PDA

View Full Version : Drastic elevation change:no air relief valves?

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-22-2008, 06:21 AM
ok guys....

Like I said this company I'm with now, is very set in their ways...I have to prove to them why flush valves and ARV's are necessary for drip...

fairly new install

situation 1. 1/2 horse well, tank on a 60-40 switch..
Issue:can't get water up a steep hill that runs about 80 feet of 1 inch poly to about 600 feet of 12 inch netafim. no flushy valve..This zone only hase 1 feed and the filter and reducer is @ the bottom of pitch...

My proposed solution: take out the reducer/filter from the bottom of the hill and check out the pressure @ the top of the hill.Also,Split the feeds of 1 inch poly making 2 feeds go up the hill pick up the water a tiny bit

Any my final solution is to make sure the emitters are not caked with dirt flush valve, and to install a ARV to get the air out of the netafim's .92 gph emitters...

Thoughts? sorry no pics but if I get to the job that will change....

AI Inc
06-22-2008, 06:55 AM
600 ft drip? I would yank that reducer altogether you are using almost 10 gpm.

Wet_Boots
06-22-2008, 07:32 AM
If all the drip is at the top of the hill, that would be where the reducer belongs.

londonrain
06-22-2008, 07:47 AM
no need for a pressure reducer in your situation.........

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-22-2008, 07:53 AM
ok guys....

Like I said this company I'm with now, is very set in their ways...I have to prove to them why flush valves and ARV's are necessary for drip...

fairly new install

situation 1. 1/2 horse well, tank on a 60-40 switch..
Issue:can't get water up a steep hill that runs about 80 feet of 1 inch poly to about 600 feet of 12 inch netafim. no flushy valve..This zone only hase 1 feed and the filter and reducer is @ the bottom of pitch...

My proposed solution: take out the reducer/filter from the bottom of the hill and check out the pressure @ the top of the hill.Also,Split the feeds of 1 inch poly making 2 feeds go up the hill pick up the water a tiny bit

Any my final solution is to make sure the emitters are not caked with dirt flush valve, and to install a ARV to get the air out of the netafim's .92 gph emitters...

Thoughts? sorry no pics but if I get to the job that will change....

Wow Eddie, Can't find very many misspellings and a great technical description of the situation. Did you show them the pigtail I sent you?

Wet_Boots
06-22-2008, 07:54 AM
What is the elevation difference? Having a 60 psi pump cutoff is probably enough.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
What is the elevation difference? Having a 60 psi pump cutoff is probably enough.

I would say my first thought is to put the reducer @ the top of the hill, poor judgment I suppose or a miscommunication between the people who know whats up and the Sales Rep...Again...

the elevation change is like I said 60 feet of rise up over about 40 feet of run...
I can't believe no one said anything.....Oh well we all make mistakes...

I think an air relief valve would help the situation..what do you all think?

DanaMac
06-22-2008, 08:09 PM
I would say my first thought is to put the reducer @ the top of the hill, poor judgment I suppose or a miscommunication between the people who know whats up and the Sales Rep...Again...

the elevation change is like I said 60 feet of rise up over about 40 feet of run...
I can't believe no one said anything.....Oh well we all make mistakes...

I think an air relief valve would help the situation..what do you all think?

I say yes on the air relief, and take out the pressure reducer.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-22-2008, 08:14 PM
I say yes on the air relief, and take out the pressure reducer.

my thoughts as well dana....

I'll let you all know how this turns out.

thanks for the speedy responses...

Kiril
06-23-2008, 01:31 AM
IMHO, even if you yank filter and PR, it still will not be enough even with a center feed setup and exhaust header. 0.4 GPH drippers at 12" spacing should work with a center feed grid.