PDA

View Full Version : Help reconnecting...

HandyHomeMedic
06-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Hey guys, I didn't see the damn wire connecting a light by the curb back to the house. My edger severed the wire adjacent to the sidewalk. Can somone please school me on what the proper procedure is to re-connect this. I don't wanna "rig it." Please tell me the proper (safe) way to connect this severed wire.

Thank you in advance.

Steve

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Is this a Low Voltage Light or is this a 120 Volt light?

Chris J
06-20-2008, 08:59 AM
If it's low voltage, and the ends of the wire are still long enough to touch, just use an ACE connector to splice it back together. I the wire is all cut up, you may have to use two connectors and add a small length of wire.

David Gretzmier
06-21-2008, 03:00 AM
if it is 120, they make underground, water proof bury wire nuts rated at 600 volts at lowes. do not use anything less than those. you may need to add a loop of wire, and that also must be rated at 120 volts. lastly, although I do some 120 volt work on MY house, which is legal, you should consider hiring an electrician to do this work. it'll probably cost you 50-100 bucks or so if you do the digging and detective work. I tend to sub out electrical work I am not comfortable with, and you really would not have asked if you were comfortable doing this repair yourself. good luck and stay safe.

HandyHomeMedic
06-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Thank you for the feedback. And, I appreciate the suggestion about subbing out work that one isn't comfortable with. I'm perfectly comfortable with wires and such. My only question was if there was special equipment or procedures particular to this application. Both of you have mentioned different products.

Thank you again. Much appreciated.