get out before mr smith comes home and sees my mower planted in his yard haha i use one of the other mowers usually works fine ...a tow strap should work as long as you dont buy the three dollar 6 pack from big lots ha

zemzabob
06-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Should work just fine.

Charles
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I had a scary thing happen in a back yard yesterday. I was trying to get out of the back yard over a log type landscape timber with my Z. I gunned it to get over the log. The tires bounced and the front in went 3 or 4 feet in the air:eek: I though just for a terrifying second, it was going to flip over backwards.
I have been stuck a couple of times and used something else to drag it out

hunlimo
06-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I have one of these ...already used it once :usflag:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=300430&kwtid=222231

Tagg
06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
You can get a 12 volt, 2000# winch for $ 50.00 @ www.harborfreight.com

Frontier-Lawn
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
i am getting this soon as i get the eco check from the irs.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200315453_200315453

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/14293_lg.gif

Tharrell
06-20-2008, 02:18 PM
A simple way to get a Z unstuck is simply turn it 90 degrees or so in either direction. It may take some effort with a really heavy Z. It's usually the castors that prevent the front from moving when it gets truly stuck. The castors offer resistance to the forward motion because they can be at different angles at the same time. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Tony

nemow
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I've pulled a chevy 3500 out of a snow bank with a come-a-long ratchet type strap I dont see why it wouldn't work for a lawn mower stuck in the mud.

metro36
06-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I got a exmark z stuck by driving up a steep hill and then when I backed down the little hitch on the back dug into the road. That was a weird one. :hammerhead: But anyway, you should be able to use a come along strapped to a tree. I have seen it done with other bigger equipment so I am sure it will work for a mower. Just remember to take off the paring brake, open the dump valves or put it in neutral if the mower is not hydro.

farmboy1285
06-20-2008, 05:49 PM
I only carry short tie down so I can get much distance or torque on them. I think Im gonna go by home depot later and get an industrial size tie down like this one http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200344932_200344932. Until then kcfireman09 has got my back when it comes to towing my A$$ out of the mud.

jkilov
06-20-2008, 06:40 PM
You guys must be mowing in some muddy stuff. I only got stuck a few times and letting some air out of the tires and the weight of my helper on the rear was enough to get me out.

Speaking of mud, I'm lucky not getting flooded like some areas closer to the river.

DaughtryLC
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
The times Iv gottin stuck is when I get to close to the center of the ditch, But I had some close calls in back yards before after a rainy spell!

ALC-GregH
06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
I got my Tiger Cub stuck at a friends farm a few weeks ago. I just backed my truck up to it and yanked it out. :) My friend was there so he rode the Z while I yanked. It was my fault, I knew it was alittle wet and usually means it will leave mud tracks in the grass, I went for it and when I looked back, I thought, great, I'll play heII getting out of here. It's a fenced area around a pond, one way in, one way out. It was buried to the bottom of the chassis. The striping roller being on the back didn't help matters at all. LOL

KGR landscapeing
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I've pulled a chevy 3500 out of a snow bank with a come-a-long ratchet type strap I dont see why it wouldn't work for a lawn mower stuck in the mud.

ya i carry one in the box in the bed along with a whole bunch of other junk. one night in the snow i was plowing and had a helper with me. windrow was up to the door on both sides. and i got off theside of the parking lot. He turns to me and goes now what? i went to open the door and had to go out the window. i was standing on the snow and had to bend over to say you just stay in the truck and ill tell you what to do. but as for Z the jerk i was working for slid one all the way down this backyard. he went got plywood and all the other junk i was just trimming and laughing. it was a show forsure. i went and got my 4wheel drive ranger backd all the way down to the thing draggd the 60inch tiger all the way up the hill like nothing. i miss those trucks