PDA

View Full Version : can i fit a 52 wb in a pickup

yorkpaddy
01-06-2002, 01:06 AM
I'm thinking of buying either a 52 or 48 hydro walkbehind soon, and I want to get suggestions on whether or not i could fit the 52 into my pickup truck, i'm not yet ready to buy a trailer.

geogunn
01-06-2002, 01:53 AM
york--a 48 or a 52 are just about 48 or 52 inches wide.

go out and measure your truck and you'll know how close you'll be.

you'll probably want to pull those discharge chutes, however.

GEO

heygrassman
01-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Dodge Ram I used to have would sqeak a 4x8 sheet of plywood in on top of the wheel wells. Doubt you can clear the wheel wells with a 48 or bigger

jf

Here we go Steelers, Here we go....

yorkpaddy
01-06-2002, 02:05 AM
i know it won't fit between the wheel wells, i was wondering if i could back it up, and keep the deck over the tailgate.

Stinky
01-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Sounds awful dangerous to me!!

KDJ
01-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Find a cheap trailer

LAWNGODFATHER
01-06-2002, 05:22 AM
You could steel a little of Mr. Lawrance "X" Stones idea.

http://www.handyramp.com/page9.html

Also check out "Stone a green super lawn truck 2002"

It can be backed in as there will be plenty of clearance. Make sure you sacure it well.

Redmowers
01-06-2002, 10:21 AM
My 48" Honda will fit in a Chevy pickup with a bedliner,it is tight though,no slopping around .Total width is 49"I don't know if I would want to back it up on a truck with ramps buy a trailer instead.I only loaded mine once in the truck and that was to bring it home ,it has been trailered every since.

lawrence stone
01-06-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by yorkpaddy
I'm thinking of buying either a 52 or 48 hydro walkbehind soon, and I want to get suggestions on whether or not i could fit the 52 into my pickup truck, i'm not yet ready to buy a trailer.

These machines are quite big for a suburb of Wash DC.

Are not there many 36" gates to pass through?

If I were operating in your area I would be using my 32" or a 44" wide machine out of a p/u with a handy ramp.

My 52" and 62" machines are on a trailer. Makes it easy to take the big "guns" out for a stroll when needed. This way you can drop the trailer off at a large site with a laborer as you do the smaller prosperities solo in that area.

yorkpaddy
01-06-2002, 06:57 PM
I already mow a 4 acre lawn with my 36, its a struggle takes about 4 hours, I want the hydro because that lawn is on a hill, not steep, but the transmission belt is always slipping (probably needs replacing), right now i mow that lawn once every 2nd or third week for 200, but its being sold, and if i can retain it, then I will be mowing all 7 acres every week for probably $300-350(currently those back areas are just fields). I also might pick up a nursing home. I'm also in college, i don't do this full time, i'm not sure how that factors into it. But i put about 150 hours a year on the 36, i'd like to get that up to 200-300, but anything above that would cut into other activities.

yorkpaddy
01-06-2002, 06:58 PM
oh yeah, a trailer is a lot of bother that i'm not interested in right now. I'd have to find a place to keep, right now my truck sits in front of my parents house. and there'd be extra insurance.

edward hedrick
01-06-2002, 09:51 PM
I have a 52 Lesco. I put it in my Nissan Long bed. I built a platform
in the bed, 2 2x6xbedlength 3 2x4 on top of 2x6, 3/4"
plywood for deck, I made a small ramp from deck to tailgate.
2 2x12 ramps, ramps fit under deck for storage. Now I have a 6x12 traile, and full size Chevy 1500. I can send a photo. Ed

Grass_Slayer
01-06-2002, 10:46 PM
funny story, has nothing to do with the trailer or pickup, just to show how tough old gravely wbs are. my grandfather had it in a truck with the gate down. pulled out of the drive and it rolled out the back. didnt hurt it, still runs good too. 1970 model

rodney
01-06-2002, 11:10 PM
if you dont want a trailor .
cut some 3/4 ply wood and make a ramp from gate to top of wheel well . next make one from the plywood to the window and level with the top of wheel well. now you could get a 61" on there if its full size truck .

PaulJ
01-07-2002, 12:57 AM
I've loaded my 52 lesco hydro in my 77 gmc pu a couple times to take to and from the dealer 100 miles away. 8ft 2x8 ramps, back it up and it barely fits behind the wheel wells. be VERY carfull going up and down those ramps. went in forward once and wheelied the deck over the wheel wells, (wasn't my idea).

Can it be done ?yes
good idea for every day use ?no
at least not without a custom ramp gate.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-07-2002, 08:06 AM
oh yeah, a trailer is a lot of bother that i'm not interested in right now. I'd have to find a place to keep, right now my truck sits in front of my parents house. and there'd be extra insurance.

My ins. for each utility trailer is $23 a year.

65hoss
01-07-2002, 08:29 AM
I guess someone needs to say this. What a stupid, unsafe idea!

Backing it in could be dangerous for you, hanging over the edge and driving could hurt someone else. Your worried about insurance, what the hell do you think liability will be if that mower rolls out of the truck and into a moving car? Small trailer is cheap and so is the insurance. Mine is like LGF's. $23!!!

If your worried about trailer and insurance, I'm pretty sure that's not the only insurance you DON'T have.

Your worried about buying a 48". Going up from a 36". Have you priced a 48" hydro yet? They are more than double a 36" belt. If your going to spend that type of money for a hydro 48", spend the extra $300 and get a trailer. Not to mention insurance.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-07-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
You could steel a little of Mr. Lawrance "X" Stones idea.

http://www.handyramp.com/page9.html

Also check out "Stone a green super lawn truck 2002"

It can be backed in as there will be plenty of clearance. Make sure you sacure it well.

Originally posted by 65Hoss
I guess someone needs to say this. What a stupid, unsafe idea!

Some one did say that, but it can be done safely.

Also I got my handy dandy measuring tape out today, and My WB will fit backed in with the tail gate closed on an 8' bed pick-up.

But I do agree with you on the maby possability of veuge ins.

As it stands, some do not have the ability to store a trailer, so I will strive to help in this situation.

The best he can do is figure what mower he will get and then measure it to see if it will fit properly and safely. Otherwise the bed extender will have to be used. If you went to that then I would suggest a trailer.

At $25 a year for ins. plus $60 for 3 year tags, I do not see a reason for not having one.

lawrence stone
01-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Now with more information here is my suggestion:

Forget about buying a 48 or 52!! For a few hundred more buy a 60" EXmark ECS with a two wheel sulky. With a Stone-a-green type truck with a 2' bed extension you could get the 36 sideways or somewhat sideways across the front. Then you can walk up the 60" hydro in reverse.

With this combo you could service accounts up to 10 acres with much efficiency.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Are you going to patent that now Lawrence Stone? (yeah I spelled it right this time)

I guess I sold you on Exmark now too? huh

yorkpaddy
01-07-2002, 11:48 AM
to get a mower up backwards do you have to push down on the handlebars so it doesn't catch?

yorkpaddy
01-07-2002, 12:05 PM
your right, i don't have insurance, I wish i did, but i don't do enough business to justif its expense, I'd like to hear what you pay for it though. If I decide to stick with the lawn business after college i'll get insurance

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Yorkpaddy-- You might want to give up on the whole truck/trailer idea and go with a van. Especially if you are solo, which it appears you are. I have a Chevy G-20 van and can fit a Toro 44 inch very easy. A 48inch might fit but I never tried. I'm just pro van because its so easy to get into tight spots, your stuff stays dry, don't have to worry about stuff getting stolen while your'e eating lunch , etc....

LAWNS AND MOWER

bubble boy
01-08-2002, 12:36 PM
hey york paddy you dont have the business to justify the expense? what comes first the chicken or the egg?

anyway, if your asking what we pay then you dont know what the expense is do you? i find it is a drop in the bucket when compared to say fuel, cell phone etc. call a broker and find out exactly what it will cost you. then mail the check.

and look into the van idea if plowing isnt in your plans

65hoss
01-08-2002, 02:06 PM
your right, i don't have insurance, I wish i did, but i don't do enough business to justif its expense, I'd like to hear what you pay for it though. If I decide to stick with the lawn business after college i'll get insurance

Then how can you justify the expense of a new mower???????? If something happens you will wish you still had the 36" and some insurance.

yorkpaddy
01-08-2002, 03:58 PM
i'd really rather not get into an argument about all this. I appreciate the opinions, and i know that I should get insurance, i'm looking into it. My customers are happy with the work I do, and i don't low ball to get work. I would be interested to hear what people pay for insurance who are my age, and if I could get some suggestions on insurance agents in my area that would be nice

65hoss
01-08-2002, 07:36 PM
No argument, just pointing out the fact that you want to buy a bigger mower, but say you don't make enough to get insurance.

General liability insurance is based off sales most of the time. You would probably end up with around $500-$600 per year for $1mil coverage. The inland marine policy is an add on that covers you equipment incase of theft. Mine is $100 per $10,000 of equipment.

Flex-Deck
01-08-2002, 07:39 PM
What y need is a 36" + the Flex-Deck trimming attachment = 54" totat mowing width, but folded up is only 37 1/2" wide. That would fit in your kids wagon.

65hoss
01-08-2002, 08:10 PM
I didn't even think about that Brad. That might be something that would solve your problems. Much faster cut, still get the mower in the truck, and have $$ left over.