PDA

View Full Version : Mowing Over Grown Lawns

The Green Barber
06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Hello, I Was Wondering What I Should Bid For Mowing Two Properties Once A Month. The Two Properties Are Within A Minute Of Each Other. Lots Are Maybe 9000sq Ft. But Are Heavily Over Grown. It Is For A Town Contract. Open Bid. Again The Town Only Wants It Mowed Once A Month. The Town Does Not Own The Properties, But The Homes Are Foreclosed Or Up For Sale And Owners Are Not Maintaining The Properties. I Would Charge $30 For A Weekly Contract But I Don't Know What To Charge For Overgrown Lawns And Only Once A Month For The Town.

mattfromNY
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
My experience with this sort of thing- They are looking for cheap, cheap, cheap. I put in bids all the time- double the cost of a regular mow + a little more (If I wreck one set of blades, it will cost me $50 to replace). I have yet to get one bid for a municipality. Doesn't hurt my feelings any, except that when I see the lawns after they are mowed they usually look like sh1t. I guess they get what they pay for.
Matt.

johnnywill08
06-21-2008, 06:48 PM
honestly couldn't even read your post because i had a seizure from the all caps first letter-thing..... weird.

Icepuck72
06-21-2008, 06:52 PM
honestly couldn't even read your post because i had a seizure from the all caps first letter-thing..... weird.

I was thinking the same thing....that's alot of holding the shift key down for every word.....:nono:

CrewKut
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I am not an expert at these things. If you would charge $30 to cut weekly, then that would be $120 a month. Since they only want it cut once a month, it will take more time and effort than a weekly cut, but probably not as much time as four cuts. So, maybe somewhere between. Maybe $90 per month. That is provided you don't have to haul debris or do excessive trimming.

I don't know if any of that made sense. I may be way off base. I'm sure someone that knows more than I do will post thier thoughts. :waving:

Dan

EMJ
06-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Call the town and ask what past bids have been for propertys of the same size. It should all be public record. Once you know what the bids were, you can see if it is worth tring to beat them. Around here a normal yard in the city is around 70 to 80 dollars a month. If it is done by code enforcement it is 125 to 150 per cut. That is done by what ever company has won the bid for the year.

RonB
06-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I was thinking the same thing....that's alot of holding the shift key down for every word.....:nono:

I HAVE READ THAT IF YOU USE ALL CAPS THE SITE DOES THAT - LETS SEE, JUST USED ALL CAPS.

huh- guess it's a myth.

93Chevy
06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've been wondering how nervous you guys are about mowing real high grass. What if there's a rebar stake, or a rock, etc. in the mix of high grass? What kind of precations are there to avoid hitting those, save to mowing slow and watching in front of you?

mattfromNY
06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've been wondering how nervous you guys are about mowing real high grass. What if there's a rebar stake, or a rock, etc. in the mix of high grass? What kind of precations are there to avoid hitting those, save to mowing slow and watching in front of you?

Walk the property really good, price accordingly. How do you know the crazy neighbor didn't drive a survey stake into your favorite customers' lawn? You dont really, that is why you price overgrown lawns accordingly and explain to the customer why you price it this way. You take a chance either way you go- either take a chance and price it low and hope nothing breaks, or take a chance and price it high and maybe you'll get the bid or not.

laxative
06-21-2008, 09:05 PM

There always is. Be surprised when you don't hit anything. And have a lot of blades. Last year the ground vanished beneath my WB and it fell maybe 10 feet into a ditch I thought was a lot farther away. Had to pull it out with the truck. Glad it wasn't a rider. **** happens.

Go slow and be prepared to shut down or back up. And maybe use a mower you can muscle out of stupid situations.

deere615
06-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I did a lawn this past week that hasn't been cut once this year! The lady lives out of state and apparently she was paying another landscaper and they weren't cutting it:hammerhead:. Itry not to do high ones all the time but I got a weekly account out of this one.I also walk through the yard before I cut it

The Green Barber
06-21-2008, 11:43 PM

Sorry, I guess when beer spills on the key board it apparently makes the caps lock key stick. If you need some meds for the seizure
I caused you just send the bill:dizzy:

doubleedge
06-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Sorry, I guess when beer spills on the key board it apparently makes the caps lock key stick. If you need some meds for the seizure
I caused you just send the bill:dizzy:

I dont see how a stuck caps button would capitalize the first letter of each word.... Anyways, I would charge like $10 extra to deal with the tall grass.

CrewKut
06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Beer induced "Selective Caps Lock Syndrome" ...... tragic, but treatable. :drinkup:

Dan

topsites
06-22-2008, 12:37 AM
It all depends how tall is the grass, how thick?
Because it can be up to my neck so long there's a blade every three feet or so,
since these are abandoned lots it could be really bad but it might not be bad at all.

So if it really needs it weekly and they want it monthly charge four times the weekly price,
otherwise bid accordingly.

The Green Barber
06-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Beer induced "Selective Caps Lock Syndrome" ...... tragic, but treatable. :drinkup:

Dan

Yes, thats, what it was, oh well maybee I just need to drink more beer*trucewhiteflag*:hammerhead::drinkup:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-22-2008, 12:00 PM
You can do this sort of thing....BUT
Triple your weekly price on them and set a clear expectation that the cut you will leave will not be up to your standards but is the best you can give them under the circumstances that they are allowing. NO double cutting, leave it look like a hayfield.

CrewKut
06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes, thats, what it was, oh well maybee I just need to drink more beer*trucewhiteflag*:hammerhead::drinkup:

Good luck with the bid. :usflag:

Dan

DillonsLawnCare
06-22-2008, 12:33 PM
ya......................

david shumaker
06-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not cutting anymore overgrown yards unless I get paid for a full cleanup of yard. Usually these yards have all kinds of sticks, trash, rocks, etc to pick up and you can still miss something like a brick or steel pipe sticking out of the ground. I would charge 3 or 4 times regular price for 1st mowing and maybe a little less once yard is cleaned up and you can see what you are cutting. High grass takes longer, more gas and wear and better chance of damaging blades or mower.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Nearly every time I do severely overgrown lawns I regret it. So bad for the equipment (and my allergies)...

But it DOES pan out on occasion. But I always price hourly for these jobs - b/c you just never know what you're up against. I also carry a set of garbage blades for these jobs so I don't have to worry so much about thrashing them. In fact, bent the living crap out of one on a field cutting on Thursday...

Icepuck72
06-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I just recently did an estimate on a yard, probably a quarter acre...very small lot. Front was fine, but side and back yard was just insanely tall. I measured some spots....4 ft tall.

Called the guy back and told him $400 bucks. He said I was crazy. I strongly encouraged him to call other lawn companies in the area and if they were cheaper, to please use them. I personally didn't want to cut it. He ended cutting it himself, took him 5 hours.

I now cut his yard weekly for $50 bucks. :)

CGlisson
06-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not cutting anymore overgrown yards unless I get paid for a full cleanup of yard. Usually these yards have all kinds of sticks, trash, rocks, etc to pick up and you can still miss something like a brick or steel pipe sticking out of the ground. I would charge 3 or 4 times regular price for 1st mowing and maybe a little less once yard is cleaned up and you can see what you are cutting. High grass takes longer, more gas and wear and better chance of damaging blades or mower.

Same here. I tell the customer my weekly price is contingent upon them getting a yard clean-up first. I have had three properties like this in the past month. I go in and trim the entire thing first if it is over 2 ft. high. It seems like this would take longer, but it looks better afterward and in my experience has been quicker. After you trim, you rake up a few piles of the worst grass. This way you can tell them when you price the lawn that you have to trim the entire lawn by hand, haul away the grass, and THEN mow it. That way they are more understanding of your price. I charged $175 for what would normally be a $40 cut. I was out of there in 2 hours, not bad money.

In your situation, its a yard clean-up every month, right?

The Green Barber
06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Same here. I tell the customer my weekly price is contingent upon them getting a yard clean-up first. I have had three properties like this in the past month. I go in and trim the entire thing first if it is over 2 ft. high. It seems like this would take longer, but it looks better afterward and in my experience has been quicker. After you trim, you rake up a few piles of the worst grass. This way you can tell them when you price the lawn that you have to trim the entire lawn by hand, haul away the grass, and THEN mow it. That way they are more understanding of your price. I charged $175 for what would normally be a $40 cut. I was out of there in 2 hours, not bad money.

In your situation, its a yard clean-up every month, right?

Yes, the town only wants it cut once a month. The yards are small, like less than a 1/4 acre. I would say around 8000sq. ft. I walked the yards, and it has some rocks and other debris that needs to be cleaned. I'm going to triple my normal cut price, and take the advice from you and others on this site. :walking:

hole in one lco
06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
well 9,000 would $50 a cut 1 a month $240 and i do city props good money

hole in one lco
06-22-2008, 10:08 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2382027&postcount=5313
this is one i did last week 400 2 hr 1 guy

Mickhippy
06-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Have a look at post 15 and 16...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115684&highlight=first+cut&page=2

mngrassguy
06-23-2008, 02:49 AM
I've mowed some real nightmares over the years. One had a dog tie out hiden under the grass. Took twice as long as it should have just to untangle it from the blades. Another had coffee cans around some small trees that were hidden in very tall grass.

Most cities charge by the hour added to the property taxes. Usually $150.00 or more.

Bid high. If you don't get it, no big loss.

deere615
06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Heres the one I did last week
Before:
After: