PDA

View Full Version : Did I get hosed?!?

lawnprosteveo
06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
My '04 Deere Quik Trak 647 finally gave out on me....I reluctantly took it to one of the PITA Deere dealers in town. They told me it needed a new starter. They said the part is $353!!! Labor about $130!!! Did I just take a screwing on this deal?
I swear every time I deal with the Deere dealers around here I get pissed! Seriously considering selling this mower, even though I like it....and buying a used Toro wb to replace it.

DillonsLawnCare
06-20-2008, 11:58 PM
dude, you could have bought that starter for less then 20 bucks, and put it in yourself in about 10 minutes. YOU GOT HOSED DOWN LIKE A FAT LADY IN A MINI SKIRT!! (sick)

DuallyVette
06-21-2008, 12:05 AM
My Kohler 22 to 27 hp mowers use a starter that costs about $100. 10 minute install.

Lbilawncare
06-21-2008, 12:16 AM
If it had a John Deere logo on it then you DID NOT get hosed, those logos are worth their weight in gold. The labor price was fair as long as the service tech had a John Deere logo on his chest pocket. Seriously though, why would someone rip a customer off that bad and not expect them to be irate? I will not buy John Deere products or Lesco for that matter, they think that their name is worth too much. If I were you, I would switch to Toro too.

lawnprosteveo
06-21-2008, 12:24 AM
If it had a John Deere logo on it then you DID NOT get hosed, those logos are worth their weight in gold. The labor price was fair as long as the service tech had a John Deere logo on his chest pocket. Seriously though, why would someone rip a customer off that bad and not expect them to be irate? I will not buy John Deere products or Lesco for that matter, they think that their name is worth too much. If I were you, I would switch to Toro too.
Ive always run all Toro...bought this Deere on a whim...it was used and a decent price...didnt think about have to deal with the dealers.
It just makes me sick to think of the money I threw away....chalk it up as another f*** up by me!!!!!!!!!

MowHouston
06-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Man, sorry to hear about that. Next time try asking on the forums for a solution. Talk about an arm and a leg :(

jp3gordon
06-21-2008, 01:03 AM
I live in Minneapolis, MN. and I have had great experiences with the John Deere dealers around here. I do agree that John Deere is a homeowners choice versus a professionals.

Guzman Properties
06-21-2008, 01:13 AM
WOW, I think they used a fire hose!!!!

Lawnut101
06-21-2008, 02:49 AM
You paid $483 total? Starters are kinda expensive, but I don't know. That seems pretty high.

topsites
06-21-2008, 05:06 AM

Worse.
Transcontinental petroleum pipeline by my calculations.

topsites
06-21-2008, 05:10 AM
If it had a John Deere logo on it then you DID NOT get hosed, those logos are worth their weight in gold. The labor price was fair as long as the service tech had a John Deere logo on his chest pocket.

This was done intentionally, in an attempt to make you guys understand that if you use anything with a John Deere logo on it you can charge your customers more, too... Matter of fact you could consider ordering a shirt with said logo for yourself and don't forget to smile a lot.

Worse.
Transcontinental petroleum pipeline by my calculations.

Tharrell
06-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Usually it's the brushes that go bad in a starter or anything with an electric motor. You can rebuild it for a LOT less if you don't burn up the windings by laying on it.
Recognizing that the brushes are worn is the key. If it takes a little longer to start, don't blame the carb, check the brushes. Tony
btw-I had my Kawasaki bottom end rebuilt for $24 and it cranked like brand new. I took it to a local rebuilder, you know starters, alternators etc...

lawnboy858
06-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Sounds like something my dealer would do to me, save yourself the money and do it yourself. My dealer has a $62.78 estimate fee to look at any piece of equipment, and has a $83.70 an hour labor rate.

Matt

lawnprosteveo
06-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input.....when Im able to walk again, I think I'll sell this mower and be done the JOHN FRICKIN' DEERE forever!

Horsepower Lawns
06-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Why did you take it to the Deere dealer? Any dealer should be able to work on the motor. They may have trouble with some of the "mower parts", but the motors are all the same no matter what they are sitting on.

White Gardens
06-21-2008, 12:09 PM

I agree. Growing up on a farm and having JD equipment, I realized how expensive equipment was to have worked on. Just like and car dealer, it cost a heck of a lot more to have them do it.

Was it worth it??

JD has one of the most informed and educated mechanics that know how to exactly work on that particular machine, The stock replacement parts are going to be 4 times the price. You might have got hosed, but you made an investment on piece of mind, and they stand behind thier work. Also you take it to the dealer every time there is a problem, you might also keep the resale value up that much more.

I agree though, it is much cheaper to do it yourself. Doesn't take much work at all to change a starter. 95% of the time your going to get it right the first time. At the same token, there is a 5% chance to have a major malfunction, and your out more money and nobody to cover it.

All depends on how you look at it.

Like the sig states.

Langford2000
06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Worse.
Transcontinental petroleum pipeline by my calculations.[/QUOTE]

nah - they used the regular "hose" - they just forgot the lube and wrapped in sandpaper;)

capetan
06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
no offense, but in a profession that requires the use of a lot of mechanical/ power equipment you better know how to fix or learn how to fix it, more important than the cost of having a dealer fix it, is the down time and inconvenience involved, there is no way i could wait more than a day to a have a piece of equipment fixed ........ you will only make that mistake once

lawnprosteveo
06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
no offense, but in a profession that requires the use of a lot of mechanical/ power equipment you better know how to fix or learn how to fix it, more important than the cost of having a dealer fix it, is the down time and inconvenience involved, there is no way i could wait more than a day to a have a piece of equipment fixed ........ you will only make that mistake once
I have no problem fixing stuff myself on all my handhelds, 21's, and my gear drive walkbehind....Im not much of a mechanic but I have been able to work on that stuff....but the original problem with this mower was a relay switch that needed to be rewired...thats when they tested the starter and discovered it was bad.

Bottom line is, I probably need to stick with simple equipment like my walkbehind...

DuallyVette
06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I have a JD 657 standup mower. I don't think that the problem that you had was because it was JD machine. Your dealer is a thief. Did you look to see if a shiny new starter is on the machine now. The 657 that I have , has too many interlock/safety switches. I would bet that a switch was misaligned.

I once had a JD 955 compact tractor. It had a leak. My local dealer wanted $125 to fix it.( very reasonable) I stopped by another dealer (MONROE) He told me that the whole rear end of the tractor needed to be taken apart.. $500. My favorite JD dealer..(.kiss a** service, and always the best price on new equipment) fixed it for $60.00. (too cheap)

Toy2
06-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I think your butt is bleeding!!!!

jahbp
06-21-2008, 11:08 PM
If you live where I live you get no dealer support from John Deer the one I used to deal with got bought by some big company, I waited 4 weeks to get my mower fixed and when I got it back it still was not fixed after I payed $400 for a gear broken in the wheel.

Tharrell
06-21-2008, 11:52 PM
No, you didn't get hosed because you knew what you were in for. Seems like Deere is pretty much the same everywhere. I just don't care for them at all.
By the way, why didn't you ask us before you let them plug you like that?
I'm telling you, if you didn't burn that starter up it probably would have cost way under $50 to rebuild it. Tony