PDA

View Full Version : The root of the problem (unfortunetly it was a friend)

yard_smart
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I was talking to one of my buddy's the other day and got on the subject of mowing. . .

Him and his dad do it in the evenings after they get off from there 45 to 50 hour a week jobs . . . i was like oh boy here we go

started talking about people on fixed incomes and i BOLDLY stated that i don't even talk to them. . . not teying to be mean just not the demographic i want to target. . . well that opened the can of worms and let me reliezed why mowing is so "whored" out here

He said well you know mr. joe don't ya i said sure he has a pretty decent sized yard . . .my friend continues ya well i do his for 30 to help him out

!!!!WHAT!!! i yelled are you joking . . . i wouldn't touch that yard for less than 50

well this had to be explained and oh boy did he ever lol

"well i figure no more than 10 in gas it take about 40 min so thats better than 20 an hour thats damn good money"

oh man i was heated . . . i said what about uniform/insurance/equipment up keep/office cost/workmans comp/ ????

he said well i don't have all that . . . . thats how i got it from the guy that was mowing before . . . . he was charging them poor old people 60 a mow

I was like wow well do what you thinks best

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!

Runner
06-20-2008, 12:46 AM
The difference is - you're doing it for a living, and he's doing it for side money. About 70% (and that's conservative) of the people you see out there doing it don't have insurance, pay taxes, and have business expenses involved.

newz7151
06-20-2008, 01:32 AM
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!

Everything. Turn his ass in so the IRS can check and see if he is reporting all that income. I mean, he MAY be reporting it all, but if he's out there undercutting everybody else and isn't insured and all the other stuff, chances are he's only taking cash and is putting it all in his pocket (for as long as it takes to get to the liquor store anyway).

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-20-2008, 01:46 AM
It's amazing how few LCO's actually understand what their costs are.

KGR landscapeing
06-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Sad part is i have to hide away freakin 20% so come tax time i have it.:usflag:

laxative
06-20-2008, 03:40 AM
$20/hour is not "damn good money."

Big C
06-20-2008, 04:27 AM

You are 100% correct, but to him with no business expenses except for gas that is a lot......for me or you or anyone with a "legit" business it ain't sh!t!!!!

Richard Martin
06-20-2008, 05:38 AM

In Carrollton, Ky $20 is good money. Look at the demographics...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Carrollton-Kentucky.html

yard_smart
06-20-2008, 07:47 AM
In Carrollton, Ky $20 is good money. Look at the demographics...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Carrollton-Kentucky.html

EXACTLY WHY IM GETTING OUT

yard_smart
06-20-2008, 07:50 AM
http://www.city-data.com/city/Prospect-Kentucky.html

this is the target area for next year!

zemzabob
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
This is your friend?

topsites
06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
They don't want to come around me talking about being on a fixed income, because I'll invite them to come stay at my house for a week and I guarantee they will most likely not complain about their money situation again. :p

Then again it has been some time since one of those conversations sprung up around my neck of the woods lol
At least to where I took offense, or felt like I owed them something, if anything the feeling was mutual.
That is, I'm also well aware of their struggles, most of the time.

DoetschOutdoor
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I have a few friends that are like this as well....granted I did fly under the radar when I had a murray and lawnboy tractor, everything is legit now and I feel much safer and respectable not being a scrub for the past few years. None of my buddies even understand how much money they are really making. One of my friends has an 06 nissan truck that is absolutely trashed from him being a "landscaper". The money he has lost on his nice new truck is probably more than he has made this year and last! Then they go out and work for $20/hour bc hey, thats over double what their normal employers pay. After they pay for gas and what little expenses they do have, they could be making that money working at another job not worrying about being sued when they wreck an uninsured trailer.

MarcSmith
06-20-2008, 12:20 PM
fixed income...BS...we are all on fixed income if you really think about.

Charles
06-20-2008, 01:14 PM

Ya fixen to go broke:laugh:

yard_smart
06-20-2008, 05:04 PM

thats my reply to them . . ..

"I can't afford 50 a week thats a car payment im on a fixed income can you cut me a deal"

"mam with all do respect im on a fixed income too every 20th of the month i have ins do and that never changes . . . . they don't cut me a deal"

:laugh: gets em everytime

DoetschOutdoor
06-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Funny Im readin this as I just had 2 old ladies cancel only 1 mowing after my discounted rate for new customers expired :hammerhead: She told me they were on a fixed income and couldnt do $30 every 2 weeks. I asked her if she got gas lately and told her the days of $20 grass mowing by a company are over. Part of me felt like she was being honest about her situation but a large part also felt like she was trying to get me to mow her lawn with a 6 thousand dollar mower for $20 lousy bucks and my time is definately worth more than that.

I've gotta get off LS and go finish mowing my 4 neighbors's lawns...left in the middle of working to come grab a snack and I end up on here.

MarcSmith
06-20-2008, 10:26 PM
She told me they were on a fixed income and couldnt do $30 every 2 weeks.
but I bet she drinks bottled water, has cable TV, a Cell phone and interent service....