PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa, Good or Bad What do you think?

Wyllner's L & Landscaping
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone, Seems like no one ever really talks about shindaiwa products, I have the T231 trimmer, a M242 with trimmer attachment, LE2510 edger, EB501 and EB8510 backpack blowers. I like all of them and have never had a problem with them. Also the "Speed Feed" trimmer heads are great. Million times better then any other head out there.

Just want to know what other people think about Shindaiwa Products, also has anyone ever used their powerbroom, it looks cool

Thank you to all who comment
Tom
:usflag:

lawnprosteveo
06-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Two EB630's, two T231's, and an LE261....love em all...good equipment. Running them hard for 4 to 5 yrs now....

Mike Blevins
06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
I had an Robyn and Shindiawa trimmer and liked them both. The local dealer that sales Shindiaiwa equipmnent also sells Stihl. I went to look at his Shin stuff before I bought mt Redmax. He doesn't push the Shindaiwa equipment at all. All he wanted to sell was stihl so I went elsewhere. I would buy Shindaiwa equipment anyday great stuff.

N.TX
06-20-2008, 12:11 AM
I love my shindiawa trimmer i have. I bought it recently. For 4 or more years now ive had problems with my wrists hurting... sharp pain shooting through them ... i mean so bad i will just drop whatever i have. I think i was from a car accident i had when i was 18... im 25 now. I bought that shindiawa and havent been hurting since until i had to use my other weedeater for a few days.

nosparkplugs
06-20-2008, 12:38 AM
EB630 the best blower out their, weedeaters suck

Chilehead
06-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Shindaiwa is top notch. Never used a power broom, but like their T242.

lawnboy dan
06-20-2008, 08:56 AM
shin is tops no doubt

zemzabob
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Always heard good things about them.

CTmower
06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Ive used the weedwackers for years now... Never had a problem and their quality is top notch. The powerbrooms are great, i use mine during spring clean ups arond the edge of the curb from snow plowing and they do a great job cleaning up.

BillyRgn
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
would not buy anything but shindiawa,
i have 5 EB630 backacks.
a 22T weed wacker.
a T-230 weed wacker.
a T-231 weed wacker.
a T-231X weed wacker.
a M-2510 multi tool with the articulated hedge prunner, poll pruner, edger, and weed wacker.
a DH231 hedge prunner
a HT231 hedge prunner
a PB-260 power broom.
a PB-230 power broom
i love them all, the power brooms that i have, have the rubber paddles, so i can use them on grass and on pavement, they work exellent, i do alot of sand clean ups, and they make the time fly.

Squirter
06-20-2008, 02:31 PM
My EB630 backpack blower is a killer machine. admittedly, i'm merely a homeowner but i do care for 4 residential lawns and use the blower quite a bit. i've never had the first problem after 4 years of use.

living in indiana, we have to winterize our equipment. so, in oct/nov, i simply fill the tank with 89 octane...mix in Sea Foam fuel stabilizer...and wait until march/april. even after 5 months of rest, all it takes to start is 2 pulls....1 while choked, the next pull and it starts. during mowing season, i start it on ONE pull. powerful??? you bet.

i'm just glad i didn't buy the stihl blower that i was considering. i think it had the 4mix/hybrid engine. when i demoed the stihl, it sounded/felt like it had very little power or torque. my shindaiwa eb630 feels like a top fuel dragster.

i just hope i'll be as thrilled with shindaiwa products when i pick up my new shinny T270 trimmer in a couple of weeks. i'm told the trimmer is simply the best....maybe too heavy for you commercial boys who carry one all day long, but i'm looking for something powerful. i'm also looking forward to using the "speed-feed" head. in fact, i bought an extra head for my 20+ year old Echo trimer (srm2500).

All_Toro_4ME
06-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I have the T 260 and the T231 models for trimmers. Also have the LE 261 for my edger. Very dependable and reliable pieces of equipment.

Lazer_Z
06-20-2008, 03:41 PM
My EB630 backpack blower is a killer machine. admittedly, i'm merely a homeowner but i do care for 4 residential lawns and use the blower quite a bit. i've never had the first problem after 4 years of use.

living in indiana, we have to winterize our equipment. so, in oct/nov, i simply fill the tank with 89 octane...mix in Sea Foam fuel stabilizer...and wait until march/april. even after 5 months of rest, all it takes to start is 2 pulls....1 while choked, the next pull and it starts. during mowing season, i start it on ONE pull. powerful??? you bet.

i'm just glad i didn't buy the stihl blower that i was considering. i think it had the 4mix/hybrid engine. when i demoed the stihl, it sounded/felt like it had very little power or torque. my shindaiwa eb630 feels like a top fuel dragster.

i just hope i'll be as thrilled with shindaiwa products when i pick up my new shinny T270 trimmer in a couple of weeks. i'm told the trimmer is simply the best....maybe too heavy for you commercial boys who carry one all day long, but i'm looking for something powerful. i'm also looking forward to using the "speed-feed" head. in fact, i bought an extra head for my 20+ year old Echo trimer (srm2500). I'm guessing you tried out the BR600, but didn't get to actually use it to blow anything.

I have a T230 that I bought and I liked it at first, but went back to using an Echo SRM2601 now I use a Stihl FS 90 R and the shindy goes to my helper. The T230 I know is a small machine, but after using my Stihl it feels like a toy. I love the speed feed heads though, the only problem I have is finding the arbor to make it fit my Stihl.

Squirter
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
you're probably right about demoing the still 600 you mentioned. my opinion of it was based solely on engine "sound" and not practical performance. judging from the sound of the engine, it sure seemed the shindaiwa was the more powerful blower. also, the throttle response seemed much better on the shindaiwa because power was "right there and now" as compared to a more "slow wind up" with the stihl. i am certainly not knocking stihl products. it's just that i felt more comfy with the eb630. in fact, i own a stihl kombi 110 with the curved shaft edger attachment and i'm pleased with its performance. however, it's just hard for me to feel the power of my kombi because of the difference in sound as compared to my shindaiwa.

any thoughts on the shindaiwa t270 before i drop 400 bucks??? i'm told these are a pretty rare find and i've got one on hold that is NIB. i could also opt for a T260 (NIB) or maybe even a T230...also new in box. i guess these models are "pre emission control" garbage...making them considerably more powerful than the newer models of today.

BarrFarms
06-20-2008, 04:40 PM
I know what you mean on the kombi. I use three km110r's. Let her idle for a minute when you first start it up for the day, it is useless for a second or 2 then it comes around. I believe this may be a problem with all 4-mix's, my ht 101's do it aswell. As for shindaiwa our dealer would rather sell a grasshopper and he only keeps one on the showroom floor. lol I do have a great stihl dealer tho.

Lazer_Z
06-20-2008, 07:29 PM
you're probably right about demoing the still 600 you mentioned. my opinion of it was based solely on engine "sound" and not practical performance. judging from the sound of the engine, it sure seemed the shindaiwa was the more powerful blower. also, the throttle response seemed much better on the shindaiwa because power was "right there and now" as compared to a more "slow wind up" with the stihl. i am certainly not knocking stihl products. it's just that i felt more comfy with the eb630. in fact, i own a stihl kombi 110 with the curved shaft edger attachment and i'm pleased with its performance. however, it's just hard for me to feel the power of my kombi because of the difference in sound as compared to my shindaiwa.

any thoughts on the shindaiwa t270 before i drop 400 bucks??? i'm told these are a pretty rare find and i've got one on hold that is NIB. i could also opt for a T260 (NIB) or maybe even a T230...also new in box. i guess these models are "pre emission control" garbage...making them considerably more powerful than the newer models of today.Those are "per emission", anything with a "1" is a new(er) machine. Go for the 260 or 70 I've heard good things about them, the 230 in my opinion is underpowered.

As far as the BR600 goes, you should give it a second chance. I agree that the sound is different than a traditional 2 cycle, but once you get use to the power and torque you're spoiled for life.

lawnboy dan
06-20-2008, 10:25 PM
buy that 270! it will prob last you the rest of your life. i have 2 and 4 230,s and a 22t-a 260 and 261 edger-a 630 blower and a home pro hedge trimmer. best stuff i have owned yet

zeroturner
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I think Shindaiwa makes great equipment overall. My Shindaiwa hedge trimmers have performed great for over 8 years. I purchased one the first EB-8510s produced and I had nothing but trouble with it. That is not characteristic of Shindaiwa products though.

Space Coast Cracker
11-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I've been using a 231 for two summers now. Wanted something lite for a change. Felt it was underpowered, but after getting used to it, love it. Great for just trimming edges which is mostly what it does. The ability to manipulate the head so quickly enables me to get pretty close to delicate plants without accidents and the speed head lasts longer, loads quicker and feeds easier than a Stihl head with less wear. I'm considering buying a 261 for some heavier jobs I run into.

bob
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I have 11 Shindaiwa products. I just switched my trimmers over to Redmax, because they don't seem to make them the way the use to.

jbell36
11-07-2008, 08:52 PM
ya shindy used to make really good products...now they have this emission bullshit and they don't run like they used to (i'm pretty sure every company is going through this though), basically it's just harder to start them and it takes them longer to warm up, after that they run like the old ones...we have one t231 and two t242s, the speedfeed head is a major step up imo, overall a good product though...

joed
11-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I have the Shindaiwa T230 trimmer. It's by far the best trimmer I've ever used. Lightweight, fuel-efficient and powerful enough for everyday trimming. Shindaiwa has a motto:
"First to start and last to quit."

I can honestly say that in all my experiences with their equipment, this motto has been true...time and time....again.

Can't say that about many companies.

ElephantNest
11-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I have a couple of BRAND NEW Shin T260's for sale, NOT the new emissions type, but the older good ones. I have two left to sell. Never been used. I paid $339 + tax = $368, that's what I want for them.

I own over a dozen shindaiwa products, and love them all. The T230 was underpowered for me, so I dedicated it to an extended hedge trimmer, and LOVE it. I have it, and about 6 each of the T270's and T260's. T260 is great for everyday use, light and powerful. The 270 is good for anything, anytime, anywhere. It is a BEAST, and will mulch a beer bottle into dust in 2 seconds.

PM me if anyone wants a trimmer.

nemow
11-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I've had problems with the t242. They are real slow cold blooded engines. Once you get them warmed up they are fine but my guys will grab the t230 and t231 and leave the new 242's at the shop. If it takes ten minutes to mow a lawn and 8 minutes to start the weed whacker then they are worth nothing to me. WHat a pain. Like I said they run great when you finally get them started but every lawn you have to "warm" it up again. I blame emissions not shindaiwa.

Space Coast Cracker
11-09-2008, 07:34 AM
After using my T231 without a problem for 2 years it started sputtering and stalling. The mechanic thought it was the coil. Replaced it and nope. Now says its a leaking seal somewhere. Going back to the shop Tuesday. Had started thinking about the T242 as a replacement, then read the report about hard starting. Anybody else have any input on the 242? Thanks, Steve

rob7233
11-09-2008, 08:02 AM
any thoughts on the shindaiwa t270 before i drop 400 bucks??? i'm told these are a pretty rare find and i've got one on hold that is NIB. i could also opt for a T260 (NIB) or maybe even a T230...also new in box. i guess these models are "pre emission control" garbage...making them considerably more powerful than the newer models of today.

Hey Squirter,

I am a Shindaiwa follower myself but consider myself open to other brand lines. To answer you. The T260 is very well balanced machine, smooth, plenty of power for all day use and lightweight for the crew to use without complaints. Those units have made believers out of some of those guys. They don't come from the factory already leaned out to make emissions (like all the newer stuff hence, the long warm up times of the ECHO)

The T270 new if it can still be found, is a powerhouse and will tackle anything thrown at it. Again, Powerful, Smooth and lightweight enough for daily use if you're of bigger stature. It's the Best powerbroom out there (PB270). The only other alternative I would consider if one felt that the T270 was too heavy(removing guard really helps) would be a Kawasaki KBL27a. Just as much power as the T270 but a lot lighter in weight IMHO. Real good machines. They feel similar to an Echo but not all leaned out and without the later carb problems.

DLAWNS
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I use Redmax equipment and I love it, but I have to say I think Shindaiwa is great, too. When I was in Florida that was the main brand down there. I used them and had no problems with them.

nosparkplugs
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Over the years I have tried Shindy, Redmax, Stihl weedeaters. All brand & models with the exception of the Stihl FS-250R's have been short lived for us. Blowers, well for me years ago I started out with Stihl BR420 Magnum's before the BR600's were around, It was apparent the Stihl BR420M blowers were underpowered for leafs, but for post lawn maintenace & light leaf work their great & light. I soon was looking for something with more balls & CFM's the Redmax's were impressive, but at the time were very expensive. The Shindy EB630 was the biggest bang for the buck $200.00 less than Redmax, and that was the best choice for a blower, dollar fo dollar, and the EB630 has been relentless over the years. I have had to replace throttle cable's, and the shoulder straps are shredded:laugh: but they just keep running.

My next blower purchase is going to be a tough choice; because the EB630's are out of production now:cry: Leaning towards the Redmax's

here's our equipment breakdown:Stihl is our #1 hands down, choice for weedeaters specifically the FS250R's, MS chainsaws, HR gas hedge trimmers, rough & finish blade models. Stihl pole pruners & pole hedge trimmer

All Stihl FS250R's Stih chainsaws & Stihl HR rough & finish hedgetrimmers, pole trimmers.

Blowers
Stihl BR420's:laugh: Shindy EB630's

I am not convinced anyone brand has the overall advantage yet on these new blowers, so I am running ours until they "blow-up" and hopefully buy then all the "bugs & debating" will be, worked out & done buy then.

S man
11-09-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing you tried out the BR600, but didn't get to actually use it to blow anything.

I have a T230 that I bought and I liked it at first, but went back to using an Echo SRM2601 now I use a Stihl FS 90 R and the shindy goes to my helper. The T230 I know is a small machine, but after using my Stihl it feels like a toy. I love the speed feed heads though, the only problem I have is finding the arbor to make it fit my Stihl.

Rob, Does your fs90r have the same head as the fs80r? Because if so your shindaiwa dealer should have an adapter kit which will fit on the stihl gearbox.

jbell36
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
after shindy stopped making their handheld blower we went to redmax, but it's the same thing, it takes 3 minutes to get going on EVERY yard...you would think after it was warmed up it would be warm for the day...does stihl do this at all? i'm wondering if it's strictly emission control or if stihl has better products now...

Space Coast Cracker
11-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I've been using the br600 for about a year. Nice and quiet, starts ok, good power. The only complaint I have is that its a little heavy and the straps seem to always want to slide off my shoulders. I use a trimmer trap mount, welded to the side of my 6x12 open trailer. It's very handy. I have always used stihl equipment. Ran into a problem when they quit making the solid shaft two stroke for a while as I used a hedge trimmer attachment with it sometimes. Had to buy the new four mix model and found it to be very heavy. The throttle is touchy also. I hate the new gas caps on the four mix models. They wear out and leak or dont want to reseat well after a while.

New Image Landscaping
11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I have a Shindaiwa Ht2510 40" single sided hedge trimmer and a Shindaiwa T261X. I used to use a Stihl FS90R, had a lot of carb problems. would shoot the gass right through the machine without mixing it. If I ever need a trimmer (If they ever die) again, it will definetly be a Shindaiwa.

scagdude
11-16-2008, 12:46 AM
ok not to get off the subject of this forum or anything but what is the difference between shindaiwa and redmax? i mean they look like the same exact machines

New Image Landscaping
11-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Some of the Red Max blowers have Shindaiwa engines like the EB630(if you know the Shindaiwa blower models)and Red Max equipment is just a cheap knock off. Shindaiwa is truely quality equipment. And i've never really noticed the similarities in the equipments design. :confused:

ElephantNest
11-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I currently have over a dozen shindaiwas, and one redmax, the 2401 trimmer. I HATE it. Lacks power, ( i know it's a small one, but the same CC as a T260, and the T260 has TWICE the power). What really bugs me, is it takes 3 minutes to warm up, like mentioned earlier. Every fricking yard, have to warm up the trimmer. WTF? It will be the very last redmax I buy. I love my redmax blowers, but they can shove their trimmers up their noses.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Back packs hedge trimmers and chain saws I'm stihl all the way but weedwackers I love my shindaiwa I use to have 2 t231s we wore them out my employee now owns them both. We try the 4mix they sucked never ever again I ended up giving all 3 of them away. But the old classic 2-cycle equipment you cannot go wrong we use the t261s I own 7 of them would be 8 but one fell off a trailer. They give me about 2 good seasons and we cut about 4000 yards a year so you cannot ***** about those results. Good power not to heavy and very comfortable we like no guard and tend to use them with 20-24 inches of string and they run fine that way where smaller trimmers wouldn’t.

naturescape
11-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I have used a few brands of 2 cycle equipment, have been doing this since '81.

Tanaka products in general BLOW away Shindaiwa. Better power/weight ratio, smoother, last longer, more ergonomic.

Also Shin makes TWO different types of oil, the shin one (which they push) and the shindaiwa Premium (the premium is better oil). Why make an inferior oil?

I loved shin back in the mid 80s, but all Tanaka for me now!

New Image Landscaping
11-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I dont know about Tanakas, but from what I hear they quit and have the same problems as Elephant nest's Red Max.

naturescape
11-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I dont know about Tanakas, but from what I hear they quit and have the same problems as Elephant nest's Red Max.

I have had about 10 - 15 Tanaka products, and they last seemingly forever, trimmers last at least 3 yrs. Just love their stuff!

Tanaka 230 trimmer is 10.2 lbs. WITH guard and head. Shindaiwa's rating doesn't include these two things (look for it in the small print)! Cheating, dontcha think????

I'll stick with all Tanaka, thank you!

Mimowerman
11-16-2008, 05:17 PM
this all depends on what area your from , here in metro Detroit its mainly shindy with redmaxx, echo , honda, tanaka, sthil everything really in between ? I run redmaxx and am very happy

W.L.M.
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I have a t-242 and an eb3410, I agree I love the speed feed head and the 3410 is the stoutest hand blower you can find. No complaints here and I plan on replacing my echo 755 with the eb8510 bp blower and adding a t272 to my arsenal.

jkilov
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
What I like about shindaiwa if the fact they don't cut corners when it comes to craftsmanship. Every thread is tapped, all castings are machined to ensure a perfect fit, proper tank mounts, guard and venting, all engine components etc...

For instance my redmax tank vents through the cap so a spec of dirt will stop it and have to burp the tank each time it cools down. Port gaskets leaked due to inferior machining. Gives me shocks when my hands sweat. Cold natured ..etc.

What I dislike about shin is they don't focus on comfort. What good is a hedge trimmer if it weighs a ton and vibrates like hell ? Not good for productivity, lasting forever is not enough. Fact is, I mainly prefer using the redmax just cause it's lighter, despite inferior quality and having to shake it like a maniac when it's warming up.

New Image Landscaping
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Ive never used the guards on the Shindaiwa's, I remove them to go around palm trees and to edge and what not. True craftsmanship.

KarambaStar
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
I have used a few brands of 2 cycle equipment, have been doing this since '81.

Tanaka products in general BLOW away Shindaiwa. Better power/weight ratio, smoother, last longer, more ergonomic.

Also Shin makes TWO different types of oil, the shin one (which they push) and the shindaiwa Premium (the premium is better oil). Why make an inferior oil?

I loved shin back in the mid 80s, but all Tanaka for me now!

Dude, you seriously need to get your facts straight. 1) Shindaiwa One oil is SUPERIOR QUALITY over the Premium oil. 2) The Premium oil is no longer being marketed here.

I can't say anything against Tanaka, good machines from what I've seen, but by no means do they "blow away" Shindaiwa equipment.

New Image Landscaping
11-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I've tested the Tanaka trimmers and blowers and by no means are they better than Shindaiwa's. Shindaiwa has only made the Shindaiwa One oil.

S man
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I currently have over a dozen shindaiwas, and one redmax, the 2401 trimmer. I HATE it. Lacks power, ( i know it's a small one, but the same CC as a T260, and the T260 has TWICE the power). What really bugs me, is it takes 3 minutes to warm up, like mentioned earlier. Every fricking yard, have to warm up the trimmer. WTF? It will be the very last redmax I buy. I love my redmax blowers, but they can shove their trimmers up their noses.

I agree. It takes forever to get my 2601 trimmers to start. Every yard you have to choke and wait for it to warm up. I might have to come try one of your shindaiwa 260's.

naturescape
11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
I've tested the Tanaka trimmers and blowers and by no means are they better than Shindaiwa's. Shindaiwa has only made the Shindaiwa One oil.

Not true. On their own website, as of two years ago, they showed both the Shindaiwa Premium and the Shin One oils. They have seen the inconsistency in doing this and quit doing it as of the last year.

naturescape
11-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Dude, you seriously need to get your facts straight. 1) Shindaiwa One oil is SUPERIOR QUALITY over the Premium oil. 2) The Premium oil is no longer being marketed here.

I can only go my my own experience and what I have heard from other sources. Two very good other sources, one from Red Max and one from Tanaka, have said the Shin One is not premium. Now, Echo oil, for example, is fine.

In my OWN use, I have used the Shin One on a Shin 630 blower and afer about a month it sounded as though it was going to throw a rod or fall apart. I switched to the Tanaka 2 cycle oil and the blower just got better and better sounding/smoother.

That could be a coincidence. But I HIGHLY doubt it. At any rate, I won't be using the Shin One ever again.

Also, Shin doesn't list weight ratings fairly (in MY opinion) on their products, including blowers (weight w/ no tubes) and trimmers (weight with no guards or head). Simply unethical in my opinion.

ElephantNest
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I have had about 10 - 15 Tanaka products, and they last seemingly forever, trimmers last at least 3 yrs. Just love their stuff!

Tanaka 230 trimmer is 10.2 lbs. WITH guard and head. Shindaiwa's rating doesn't include these two things (look for it in the small print)! Cheating, dontcha think????

I'll stick with all Tanaka, thank you!

Is that a serious statement?? You think a trimmer that lasts 3 years is "seemingly forever"?

I have shindaiwas more than 12, maybe even 15 years old, with hard use, still fire right up and laugh at a day's work like it's nothing. THREE years?? My shin T270 and T260's go 3 years before needing a trip to the shop for a tune up, or a carb tweak, or new clutch or something. Give me a break. Tanaka is not in the same category as shin.

naturescape
11-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Is that a serious statement?? You think a trimmer that lasts 3 years is "seemingly forever"?

I have shindaiwas more than 12, maybe even 15 years old, with hard use, still fire right up and laugh at a day's work like it's nothing. THREE years?? My shin T270 and T260's go 3 years before needing a trip to the shop for a tune up, or a carb tweak, or new clutch or something. Give me a break. Tanaka is not in the same category as shin.

Well, I do replace my trimmers w/ newer, lighter/powerful/better epa rated stuff when it comes out. My only Tanaka trimmer that I gave up, after 3 years, a friend still uses constantly.

My Shindaiwa trimmers (I've had 3 of them) lasted for one season each. No comparison in my book.

If Shin works for you, go for it! I'll take my much lighter Tanakas.

ElephantNest
11-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Sorry man, not to stir the pot, but I call BS on that. Shindaiwa lasting ONE season?? Sure man. I just don't believe it for a second. And the icing on the cake...THREE shins that lasted ONE year?? Uhhuh.

KarambaStar
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah that comment made me realize that your words must be taken with a grain of salt.
A large cemetery here (60+ acres) purchases Shindaiwa HomePro (semi-commercial) trimmer from us (because they want the curved shaft). These trimmers are used 8 hours a day, every day, every week, all summer. They frequently last 2 seasons. I'd say that's quite a testimonial for Shindaiwa products, that a semi-professional, cheapened version of Shindaiwa's top equipment lasts over 1000 hours.
Oh, they run exclusively Shindaiwa One oil. No problems yet :)

naturescape
11-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry man, not to stir the pot, but I call BS on that. Shindaiwa lasting ONE season?? Sure man. I just don't believe it for a second. And the icing on the cake...THREE shins that lasted ONE year?? Uhhuh.

Nope, I'm not exaggerating. And I take care of my stuff, only I use it, also.

I probably just had some bad luck with them, to be honest. But it happened on the last 3 Shin trimmers I had, that was over 8 yrs ago, only have bought Echo and Tanaka since.

naturescape
11-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Hey, NOW I know why it's called Shindaiwa ONE! lol

No really guys, you just go ahead and use what works for you. I'm just reporting my own personal experience.

I will take the 10.2 lb Tanaka 230 trimmer ANYTIME!

ElephantNest
11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I stand by what I said. There's no way. You're full of it.

Please, out of the literally thousands of people on here, find me ONE other person that has had a older model Shindaiwa last only one year, with only ONE person using it.

So.....you bought THREE, and only YOU used them, and they EACH were junk after one year....SO much BS. Not even repairable huh? Just chunked them I suppose? LOL

I'm done. I see your political image in your sig, and I should have known from the beginning. lol

naturescape
11-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Please, out of the literally thousands of people on here, find me ONE other person that has had a older model Shindaiwa last only one year, with only ONE person using it.

So.....you bought THREE, and only YOU used them, and they EACH were junk after one year....SO much BS. Not even repairable huh? Just chunked them I suppose? LOL

I'm done. I see your political image in your sig, and I should have known from the beginning. lol

Everything I told you was the truth, have no reason to lie about it. Just bad luck I guess.... BTW I do also have a Shin. 630 BP blower that I got 4 good years out of, still runs so/so, although I do like my Tanaka BP blower so much more.

I'll leave the politics out of this thread. I'm sure I feel the same way about your politics as you do about mine, and I could care less at this point.

I'm done too.

S man
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Don't waste your time man, I know shindaiwa makes some of the best handhelds. I would love to try a 260 cause my redmaxs take forever to get running.:cry:
Where's Quality cuts? He's a shindaiwa user and raves about them.

R Davis
12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
I have a couple of BRAND NEW Shin T260's for sale, NOT the new emissions type, but the older good ones. I have two left to sell. Never been used. I paid $339 + tax = $368, that's what I want for them.

I own over a dozen shindaiwa products, and love them all. The T230 was underpowered for me, so I dedicated it to an extended hedge trimmer, and LOVE it. I have it, and about 6 each of the T270's and T260's. T260 is great for everyday use, light and powerful. The 270 is good for anything, anytime, anywhere. It is a BEAST, and will mulch a beer bottle into dust in 2 seconds.

PM me if anyone wants a trimmer.

Do you still have any 260s or 270s left for sale? Could you let me know? I am very interested.
thanks
Robert Davis

ElephantNest
12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes, I have one or two T260's left. Maybe a 270, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure all that's left to sell are the 260's.

S Man, anytime you're in the Slidell area, let me know. Swing by and try out these Shins.

dishboy
12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Nope, I'm not exaggerating. And I take care of my stuff, only I use it, also.

I probably just had some bad luck with them, to be honest. But it happened on the last 3 Shin trimmers I had, that was over 8 yrs ago, only have bought Echo and Tanaka since.

What model and what went wrong. I have never lost a motor on t270's and have run them over 10 years and we often see 105 degree days here.

R Davis
12-30-2008, 09:00 PM
[

QUOTE=ElephantNest;2668502]Yes, I have one or two T260's left. Maybe a 270, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure all that's left to sell are the 260's.

S Man, anytime you're in the Slidell area, let me know. Swing by and try out these Shins.[/QUOTE]

I have had nothing but 270s for years. I still have my original from 1996, only had to put a couple of clutches in it. I also have a couple of eb630s, wouldn't trade Shins for anything. Where is the Slidell area?

ElephantNest
12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Slidell is just North of New Orleans, right across the lake.

R Davis
12-31-2008, 08:38 PM

Would you ship that 260 to Richmond VA if buy it from you? Would really like to have a 260 instead of 261 or 272 that dealerships have here in Richmond. Let me know when you can.
thanks

R Davis
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Any news on the T260? I will be glad to pay for shipping, just wanted to know if you still wanted to sell.
thanks

ElephantNest
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM
PM me your contact info, and I will see what I have left.

2low4NH
01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
okay well on a side note im thinking about picking up a shindawia 488 chainsaw anbody have a good or bad thing to say about them.

K/B
01-08-2009, 03:41 PM
okay well on a side note im thinking about picking up a shindawia 488 chainsaw anbody have a good or bad thing to say about them.

Very good chainsaw! It's been around a long time, and has proven it's worth time and time again. Probably one of the most durable and reliable chainsaws ever made. It won't be around much longer...EPA is pushing it out.

2low4NH
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
im buying it in a week or less so i dont think i need to worry to much about the epa. i have read many good reviews on the saw and i tried out one of the shin 377's and i really liked it for a small saw.

Triplex
01-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I originally posted this in another thread, but I cut and pasted it here because it's relevant.

Shindaiwas can take a huge amount of punishment. I used to work on a golf course where some Shindaiwas that were bought when the place opened in 1994 still ran in 1999. The air filters would get beaten off since we'd haul the machines around unsecured in the back of golf carts and they'd get smacked around, and the engines would be sucking in unfiltered air and somehow not die. We even had a few T-20's, which were really homeowner and not professional models, that stood up to the abuse. We were switching over to RedMaxes, which seemed better at the time because they were new and always worked, but looking back I'm amazed at how well the Shindaiwas took abuse.

K/B
01-08-2009, 10:17 PM
im buying it in a week or less so i dont think i need to worry to much about the epa. i have read many good reviews on the saw and i tried out one of the shin 377's and i really liked it for a small saw.

No you don't have to be worried about EPA...what I meant is that soon you won't be able to find any new ones. They've already been replaced with the 490, the 488 is getting hard to find. Definitely grab one while you can.

Big Wes
01-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I've used Shin's for 19 years I've always liked them until I bought a new T242 last year. The plastc choke is a joke and it seems a little hard to start for the most part. I do like the light weight though, but I do believe it'll be the last Shindiawa I ever purchase. I'll stick with the Sthil's from now on, a little heavier but better built IMHO.

KarambaStar
01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I've used Shin's for 19 years I've always liked them until I bought a new T242 last year. The plastc choke is a joke and it seems a little hard to start for the most part. I do like the light weight though, but I do believe it'll be the last Shindiawa I ever purchase. I'll stick with the Sthil's from now on, a little heavier but better built IMHO.

Can you explain why the choke is a "joke"? Does it break a lot or something? BTW, there is a choke upgrade...Shindaiwa reinforced the choke lever on the T242's. It shouldn't be hard to start...have you had it checked out?
The T242 has been a HUGE success for Shindaiwa...it's been very well accepted by commercial users.

Big Wes
01-09-2009, 07:12 PM
The plastic choke pops off. its mount. I didn't know about the upgrade, I'll check on that.

I've only used the weed eater this past season and it's been hard to start. After the first start and engine warm, you shouldn't have to choke the engine to start it, it should start right up after the initial warm up in my opinion. I don't know, I'm a little disappointed with Shindiawa

KarambaStar
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM
The plastic choke pops off. its mount. I didn't know about the upgrade, I'll check on that.

I've only used the weed eater this past season and it's been hard to start. After the first start and engine warm, you shouldn't have to choke the engine to start it, it should start right up after the initial warm up in my opinion. I don't know, I'm a little disappointed with Shindiawa

Ask your dealer to look up TSB-288.

No you should not have to choke the engine when warm...I would have it checked out.
It's always possible to get a lemon...in any brand. I know guys that have gotten turned off on Stihl, Husqvarna because of a bad experience with their equipment.

S man
02-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Just wanted to liven up this thread. I recently got a t260 from quality cuts on here and it's a great trimmer! I still have my other redmax too, it's second best. I'll probably go all shindaiwa from now on.

Triplex
06-12-2010, 09:36 AM

I remember the choke levers used to be metal back in the 90's. I'm pissed at those cheap bastards; I paid $300 for a commercial-grade machine and the choke lever breaks because Shindaiwa wanted to save about 3 cents per unit by switching to a plastic lever! If I wanted cheap plastic junk, I woulda bought a Ryobi at Lowe's and saved about 250 dollars!

JohnBanks
06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I destroyed a T242 twice in one year, the wouldn't replace the second time.. I would say almost POS, they are a lot more comfortable to use but my older Stihl straight shaft has lasted 6 years, it rattles, blows oil, but boy it runs

Darryl G
06-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I've been running Shin equipment from day 1 and love it. Very little problems with them. Good stuff!

Differential
06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I bought the T2510 this year, and am absolutely in love with this trimmer. There's absolutely no warm up time, and if you start it as described in the manual, it's super easy to start (fast idle). It's extremely powerful for it's engine size. What I like most about it is the throttle control. The C4 responds to the throttle very accurately, and around delicate obstacles, you can really control the speed. Af full throttle, it's smooth and doesn't feel like the piston is going to hit you in the head. I can't say enough good things about this trimmer. Of course, the speed feed head is sweet, and as an added bonus, I love the royal blue color. :)

Alan0354
06-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I bought the T2510 this year, and am absolutely in love with this trimmer. There's absolutely no warm up time, and if you start it as described in the manual, it's super easy to start (fast idle). It's extremely powerful for it's engine size. What I like most about it is the throttle control. The C4 responds to the throttle very accurately, and around delicate obstacles, you can really control the speed. Af full throttle, it's smooth and doesn't feel like the piston is going to hit you in the head. I can't say enough good things about this trimmer. Of course, the speed feed head is sweet, and as an added bonus, I love the royal blue color. :)

It's about time the Shindaiwa hybrid engine get some recognition!!! I used to trash talk about those hybrids, but as years goes by, my C4 handheld turn out to be one of the most trouble piece I have. The fact that no warmup is sweet. If you have to start and stop 10 times a day, the warmup came get on your nerve quick.

Both the 24.5c and 34cc C4 engine have been out for many years and don't seem to have any particular issue. If I am correct, even as bad as the EB8510 C4 blower, the engine is not the problem, it's the rest of the blower that flew apart.

Back to the T242, yes I finally bought the new choke unit that the frame is made of metal, cost $10. I have not put it on yet....lazy. So far, I just tape the choke wide open. I still manage to start in about 6 to 7 pull and works!!!

lawnboy dan
06-12-2010, 07:13 PM
look for shindawia to go quickly down the tubes now that echo owns them and they can no longer use redmax engines. look at a current catolog and you will see rebadged echo products with shin names .

Alan0354
06-12-2010, 07:24 PM
look for shindawia to go quickly down the tubes now that echo owns them and they can no longer use redmax engines. look at a current catolog and you will see rebadged echo products with shin names .

Is there any documentation about Shindaiwa using Redmax engine. They are totally different engines. Redmax is Strato charged for quite a few years. I have ALL the IPLs of all trimmers of both companies and I can tell you they are nothing alike.

1) Cylinder of Redmax have side plates on the cylinder because of the complex air ports.

2) The piston on the Redmax have cut out for air port.

3) The Redmax advertized they use forge I-beam connecting rod. Shindaiwa are just simple flat piece.

4) There is not matching of cc of the engine between the two.

5) Shindaiwa has C4 engine that Redmax never have.

6) Shindaiwa use cat converter.

I know EB633 is PB755, the short 20" hedge trimmer is Echo HC151. There is a new 21cc blower have Echo written on it. Other than that, there is no similarity between the two. I bought my M242 after reading about Redmax hard start and need to turn upside down and warmup for long time. My M242 is nothing like that. And I don't think Echo are crap either.

lawnboy dan
06-13-2010, 09:30 AM
komatsu/zenoa made both redmax and shindawia engines. and yes echo isnt just crap-its total crap!

Alan0354
06-13-2010, 02:06 PM
komatsu/zenoa made both redmax and shindawia engines. and yes echo isnt just crap-its total crap!

Until they change their engine design, it is going to be the same Shindaiwa. It would be very easy to see which one is the original Shindaiwa. Echo is not going to re-tool to build Shindaiwa engine. Far as I understand, it is Echo that want Shindy's C4 technology, not the other way. We'll see how it play out in the long run, I don't think neither me or you know.

Echo is crap in your opinion only, there are a lot of people like Echo and have good experience with Echo. Just like all the other brands, you have people like it, and you have people hate it. Echo is the most popular brand here on both trimmers and blowers. So it is like Chevy vs Ford. I personally won't buy the new Echo that have single ring, but that don't make it bad, that's just me. There are plenty of people swear by the new 265.

Differential
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Why would Echo buy Shindaiwa? Maybe there's a patent that they are interested in evolving into the Echo line? C4? Speedfeed?

I would forecast that we will see more Shindaiwa influence into the Echo line, versus Echo influence in the Shindaiwa tree.

Alan0354
06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Why would Echo buy Shindaiwa? Maybe there's a patent that they are interested in evolving into the Echo line? C4? Speedfeed?

I would forecast that we will see more Shindaiwa influence into the Echo line, versus Echo influence in the Shindaiwa tree.

That's how I see it. Echo is a no nonsense work horse, Shindaiwa is fancier. They did talk about Echo want the C4 technology. C4 seems to be quite trouble free from day one and has been out for 7 or 8 years....or more. Keep up with the CARB, the hybrid 4 cycle might be the way of the future. Who want to fight with starting and warmup all day long if you have to drive to many jobs a day. Those C4 are pretty sweet, no warmup and easy starting.

Differential
06-13-2010, 04:22 PM
From what I've seen in the product catalogs, Echo is a little behind on the EPA stuff. Stihl has 4mix, Shindy has C4, Redmax has Strato, etc...

I would bet that we'll start seeing the C4 showing up in Echo products. I personally think the Echo buyout is good for Shindy. Echo has really good distribution, and hopefully Echo will place Shindy wherever Echo is sold and take advantage of the dealer network. I know in Dallas, I wish there was a stronger dealer presence for Shindy.

From a branding perspective, It wouldn't suprise me if Echo takes the Toyota/Lexus branding strategy. Keep the really good Shindy models as the pricier more elite line, and Echo as the lower end, fits everyone approach.

drains
06-13-2010, 04:42 PM
What is this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Swisher-Shindaiwa-Commercial-Grade-Gas-EdgerE4-E3000-/270591098639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f007c7f0f

Alan0354
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
What is this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Swisher-Shindaiwa-Commercial-Grade-Gas-EdgerE4-E3000-/270591098639?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f007c7f0f

Buy it. It is Shindaiwa.

Snapper Jack
06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
This is my first post and would just like to say that I purchased a Shindaiwa T25 back in the mid nineties and it's performed flawlessly all these years with the exception of some minor carburetor issues,other than that ,it's been a real work horse from cutting down over grown grass to cutting trees down. I'm needing a back up unit and was looking at the newer models and i must say,they don't manufacture them like they use to.

Alan0354
06-13-2010, 05:01 PM
This is my first post and would just like to say that I purchased a Shindaiwa T25 back in the mid nineties and it's performed flawlessly all these years with the exception of some minor carburetor issues,other than that ,it's been a real work horse from cutting down over grown grass to cutting trees down. I'm needing a back up unit and was looking at the newer models and i must say,they don't manufacturing them like they use to.

I think people complain about this about all other brands. The CARB regulation really screw up the 2 cycles. That's why we are starting to talking about the hybrid 4 cycles. Shindaiwa C4 being one and Stihl 4Mix is the other. I don't know Stihl, I have the Shindaiwa C4 hand held blower and is very reliable.

Well you see complain just about every brand, so take your poison!!!!

If you like the old models and if you don't mind the weight, get the T272.

Differential
06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't any of the manufacturers "make em like they used to."

dhunterd08
06-13-2010, 05:26 PM
T-260,T-270,EB-630=Best Equipment Out There. Anything with a Shindaiwa sticker on it that can be bought new since 2009=Get a homelite