PDA

View Full Version : Scag and Bobcat Review

jdhardcab
06-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I found a review of several ZTR's, including two that I am interested in - the Scag Turf Tiger (61" deck, 29 HP Kaw.) and the Bobcat Predator (61" deck 37 HP Kaw/). Here is the link http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Scag-Mowers.html

Actually the ratings aren't too far apart and I have been going back and forth about which mower to buy. One dealer sells both and felt that the Scag distributor in the New Jersey area wasn't as good as the Bobcat distributor in terms of helping to support warranty issues. The Scag is more expensive, but not enough to really affect my decision. I drove both mowers and liked them both. Does anyone have an opinion on the review ratings? I think I have read all the search links for both mowers so I don't know what anyone can add - but I would love to hear any comments from owners/operators of either machine. Thanks!

tacoma200
06-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Bobcat is really big in New Jersey for some reason. I don't know of many complaints with either Brand. As you can see I run Scag but my conditions may be totally different from yours. The Scags are very over built but I see no reason a Bobcat wouldn't suite your needs. As we always say get out there and demo them and see what fits your needs. You will get all kinds of conflicting reports on this forum.

Mike Blevins
06-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I vote for the Scag also. Great mowers:usflag:

SOS Landscaping
06-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I was going to post about this topic myself yesterday. I just demoed a scag 61" with the EFI, this being a top of the line model I thought it would be awesome. Me and a fellow lanscaper friend of mine put it to work yesterday, did all sorts of residentials and a few ball feilds and I know neither one of us were impressed. Mower had great speed and power but did not like the cut at all. Very litle stripping, threw clippings all over the operator. The mower also had a lot of rattling going on and with only 35hours on the machine I know it was not a beat up used machine. On the positive side the hydros were very responsive but it seemed like a little tap did a lot of movement which was good and bad. Im scheduled to test a bobcat during the week and a wright stander. So far Im still a dixie chopper fan... just my 2 cents

capnsac
06-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I bought a cub cadet tank and everyone on here will tell you to not get them. Why will they tell you to not get them? I asked that same question and got minimal responses that weren't bad. Just go with what you like, don't ask any questions on this board about what mower to get.

Lazer_Z
06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Bobcat is really big in New Jersey for some reason. I don't know of many complaints with either Brand. As you can see I run Scag but my conditions may be totally different from yours. The Scags are very over built but I see no reason a Bobcat wouldn't suite your needs. As we always say get out there and demo them and see what fits your needs. You will get all kinds of conflicting reports on this forum. That was the case, but not anymore. I see very few Bobcat Z's. The one co. (Lipinski) had nothing but Bobcat, now I see eXmark and hustler Z's and Bobcat walks. I do know of 2 other company's that use them, but mainy it's eXmark, Toro, Wright, Snapper (Hydro walks),Bunton (same as Snapper mainly walks), Grasshopper (only ever seen 1), a few DC's and I've seen a total of 2 Deere commercial mowers.

WREBELMACHINE
06-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I tested out a 61" Predator with the 33hp genereac and was extremely impressed!! I would take it over the scag for a couple of reasons! For me it turns much quicker than scag and it is more compact!

KatKutter
06-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Bobcats Are made by CGC Commercial Grounds Care. I have used them for years way back when they were made by Ransome Corp. The company is located in Johnson Creek Wisconsin. They are excellent, great machines and they stand behind them 100%. Atleast they always have for me. The guys at the company will speek directly to you if you ever need them. I have had very few problems with the cats, what few times I did they were always there to help. Strong machine, I have had 9 over the years, and some ran over 4000 hours.

lawns Etc
06-22-2008, 08:34 AM
In my S Jersey area the Bobcat and the dealers are very strong little to no problems very few Scags

jdhardcab
06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I found SOS Landscaping's comment about all the rattling going on with the Scag unit he demoed interesting. The Scag turf tiger I demoed only had 20 hours on the clock and it too was rattling quite a bit. Some of the rattling may have been from the Rops and at the time I thought it was unique to the particular unit I was using.

TheOctagon
06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
does anyone know a price list on the bobcat mowers. I havent heard of them much around here.

SOS Landscaping
06-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I found SOS Landscaping's comment about all the rattling going on with the Scag unit he demoed interesting. The Scag turf tiger I demoed only had 20 hours on the clock and it too was rattling quite a bit. Some of the rattling may have been from the Rops and at the time I thought it was unique to the particular unit I was using.

I mean I know a mower is going to jingle a little riding over bumps and what not, but to me and the other guy using it, but this scag was really rattling to the point where I could not sit on an 11k dollar mower for 8 hours day listening to that. When I told the man at the dealer about it he did not seem all that surprised or upset. I figured he would because in the AM i was talking about scags like they were the best things in the world and after I demoed it I was probably going to end up buying it that night. I brought it back said I wasnt impressed at all and he told me to try a bobcat and a wright stander

Mike Blevins
06-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I mean I know a mower is going to jingle a little riding over bumps and what not, but to me and the other guy using it, but this scag was really rattling to the point where I could not sit on an 11k dollar mower for 8 hours day listening to that. When I told the man at the dealer about it he did not seem all that surprised or upset. I figured he would because in the AM i was talking about scags like they were the best things in the world and after I demoed it I was probably going to end up buying it that night. I brought it back said I wasnt impressed at all and he told me to try a bobcat and a wright stander

I have the 29 dfi Tiger. Was the rops on the mower? If so were they folded down. I have noticed the "rattling" that i have on my Tiger is the pins that hold the rops in the up positon. I always have my rops folded down. With the rops down the pins have a little play in them were they slide in and out. They have a cable on them to keep them intact also. With the rops up, there is no "rattling" and of course if you were to remove your rops then again no rattling. No big deal just the rops pins "rattling" a bit .

tacoma200
06-22-2008, 04:01 PM
I've never heard a Scag make any noises other than the ROPS pin when down. I've been on most ZTR's and the Scags seem as tight as they get. I guess they just want out of New Jersey. :)

tb8100
06-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I've never heard a Scag make any noises other than the ROPS pin when down. I've been on most ZTR's and the Scags seem as tight as they get. I guess they just want out of New Jersey. :)

I have the 29 dfi Tiger. Was the rops on the mower? If so were they folded down. I have noticed the "rattling" that i have on my Tiger is the pins that hold the rops in the up positon. I always have my rops folded down. With the rops down the pins have a little play in them were they slide in and out. They have a cable on them to keep them intact also. With the rops up, there is no "rattling" and of course if you were to remove your rops then again no rattling. No big deal just the rops pins "rattling" a bit .

The mower also had a lot of rattling going on and with only 35hours on the machine I know it was not a beat up used machine.

The ROPS will rattle on the Turf Tiger if the two bolts aren't tightened at the folding point. Your dealer probably didn't have them tightened all the way.

SOS Landscaping
06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I think aside from the rattling I wasnt crazy about the cut. I asked the dealer if they changed the blades and he said no he asked his tech to change them before I picked it up and the tech said the blades were fine, they were the original blades the machine came with and never sharpened. The hydros too like I said a little hair of touch and it moved it a lot so keeping straight on wide open fields was not all that easy

tacoma200
06-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I think aside from the rattling I wasnt crazy about the cut. I asked the dealer if they changed the blades and he said no he asked his tech to change them before I picked it up and the tech said the blades were fine, they were the original blades the machine came with and never sharpened. The hydros too like I said a little hair of touch and it moved it a lot so keeping straight on wide open fields was not all that easy

Different machines are favored in different parts of the country. Scag may not be the best for your area. I do know they are solid and have the sales and long reliable history to prove it. Scag and Grasshopper are favorites here with Exmark, Gravely and Dixie making some head way. I think most major brands are pretty reliable but different decks will preform better in some area's than others. Bobcat is not very popular here and the future doesn't look too bright for them even though we have dealers around. Go further to the South East and Hustler is very popular but you can't find one here. Go to the North East and many area's Walker is extremely strong but I've never seen one in use. Most brands use the same engines, pumps, motors etc so basically most commercial ZTRs should provide years of reliable service with dealer support being one of the most important factors. I listened for any sign of a rattle on mine today and couldn't hear anything and after reading thousands of post it is hard to find anything much negative about Scag or Bobcat. Some but not much.

Mike Blevins
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Different machines are favored in different parts of the country. Scag may not be the best for your area. I do know they are solid and have the sales and long reliable history to prove it. Scag and Grasshopper are favorites here with Exmark, Gravely and Dixie making some head way. I think most major brands are pretty reliable but different decks will preform better in some area's than others. Bobcat is not very popular here and the future doesn't look too bright for them even though we have dealers around. Go further to the South East and Hustler is very popular but you can't find one here. Go to the North East and many area's Walker is extremely strong but I've never seen one in use. Most brands use the same engines, pumps, motors etc so basically most commercial ZTRs should provide years of reliable service with dealer support being one of the most important factors. I listened for any sign of a rattle on mine today and couldn't hear anything and after reading thousands of post it is hard to find anything much negative about Scag or Bobcat. Some but not much.

I am seeing more and more Scags here also. There used to be alot of Exmarks but I think the Triton was a real killer here. Not any Bobcats here either. I think the grasshopper is a great mower and there are a few around. But I just got off of my tiger a few minutes ago and the "rattling" was coming from the "break" in the rops when folded. I got off and hand tightened the screws down and wa la no more "rattling". As far as cut I don't know what to tell them. my customers are very satisified witht he way the ol Scag cuts.

Lawnut101
06-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Bobcats Are made by CGC Commercial Grounds Care. I have used them for years way back when they were made by Ransome Corp. The company is located in Johnson Creek Wisconsin. They are excellent, great machines and they stand behind them 100%. Atleast they always have for me. The guys at the company will speek directly to you if you ever need them. I have had very few problems with the cats, what few times I did they were always there to help. Strong machine, I have had 9 over the years, and some ran over 4000 hours.

This is all true. I'm a big Bobcat fan. Mainly because my great dealer sells them, but also because they have a great machine for a great price. Now, I've never used a Scag before, but most everything I've heard about them is good. So, either way you will be fine. It all comes down to, do you want a Green or Orange cat??

tacoma200
06-23-2008, 04:13 AM
This is all true. I'm a big Bobcat fan. Mainly because my great dealer sells them, but also because they have a great machine for a great price. Now, I've never used a Scag before, but most everything I've heard about them is good. So, either way you will be fine. It all comes down to, do you want a Green or Orange cat??

Yea, I agree. If they cut well in your area and you get good dealer support either one would be a good choice.

Some decks do better certain parts of the country though.

sesails
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Read all the reviews. Especially the bias ones from http://www.scag.com/comments_sample.html - Those were really slanted.
Anyway, I have no problems with the mower ("Freedom") except for the parts replacements. A gas cap replacement is $42.00, a muffler in excess of $100.00 and NO rear hitch for an implement such a grass seeder or for a small cart. When I asked my dealer here in North Georgia I received a smart a** remark that "Scag doesn't include it because it costs them money to make it a standard feature. If you want a factory add-on it'll run you over $40.00+.

Would I purchase another, No.

djagusch
04-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Back to the original post.

Your operating cost on fuel alone should be one factor. 29dfi gets about a1gal/hr, the 37hp gets 1.5gal/hr or more by reviews on here (some stated over 2gal/hr. That's $2 plus per hr difference 2000hrs that's 4k or more.
Posted via Mobile Device