PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing you've run over

brentcausey
06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
I know this thread is goin on all the time but I couldn't find an old one. You know those banner type deals that are at car lots that run from pole to pole with red white and blue shiny things hanging off of it? Well there was about a 50-100 foot strip of that stuff that had fallen from one of the poles. Sucked it right up in my ZTR - stopped the blades and the belt was smoking as it tried to turn the blades before I could disengage the blade! Had to remove all 3 blades to get all of the rope and crap out of the blades. Almost as bad as the time I ran over the bologna package at a trailer park!:laugh:

Tim White
06-20-2008, 05:01 PM
nest with about 6 baby bunnies, felt horrible, would have wept like a baby but too many people nearby. (sorry but im a rabbit lover!!!)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Boy....around here if you would have wiped out rabbits you would be a hero!
Man those things inflict damage on landscaping plants in the winter.....
(not trying to be harsh, just some fun)

Worst thing I hit, with my 21", was a young squirrel. Cut him right in two and shot him out, didn't even stop the old Toro SuperRecycler:)

nest with about 6 baby bunnies, felt horrible, would have wept like a baby but too many people nearby. (sorry but im a rabbit lover!!!)

greenred
06-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Oh man I feel you pain. One day I was zipping along in the spring on my ZTR and at the last moment I saw a baby fox squirrel huddled up in the leaves at the bottom of the tree, I did everything I could to stop but my momentum made me skid right over it :cry:

I had one lawn that every spring a mother rabbit would build a nest on and as soon as we started our mowers, the rabbits would be out of the holes in a flash usually. Had a few times when they didnt get out quick enough and when I was trimming I found the remains of a baby bunny. But I used to catch them as they would run up against the buildings foundation and just throw themselves at it trying to get away. It was a commercial account and the secretaries always got a kick out of it when I would bring in one of the babies for them to pet. I would do my best to gather them up and put them back in the hole.

TONTAGE
06-20-2008, 06:21 PM
i ran over a metal fan rake with my 48" scag.grass was so high i didnt even see it.i heard it though,thats for sure:)

PEVO
06-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Hit a piece of 3/4 rebar hiding in the grass the other day. The week before i had installed brand new gators of my 60" super-z. Well the rebar was sticking up at a slight angle so instead of the blade slamming directly into it...it kinda skidded up on it trying to shave down the length of rebar. This made a herrindous racket with end result of my trim side blade flying out from under the deck! I sheared the bolt off inside the threaded end of the axle. Scared the crap outta me!

Scagguy
06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Hit a 6 inch cast iron valve cover at a new account last month. Tore up 2 blades on my Z Cat before I could shut it down. It made a ton of noise rattling under the deck.

Uranus
06-20-2008, 08:58 PM
dead skunk. Must have been a fresh kill from the night before. Put it up through the ultra vac.

THEGOLDPRO
06-20-2008, 10:03 PM
mine would prolly be the trashbag full of kittens.

STIHL GUY
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
baby bunnies

Merlin300
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM

I love rabbit next to smashed potatoes with gravy, and corn on the cobb.

greenred
06-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I love rabbit next to smashed potatoes with gravy, and corn on the cobb.

I have hunt and ate both rabbit and squirrel, but the idea of their young getting the old 1-2 from my blades bothers me.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Wouldn't bother you so much if you realized the super damage rabbits (rodents) cause on landscaping plants in the winter time. Of God's creatures....these aren't my faves.

I have hunt and ate both rabbit and squirrel, but the idea of their young getting the old 1-2 from my blades bothers me.

greenred
06-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't bother you so much if you realized the super damage rabbits (rodents) cause on landscaping plants in the winter time. Of God's creatures....these aren't my faves.

No I am quite aware of the "problems" they cause and I am also quite aware of how much running over one bothers me.

lawnboy858
06-21-2008, 04:29 PM
A bird...:cry:

Ramairfreak98ss
06-21-2008, 05:05 PM
mine would prolly be the trashbag full of kittens.

thats sick, not for you but the low life scum that put em there:confused:

S man
06-21-2008, 05:30 PM

I love rabbits too! I have one as a pet.

South Florida Lawns
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
ran over my keys

laxative
06-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Am averaging a rabbit or two per week lately. Usually don't see 'em ''til the next pass. Must be the season. First couple bothered me.

Worst was a foot long chunk of railroad track hidden in high grass.

S man
06-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I ran over my safety glasses. I had them on the mower and they fell off when I made a turn and crunch!

93Chevy
06-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Rebar stake with a buddy's 21." We can look back at that and laugh now. It was kinda awkward for a while...

Green Team Landscaping
06-21-2008, 11:57 PM
worst thing for me was my foot

MJS
06-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Hit a horseshoe and an anvil last week on a vacant lot. The anvil was interesting - I didn't see it till it was bouncing across the property at 60 mph. Actually, it looked kinda like a football, the way it bounced. :laugh:
Put a nice notch in one of the blades though.

gorknoids
06-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Baby rabbits suck, turtles make a lot of noise, but hitting a water moccasin with a hover mower made me feel bad. I was hacked deeply about every 4" and still managed to wriggle into the pond.

freshprince94
06-22-2008, 12:21 AM
I ran over a shoe, some dog chains, dog crap, snakes. Nothing too serious.

jaybird24
06-22-2008, 12:35 AM
A can of hair spray, in an overgrown lawn. I could smell it so I stopped the blades and idled the mower down. Well the engine backfired and ignited a huge fireball. Real exciting stuff.

F.S Lawn Care
06-22-2008, 12:50 AM
2 turtles on one really overgrown field.......absolutley disgusting........but the biggest pain was a metal cable dog leash o my god

bock
06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
News paper, rabbits, 10 foot of rope, metal flags, concrete chunks.....everything!

timmac
06-22-2008, 01:48 AM
garden steel rake that was in tall grass, grill grate, 2 baby rabbits that I know of, lots of dog poo.

stevenf
06-22-2008, 03:37 AM
I have run over a pair of 24" bolt cutters that was hidden in tall grass. My little homeowner ZTR like to exploded!

CajunMeauxJeaux
06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Ran over someones cell phone, just keeped mowing.:laugh: