PDA

View Full Version : Aerating

mattingly
01-17-2000, 12:56 PM
I don't fully understand when aerating is accomplished. Do you do this the same time you are mowing? On another day? If so how do you schedule it around your already full day of mowing etc? I also don't understand those who have walk behinds. It seems like this would take forever with those. What about the tow behinds? Seems like everyone says they tear up the lawn?<br>I've read many of the earlier posts concerning pricing. I came up with my own little guide. Does this look near right?<br>20 dollars per trip(possibly waived on larger lawns<br>10 per 1000sqft for 5000sqft or less<br>9 per 1000sqft for 10000sqft to 5000sqft<br>8 per 1000sqft for 10000sqft+<br>thanks in advance<br>wade

Lazer
01-17-2000, 02:13 PM
Your pricing seems pretty close.<p>Walk-Behinds do take a long time on larger lawns. Tow-Behinds need to have wheels that will lift the tines out of the turf prior to turning or they will tear up.<p>An Aerator mounted on a front-mower (i.e. Groundsmaster) is nice, you can lift up the unit at the end of each pass and do no damage.<p>As far as scheduling: Our applicators do the areation in late summer and early fall. I don't think it really matters if you mow before or after.

NewellMowingCo
01-17-2000, 02:15 PM
Generally, when I aerate in the spring I first mow, then aerate, then fertilize. If you aerate first, your mower will get real dirty and muddy and the dirt will dull your blades real fast. If your customer doesn't want plugs on their lawn, then aerate before mowing. As far as pricing, I think your prices are fair. I would raise the minimum to at least $25.00 no matter the size of the lawn.<br>Justin

jeffclc
01-18-2000, 02:35 AM
I will usually areate first thing in the morning. I have a Lawnaire IV and it beats you up a little bit on hills, and I found that using it at the end of the day is harder than when you are fresh. I will ride on a mower at the end of the day.<p>I will usually do an areation or two a day, as I said, first thing. This has me working when the grass is wet, and after I finish the ateating, the grass usually is drying, and I can be off to mow for the day.<p>I like to areate after the lawn is cut. It seems to go a little deeper,and also has less of a chance of tearing up the turf. <p>If I mow your lawn on Monday, then areate Tuesday, the lawn has about a week before the next mowing, and some of the plugs already are disapearing. <p>I cut one that was areated by someone else. I cut it shortly after it was done, on a dry day. Worst cutting conditions of my life. I couldn't see at one point, and had to wipe off my eye glasses 3-4 times over the course of the lawn.

mattingly
01-18-2000, 07:51 AM
You know I just started to think about this. Rich people, for the most part, don't get that way b/c they are stupid. Most of them know what goes into making a good lawn. And true to form most of them don't want to do it/ they have the means not to. However, it should be easy to sell these features b/c they want to one up their neighbors in the battle of having better stuff. So, like I said in another post they say two aerations are beneficial. Well, sell them on this idea. Get info. that supports this(Ext. bulletin). And cut them a discount based on two aerations a season. Mo' $$ mo' $$$ mo' $$$<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

tim
01-19-2000, 02:22 PM
Mattingly, The trick is to sell aeration twice a year as you said. The BIG challenge is educating your customers. They all know why you need to mow, but they don't know why they should punch holes and litter up the lawn. Don't expect to get aeration customers as fast as a mowing service. I also responded to one of your other posts under aeration.