PDA

View Full Version : Losing your cool with customers

South Florida Lawns
06-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I never got in a fight or argument with a customer. But a week ago my neighbor pissed me off at my house. I should have beat his face in but my mom and sister were there. Instead I took it out on my tailgate, the guy was next to me and freaked out as he musta realized my truck could have easily been him. All I have to say is don't start something with a person that has a bad temp.

I don't really break things anymore, kinda keep things under control. But every once in a while I totally lose it on stuff and people freak out.

What do you do in these situations, for people that can't keep cool like me?

KGR landscapeing
06-21-2008, 07:07 PM
my dad and i had a not so picture perfect realthionship as i grew up so my grandfather put me threw MMA training growing up. then when i hit 10 i started watering plants for an LC owner who went to my church. so at 10 i went from fighter to pack mule. I lost it at school one day when a teacher calld me a liar. put my whole foot threw a locker. i have gone threw a couple drywall walls on account of crappy gfs. i just have to walk away as soon as i can i stopd answering my phone if you cant leave a voicemail i cant talk to you sorry

mattfromNY
06-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Wednesday I had to walk away from an annoying old lady. She had called earlier this spring, and we played phone tag- I never talked to her, figured she had found someone else- Then on Wednesday she followed me to a customers' home, got out of her car and started reading me the riot act about how I am a bad person for not calling her back, I shouldn't advertise in her church paper b/c the lord would tell me I'm a bad person (in a very small neighborhood, most all of the neighbors were outside doing yardwork, and witnessed the event).... yada, yada. I had to take a reallllyyyyy deep breath and turn slowly and walk away. If she hadn't shut up and gotten back in her car, I'm really not sure what I might have done. I was really tired, behind schedule and she pushed that button, you know the one that makes you black out and forget what just happened!?! (*** story behind the whole incident- last year she hired me to "weed-whack" her lawn once a month, I sent her a bill for $25.00 after the first service- she sends me a check for $800 and leaves me a nasty message on my machine about 'I cant believe you would charge someone on a fixed budget such a high price for just weed whacking!!!- after about 50 phone calls I finally got in touch with her to correct HER mistake, and let her know I am not interested in continuing service for her. I thought that was the end, until Wednesdays little episode)
I guess the moral would be: dont forget to breathe, just walk away man, just walk away.

SimonCX
06-21-2008, 09:32 PM
I never got in a fight or argument with a customer. But a week ago my neighbor pissed me off at my house. I should have beat his face in but my mom and sister were there. Instead I took it out on my tailgate, the guy was next to me and freaked out as he musta realized my truck could have easily been him. All I have to say is don't start something with a person that has a bad temp.

I don't really break things anymore, kinda keep things under control. But every once in a while I totally lose it on stuff and people freak out.

I'm kind of the same way, I try to walk away from arguements at all costs because I have a bad temp runs in the family. But sometimes someone pushes my buttons too far and finds out that I don't back down and I'm not the nicest person to deal with when pissed. I try to bust my a$$ during the day and go exercise and go to the gym to get rid of a bad day and clear my head otherwise I'd go crazy.

ALC-GregH
06-22-2008, 11:02 AM
you guys must be young with no self control.

Team-Green L&L
06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I have found with time that the best position to take with a paying customer is to be silent during a ranting session. They are not directly attacking yourself. They may be attacking your service or pricing, but rarely are they going to attack YOU.

What is more important than winning an argument is understanding the basis of the complaint at hand and recognizing the importance of how you CUSTOMERS feel about your service and...of course...winning that cash in their pocket. To do that you should be a good ear before, during, and after the install. Even if it means some really poorly constructed criticism.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
That's tough. I know I've FELT like cussing out a customer or two, but I also know it'd really damage my biz's reputation. So I have just learned to be sticky sweet on the outside, regardless of the situation. Then, when the situation has passed, assess what happened, who's at fault, if I'm accountable... and proceed from there.

I don't suppose that helps much, but for me it's this: my business and reputation FAAAAAAR outweigh any one ass. Just look at the big picture...

Happy Frog
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
The first thing to do is move on the side. Do not stand in front of the person ranting at you, turn yourself 90 degrees and do not look him in the eyes. It is easier to keep your cool that way.
Second thing is to repeat to yourself that it is his position and you do not have to give credit to it, it does not define who you are or what you do.
Listen to what is said and take the time to hold up the mirror to see if it applies or not.
Remember that you can always drop this customer the next day if you want to.

freshprince94
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I've never got mad at a customer to my face. I have gotten very angry over items stolen from my trailer but that was my fault.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
...I have gotten very angry over items stolen from my trailer but that was my fault.

Soooo.... did you chew yourself out? :laugh:

ProStreetCamaro
06-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Your going to flip on the wrong person one day and end up beaten half to death. Everybody thinks they are invincible including myself. I am 5'11" and 245 pounds and not really fat. I am just naturaly built. I am the coolest most calm person you could ever meet. BUT on very rare occasion if something strikes me just right at the wrong time I snap and see "red". Everything and everybody around me at that time is in danger if they dont back off. The reason being is when I get like that nothing is going to stop me short of somebody shooting me because pain becomes and non issue. At that point in time the only thing on my mind is beating somebody into complete submission at all costs.

BUT it really takes something VERY bad to make me snap like that. Is that a good trait about me? No not really and I know it so I try and keep myself cool and walk away.

It did happen once and thank god my friends were there to stop me. I picked a guy up by his throat with one arm and lifted him up a foot in the air and held him againt the wall with my other arm cocked back ready to cave his face in beyond recognition. My friends jumped on me and grabbed my arm so I wouldnt kill this guy. I wont get into what it was about because it involves race and I dont think it would be best to post about it here.

This just reminds me about the guy that i actually did hit. This dude had been badgering me my senior year in high school. All year long i let it slide off my back. Finally one day he said something and i said F you your starting to ask for it now. He walked up to me and kicked me in my jewels and it stunend me for a split second and before he knew what was comeing I drilled him square in the chest. It knocked him back 5 feet straight back on the ground. He laid there with his eyes rolled back in his head shaking on the ground like he was haveing a seizure struggling to breath. Just as somebody started to call 911 he came around. It took him a while to be able to stand but luckily he was ok. He never bothered me again the rest of the year. I'll be honest thats the very moment I realised how i would react in a situation like that. From then on I have done my best to try and stay cool. It actually scared me for a couple minutes when this guy looked like he was going to die.

I know these arent customers and yada yada so ill shut up now but I have told customers off before. :laugh:

jrush
06-22-2008, 11:46 PM
Just once did I lose it on a customer, I don't know who the hell he thought he was talking to but, I'm not the one. I normally to a point can tolerate some bs, and when it passes that point, I hand my bank card to my wife for bail money. Funny thing is, this a$$ is still a customer, just talks to me alot nicer:waving:

mngrassguy
06-23-2008, 04:45 AM
I can only remember getting pissed at a customer once when I presented him with a bill. He told me to leave and call him the next day after I cooled off.

I've had customers get pissed and yell at me but I just shrug it off, smile and told them I was sorry they were upset. Smile and walk away if they keep it up.

I've told employees to just walk away and we'll talk about it tomorrow after we cool off. Nothing good ever comes out of making hasty decisions out of anger.