PDA

View Full Version : Okay now what should I do?

ipdking711
06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
well I got myself a 21" push mower and weed whacker. I am starting small due to low starting budget:(. This will change soon I hope.

My question is what should I do now? Get myself a business license and? Where and how should I advertise? Going to put out 40 dollars a cut to start and see how that goes, but should I put an add in the paper? Business cards? Door to door? Help me get this show on the road please!

Tom

RonB
06-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Network friend, relatives. Look for yards that need cutting and ask. Give cards to everyone you meet and know. Not sure on the going price in your area.

And get a blower, or a broom. You'll be expected to clear the clippings from the walkways.

dura to the max
06-21-2008, 09:54 PM
dont advertise your price. each yard is different. 2 yards could be the same sq footage, but one could be a slope that takes an hour to cut w/ the string trimmer. door to door sometimes works, you could try craigslist, and the paper. word of mouth is the best. i also have buddies that are LCO's that send me work. ive gotten numerous yards out of them. dont know the best way to get new clients, but i hope this helps.

capetan
06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
you might want to do some landscaping to, put an ad in craigslist, get some business cards made, use this year to learn and grow business, over the winter, do all the paper work and become a LLC, and get ready for next year ..... dont expect to make money this year or maybe even next year, get the customers and invest in more equipment and resources ....... good luck

mowerbrad
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Ad in the paper, business cards, flyers, magnetic signs on your truck, and tell friends and family to tell their friends about you and hope that you get some business. Word of mouth is great. I've found that the best advertisment for me is word of mouth, but ads in the paper and signs on your truck should work well. Always have business cards with you, that way when someone approaches you about a job you will have a card to give them. Try to get your name out into the community, do things that could get your company noticed. Good luck!

ipdking711
06-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I think I am stepping in a smidge late for the year but better late than never. I am going to get a few hundred business cards and a newspaper add.

JMiller08
06-22-2008, 12:23 AM
I am in the same boat you are however i started a few monthsa ago. I reccomend doing some landscape installs, that will give you some cash. Sink it into all the equiment you will need. One guy said a blower or a broom. Deffinatly go for a backpack blower it will pay for itself in the fall. Broom is very time consuming. Save up some money to get your business legal, LLC, and insurance this winter. Market like crazy. Good Luck Man.

ipdking711
06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I will follow all the adive given. Thanks a lot. About doing landscape installs, won't that involve larger more expensive equipment?

VT MOWER
06-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Another way you could get more $$$ for your business in the spring is to mulch and edge in the spring before the grass is ready to mow in your area.
You could start out with a stick edger instead of putting out thousands of $$ for the commercial units. There is a mulch estimator here on the site that will help you figure out how much you need based on how thick you want to apply.

I am in the same boat you are as well. Just got my trailer (6 1/2 x 12) as well as all the hand tools, 2 trimmers, gas cans, Toro 21" recycler mower. On Aug 1st is when I pick up my 2008 Exmark TTHP 48" w/b with sulky (dealer demo with 18 hrs on it!) and I'll order the Accelerator aluminum bagger for it with the 6.5 bushel option.

This year will be a learning year for me as well. This site is great! Going to talk to an accountant about filing LLC, along with all of the tax implications with it. Insurance will be next before I start up my mower as well.

GOOD LUCK! :cool2:

Big Bad Bob
06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I will follow all the adive given. Thanks a lot. About doing landscape installs, won't that involve larger more expensive equipment?

Most of the equipment you could get from a rental place. Just be sure to include the rental cost into the price of the install.
A good place to start is to do rock and mulch installs. All you need then is a few shovels, rakes, a good wheel barrow, a pickup and a strong back.
Always lift with your legs.:weightlifter:

ipdking711
06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
So should I label myself a landscaping business and if I get big jobs simply turn them down? I can put some gravel in a driveway, or lay some mulch, but I certainly can't do too much more without a tractor or dump truck of my own.

I guess a good question would be, what else can I do other than cut grass lol?

DeepGreenLawn
06-22-2008, 02:40 PM
A smidge late? I think it will be tuff starting so late.

ipdking711
06-22-2008, 03:14 PM
So am I wasting my time trying to get out there?

mngrassguy
06-22-2008, 03:59 PM
It's never too late, IMO. Many lowballers are now booked up so I tend to get better prices now.

Tree & Shrub Trim & Shape is good money this time of year. Also weed pulling, small tree planting, mulch enhancement, small sod jobs, ect. I even do small area topdressing with black dirt and seeding.

Mid-August is a good time to do aerations (rent one), overseeding.

Good Luck

DeepGreenLawn
06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I am not saying don't do it, I am just saying that it will be a little harder to pick up business. Here it isn't too bad. People get their companies in the early spring and again about a week or two ago. The heat hits and noone wants to get out there so then they come looking for us.

Big Bad Bob
06-22-2008, 07:44 PM
So should I label myself a landscaping business and if I get big jobs simply turn them down? I can put some gravel in a driveway, or lay some mulch, but I certainly can't do too much more without a tractor or dump truck of my own.

I guess a good question would be, what else can I do other than cut grass lol?

Find someone with a dump and hire them to haul. That's what I do. And you can easily get them to discount and bill the customer.