PDA

View Full Version : Purposely un-mowed lawns?

Tinkerer
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
If the price of gas keeps rising at this rate, I could see this trend taking off. Purposely un mowed lawns. I wonder how many towns and cities would allow this?

Charles
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
I was thinking about making a thread like this too. I know its dry around here but my area is loaded with lawns that haven't been mowed in quite awhile. The weeds really stick out. I can't remember noticing so many unmowed lawns even during a drought. The city and county will fine people sooner or later if they ignore warnings

supercuts
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
thats a load of crap the towns and fine people for not mowing their lawns....so much for freedom of choice. i guess when our choice infringes upon others property values the gov has the right to do as they please, i also cant stand it when people complain if they live next to a commerically zoned area and then complain about it. well thats why your house was as cheap as it was, now deal with it

Charles
06-20-2008, 03:02 PM
thats a load of crap the towns and fine people for not mowing their lawns....so much for freedom of choice. i guess when our choice infringes upon others property values the gov has the right to do as they please, i also cant stand it when people complain if they live next to a commerically zoned area and then complain about it. well thats why your house was as cheap as it was, now deal with it

Thats the bad news. The good news is we make money cutting over grown lots and the people are glad to pay it because the government is on their backs. We get is down so they can let it grow out of control again, so we can get it down...............:laugh:

supercuts
06-20-2008, 03:07 PM
this is true, not that i agree with ugly lawns, and mine is very manicured, but i dont think towns should be telling us how to care for our lawns

nemow
06-20-2008, 03:13 PM
I have never heard of anyone around here getting fined for not mowing. In the city I have but not out here in the burbs.

GeoMiklas
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Grove City PA has an ordinance that if your lawn is higher than 6", the boro will shut off your electricity first, then answer your questions when you call the boro offices.

That is government in big britches!

Richard Martin
06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
thats a load of crap the towns and fine people for not mowing their lawns....so much for freedom of choice. i guess when our choice infringes upon others property values the gov has the right to do as they please,

It's both an aesthetic and health issue. Tall, overgown lawns are known to harbor a lot of stuff that most people don't want any parts of. Rats and snakes to name two. People that live out in the country have better sense than to let their grass get too tall. The field rats and snakes move in quick.

ProStreetCamaro
06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Fuel prices are not an excuse for a homeowner to not mow there own lawn. Come on we all know it takes no more than 1/4 gallon to mow the average lawn with a push mower.

Lawnut101
06-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I worked for a company that mowed overgrown lawns for the city. We did quite a few every week. Most were forclosed homes, but others were just lazy people. The city just slapped it on their taxes.

zurfsturfcare
06-20-2008, 06:27 PM
this is true, not that i agree with ugly lawns, and mine is very manicured, but i dont think towns should be telling us how to care for our lawns

you say that now but what if your neighbor let their lawn go all year and you were trying to sell your home, good luck, buyers wont even give your house a chance when they see the neighbors yard

jkason
06-21-2008, 10:04 AM
In Trumbull, CT - there is a town ordinance that states the town will try to contact you 3 times to mow your lawn, then will have an LCO do it, adding the cost to your taxes. (Whatever it cost plus $100.00, IIRC.)

93Chevy
06-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Grove City PA has an ordinance that if your lawn is higher than 6", the boro will shut off your electricity first, then answer your questions when you call the boro offices.

That is government in big britches!

Are you friggin' serious?

I thought it was bad that students weren't allowed to walk on the grass at Grove City College...but this is insane.

shovelracer
06-21-2008, 11:09 AM
More than normal around here. Because everyone is in a panic about protecting their home value neighbors are calling each other in. One of my customers actually offered to pay me one time to mow his neighbors lawn. I didnt do it cause that neighbor stiffed me 3 years ago. Another lady called me wanting an estimate cause she got a notice from the town. She was so paniced she had been mowing it everyday since then and couldnt muster the strength anymore. She was crazy so I didnt do that either. Now my neighbor only cuts his lawn when it gets about knee height. It takes him about 6 hours of work to cut it, but with breaks takes all day. Its only half an acre, but hes usually too hungover to spend an hour a week on his tractor. Hes only 24 and has no pride of ownership. Now I fire up my Z every Sat morning at 8 cause they usually are done partying at 3-4. Let it idle out front for about ten minutes then cut real slow. My 2.5 acres takes me no time at all compared to his half acre. My honest opinion is people are not not cutting their lawns because of fuel they are doing it because they are just too damn lazy!

bowhunter74
06-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Around here the city has a crew with Billy Goat mowers and they go mow it (for a VERY VERY high price) and sends you a bill, or puts a lien on the property. People that has had this happen learn the lesson because they get bent over.

ALC-GregH
06-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I think this question is busted. People don't purposely leave the grass grow over the price of gas. Most of the posts in this thread give you the answer, none mention anything about letting it grow because of gas prices. Myth busted! :D

I got into this business because it's a necessity, the grass will always grow, when that happens, it needs to be cut. :cool2:

corey4671
06-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I live across the street from our community center. it is NOT owned by the city but rather by a private group with a board of trustees. All last year they would letit grow up and then some scrub would come in and hack it down with some old POS craftsman..spending all day over there. I went to town hall back inthe spring to find some contact info on who to call about getting the job. LAdy told me that the guy that was hired to mow it would just show up whenever and that they had gotten multiple fines last year because of the grass getting out of control. I told her I could keep it mowed and in good shape because I lived right across the street. Takes me all of an hour and a half to mow it and I have no travel time to get to it. She was more than glad to hire me at my price. I have had so many compliments about that yard saying that it looks better than it ever has.
codes officer called me tuesday evening asking me to take care of a property here in town that had gotten overgrown and to send him the bill for it. I hate to see people in my town not have enough pride in their property but hey, it's money in the bank!
I will say this. My dad could make his farm into nice looking place. However, he refuses to clean it up because he says if he does, it'll cause his property taxes to go up. BULL. I don't think that is the motivation of these people who let their grass grow up either.

ALC-GregH
06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Thats funny, property tax won't go up, they base the value on the property as being a maintained property. Did they lower his taxes when he started letting it get over grown and a eye sore? Tell him to put a garage up, that will raise his taxes. LOL

He's thinking along the lines of a used car, sell it dirty and you'll get less, clean it up and you'll get more. hahahaha

Lordtimothy
06-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Seriously gave some thought to leaving my lawn grow enough for it to go to seed but after a bit the tall grass was just plain and simply to much to take. Corey4671 think there is something to what you Dad says. Last year I tossed on a coat of paint and hauled off a couple of accumulated "treasures" in the back yard and they raised my valuation of the house by $25,000. By the time I finished bitching they lowered it to only a increase of $10,000. Still way to much with all the housing prices falling as they are in my area.

Timo

White Gardens
06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
You can't deny though, that there is some people on fixed incomes, and also have some sort of health problem that doesn't alow them to mow their lawn. Those are the ones I would hate doing.

I've seen the lazy ones too, and you wonder if they have an exuse for not taking care of their house. It is definitivly a health factor for mice, snakes, rats, opposum, ground hogs, ect. That's why I don't mind when the city gets involved.

Big Wes
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
People let their grass grow out of hand because they are LAZY!
The same fools go out and buy Starbucks coffee for $4.00+ for 6-8oz. So the price of gas has nothing to do with it.

Gas prices are never going to go down, be prepared to pay $10 to $15.00 a gallon sooner than you think these days are coming.

ed2hess
06-21-2008, 06:48 PM
In out area there are alot of new folks from various non-European countries that don't understand the need to keep a lawn mowed. And they are now in the majority so standards are going down. Even the HOA communities are having a lot of difficulty enforcing rules. They take over the boards and control ever thing.

nosparkplugs
06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I was on owr HOA board for a term, and their was no question in our situation that memebers wanted to keep the yards manicured; however enforcing the rule is tough, their must be several warning letters even before a fine is levied. So overgrown yards are becomming a common sight. A homeowner who see's a snake or rodent is quick to have their overgrown yard cut also, nature has it's own way of correcting some of our problems.

The City of Memphis has the authority to use it's Scag TT to "wack" your overgrown yard down it will be scalped too. The city charges $300.00 reqardless of yard size, that cost is tacked onto your propery tax so some day they will get their money. Do get calls from home owners in that situation wanting a estimate before the city's deadline.