PDA

View Full Version : DreamScapes Landscaping Mid-Season Update

Pages : [1] 2

DSLND
06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Here are some updated pictures of the equipment. I tried to e-mail some pictures from my phone to my laptop, but it doesn't seem to want to work.

As most know, I traded the ZTR for the WB, and the WB is working great!

Upcoming Purchases:

7x16 Enclosed Trailer
WRIGHT Stander 48" (I will trade the Lesco)
Toolbox for Truck

Next Year:

Underbody hoist/Dump Insert
Western V-Plow/Salter
Dump Trailer, Possibly Small Compact Tractor

Heres The Pictures

-Mitch-

DSLND
06-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Another Picture....

MJS
06-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Very nice, as always :clapping:

Good job to have a plan of where you're going with your business - it's a good idea to have goals like that (honestly, I'd like a nice truck like yours lol - maybe this fall)

KS_Grasscutter
06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Here are some updated pictures of the equipment. I tried to e-mail some pictures from my phone to my laptop, but it doesn't seem to want to work.

Upcoming Purchases:

7x16 Enclosed Trailer
Toolbox for Truck

Next Year:

Western V-Plow/Salter

Heres The Pictures

-Mitch-

We have disagreed on some stuff lately, but one thing I am sure we will both agree on is the need for a compact tractor. I don't recall a single day recently where I have NOT thought about how handy it would be to have a compact tractor for hundreds of various projects.

Lawn Enforcer
06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Nice looking rig, not bad for being 15! The enclosed and the Wright should look pretty sweet!

Another off topic question on the trailer. How stable is your trailer, like if you stand on the front corner of the trailer and bounce up and down, does it flex? I noticed that with the 6x10 carry-on around here.

A-Land
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Looks good Mitch.... good planning as well. How do you like the power on the BR 550? Is it enough or do you wish you had the extra power in the BR 600?

DSLND
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Nice looking rig, not bad for being 15! The enclosed and the Wright should look pretty sweet!

Another off topic question on the trailer. How stable is your trailer, like if you stand on the front corner of the trailer and bounce up and down, does it flex? I noticed that with the 6x10 carry-on around here.

Thanks. The trailer does like to bounce if you jump on a corner, however, I believe it to be the fact that it just has a straight tongue, no A-Frame. I think having the A-Frame would eliminate that problem. But the trailer itself is sturdy, heck, I've overloaded it many times, and its still fighting. Once I get my enclosed, the open will be strictly for misc./landscaping jobs.

Looks good Mitch.... good planning as well. How do you like the power on the BR 550? Is it enough or do you wish you had the extra power in the BR 600?

The 550 is a mean machine! That thing will blow you away! I have never tried the 600, but I do believe that there isn't much difference.

-Mitch-

A-Land
06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Have you tried a Redmax?

Supper Grassy
06-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Nice looking Rig

Lawn Enforcer
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=DreamScapes Land;2386636]Thanks. The trailer does like to bounce if you jump on a corner, however, I believe it to be the fact that it just has a straight tongue, no A-Frame. I think having the A-Frame would eliminate that problem. But the trailer itself is sturdy, heck, I've overloaded it many times, and its still fighting. Once I get my enclosed, the open will be strictly for misc./landscaping jobs.

I looked at the 6x10 and it always seemed very unstable, but I guess it worked for you for all these years so it must be good! I hope to get an enclosed or a shop next year, we'll see what the rest of this year brings us!

DSLND
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I have never tried a RedMax, my dealer is a Toro, STIHL, LawnBoy, WRIGHT. I really haven't ever seen a RedMax around here, but I have heard great things.

I was going to get a trailer identical to yours (Lawn Enforcer), but then I would have had to start renting a storage unit, and the enclosed is just better for my operation.

-Mitch-

lawn crafters
06-23-2008, 02:28 PM
do you plan on getting a 36 wb again of no?

Lawn Enforcer
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
I have never tried a RedMax, my dealer is a Toro, STIHL, LawnBoy, WRIGHT. I really haven't ever seen a RedMax around here, but I have heard great things.

I was going to get a trailer identical to yours (Lawn Enforcer), but then I would have had to start renting a storage unit, and the enclosed is just better for my operation.

-Mitch-

Yeah, and to be honest with you, my trailer is made for ATV's, not mowers, so I had a lot of trouble with loading until I figured out things with ramps and boards and other stuff to make it work. So how long until we see the enclosed?

Herrick
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
The 550 is a mean machine! That thing will blow you away! I have never tried the 600, but I do believe that there isn't much difference.

-Mitch-

We should have a contest this fall mitch, 550 vs 600... :laugh:

DSLND
06-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, 36" Will come in about August-September.

The trailer should be here in a few weeks (maybe a month), I want to save for a little while before making that kind of purchase.

Rob, YES! That would be interesting. lol

-Mitch-

k911lowe
06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
nice looking rig.nice to hear someone in business for 5 years that's not pissing and moaning about inflation or gas prices.good job.proud of your efforts.

metro36
06-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear the walk behind is working out for ya Mitch. Looks good. :waving:

kleankutslawn
06-23-2008, 08:23 PM
nice set up

tls22
06-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Real nice set-up man!

PlatinumLandCon
06-23-2008, 09:23 PM
The trailer should be here in a few weeks (maybe a month), I want to save for a little while before making that kind of purchase.

-Mitch-

Good idea man. Don't spend every last penny on the trailer... make sure you have a grand or so in the bank before the purchase to keep everything afloat. If something blows and you just bought the shiny new trailer with every last penny, it won't help putting a new rear end in the truck, if you get what I'm saying.

blm86
06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
looks good man, that enclosed is gonna be a nice addition.

PlatinumLandCon
06-23-2008, 09:45 PM
P.S. Will the trailer double as a billboard or just plain for now?

Petr51488
06-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, 36" Will come in about August-September.

Rob, YES! That would be interesting. lol

-Mitch-

Why would you buy a mower in the fall and not use it until next spring?

Lawn Enforcer
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
So are you thinking of buying a 36" W/B and not buying the Wright?

DSLND
06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
The enclosed may eventually get lettered up, not sure yet.

The 36" will come then, and we don't stop mowing until about the second week of November, and then it will be there for next spring. I need it now, and could go get one, but I have to trailer space for one.

The Stander will most likely come first. Heres my list for the rest of the year:

Trailer
Stander (Trade Lesco)
36"'
Money saved for next year

-Mitch-

Lawn Enforcer
06-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I forgot for a second that you had the Lesco to trade for the Wright, I had a total brain-fart, long day of mowing.

A-Land
06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Sometimes it's frustrating because you know where you want to go equipment wise.... and you just have to wait for it. Sometimes it's good though.... because it really makes you think over every decision.

Dunlaps LawnCare
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
verry nice

Upcoming Purchases:

7x16 Enclosed Trailer
Toolbox for Truck

Next Year:

Western V-Plow/Salter

Heres The Pictures

-Mitch-

deere615
06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Looking good Mitch, the lesco doesn't seem to match like your toro did, lol But as long as it does the job! Color doesn't matter

S man
06-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes it's frustrating because you know where you want to go equipment wise.... and you just have to wait for it. Sometimes it's good though.... because it really makes you think over every decision.

I agree 100% with your statement.

DSLND
07-20-2008, 05:49 PM
So I got the weekend off for the most part. This hasn't happened all year, so it was kind of a new thing for me:walking:

So I washed everything up!

Heres some pictures!

-Mitch-

DSLND
07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Here is one of the truck. I try to clean the truck twice a week (I'm obsessive, I know!) but I normally just wash and clean out the inside of it on Sunday afternoon.

BTW, the truck just rolled 110,500 miles and its still doing great! A plow will be coming next fall.:)

-Mitch-

A-Land
07-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Truck looks nice..... keeping everything looking nice and clean.

New trailer... new trailer... new trailer.... haha

RedMax Man
07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Truck looks nice..... keeping everything looking nice and clean.

New trailer... new trailer... new trailer.... haha

LOL was thinking the same thing.

I can't wait for that new trailer:laugh:

DSLND
07-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Hah. Hopefully a trailer coming late fall/early winter. That way I have all winter to get it geared up for next season:)

I am going to get an enclosed. Either an 18, or 20ft.

-Mitch-

A-Land
07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Are you going to keep the truck until she gives out? lol

DSLND
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Are you going to keep the truck until she gives out? lol

Oh yes! I love that truck so much, it would be hard for me to sell it.

The plan is in three years add another truck, and retire the current truck to a backup/extra plow truck (I will still be a solo operation, no additional crew).

-Mitch-

A-Land
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
How do you manage to fit all the work in once fall hits and school starts up again? lol With clean-ups it's one of the busiest times of the year.... and we have to be in school so much..... Do you just transfer most of it over to saturdays and sundays?

DSLND
07-20-2008, 10:22 PM
How do you manage to fit all the work in once fall hits and school starts up again? lol With clean-ups it's one of the busiest times of the year.... and we have to be in school so much..... Do you just transfer most of it over to saturdays and sundays?

It gets rough once school starts.

I work after school until dark, and normally all day Saturday, sometimes Sunday.

-Mitch-

Lawn Enforcer
07-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah, it gets tough with school, that's for sure. So you decided to stay solo-good choice, no employees doing crappy work and all the other hassle associated with it.

A-Land
07-21-2008, 08:58 AM
If you pay and train employees correctly and they understand if they do a bad job you're going to fire them.... they arn't so bad.

See I end up having baseball on the weekends..... In the fall on Sundays and in the Spring on Saturdays..... The earliest I can work is like 3, not to mention I feel dead from the games and practice. That's what sucks, unfortunately.

deere615
07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
It gets rough once school starts.

I work after school until dark, and normally all day Saturday, sometimes Sunday.

-Mitch-

You guys are right it gets real tough when school starts! Hey mitch I saw that you might want a hoist for your bed, whats your opinion on those I have thought about one myself

DSLND
07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Brady, i may get anm underbody hoist. A guy who used to mow in my town has one (his username is razorman, you can look at his old threads and find pictures) but i will hopefully be adding a dump truck in the next few years, so i may hold off on an underbody hoist.

-Mitch-

STIHL GUY
07-22-2008, 11:00 PM
nice equipment

DSLND
07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I got my magnets finally! Yes, I know, they look like lettering, but they are magnets.

Also, took a picture of the truck/trailer at a commercial property I maintain (between the signs, and the magnets, nobody is going to miss my rig!)

Thanks

-Mitch-

DSLND
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Now people will have no reason to think I'm Disney Lands #1 fan! (the license plate)

DSLND
07-23-2008, 09:52 PM
While I was waiting for my helper to finish up, I snapped a picture.

Lawn Enforcer
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
As always Mitch, looking real good! I like the magnets-are you gonna hold off on the vinyl lettering for now or stick with the magnets?

dura to the max
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
looks good, and those magnets are nice, look like vinyl lettering. looks like it's about time for a bigger trailer.

Green Team Landscaping
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
hahaha i love the plate, and yes, it does look like it could possibly be disney lands fan lol

DSLND
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
As always Mitch, looking real good! I like the magnets-are you gonna hold off on the vinyl lettering for now or stick with the magnets?

Personally, I like the magnets a lot! I like them because we don't always take the truck to work-related stuff. For example, sometimes we take our Mustang to do estimates, or g-ma's Toyota, and the magnets can go on them.

looks good, and those magnets are nice, look like vinyl lettering. looks like it's about time for a bigger trailer.

Thanks. 18-20' enclosed coming this winter.

hahaha i love the plate, and yes, it does look like it could possibly be disney lands fan lol

Yeah, it wasn't until I recieved the plates that I realized "oh crap, I'm an idiot".

Thanks

-Mitch-

deere615
07-23-2008, 11:01 PM
I got my magnets finally! Yes, I know, they look like lettering, but they are magnets.

Also, took a picture of the truck/trailer at a commercial property I maintain (between the signs, and the magnets, nobody is going to miss my rig!)

Thanks

-Mitch-
Magnets look great!
Brady, i may get anm underbody hoist. A guy who used to mow in my town has one (his username is razorman, you can look at his old threads and find pictures) but i will hopefully be adding a dump truck in the next few years, so i may hold off on an underbody hoist.

-Mitch-

Mitch, its Bradley lol, cool I will look him up. I only have a 1500, but I thought it might be nice for when I am hauling scrap, leaves, brush etc. But I might be getting a dump in a year or 2 too.

zim bob the landscaper
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
looks good mitch.

DSLND
08-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok, so we brought the v-dub home today. We had it on consignment at a local car lot, but have decided to sell it ourselves.

Here is a picture with both my truck and the vw, which was "given" to me, by my grandfather.

Enjoy!

-Mitch-

dura to the max
08-02-2008, 10:06 PM
just re-read and noticed that a dump insert was coming in the near future. thats a really nice truck to put one on, and w/ that short bed and an added toolbox i dont think that a dump insert or hoist would be very useful.

DSLND
08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
just re-read and noticed that a dump insert was coming in the near future. thats a really nice truck to put one on, and w/ that short bed and an added toolbox i dont think that a dump insert or hoist would be very useful.

I'm feeling the same way. Once i rack up some more miles on my current truck (just hit 111k today) I will be adding a dump truck (most likely when my truck gets over 175k miles). The current truck will be kept as a backup work truck/plow truck, and the dump truck will be my main work vehicle. I plan on working solo for a while, so the other truck could not serve as a crew truck.

-Mitch-

freshprince94
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice setup Mitch, I guess no more Stander since you like Lesco so much? I think you could add a 61" to your setup, that would suit you well for large lawns. I am considering a 36".

DSLND
08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice setup Mitch, I guess no more Stander since you like Lesco so much? I think you could add a 61" to your setup, that would suit you well for large lawns. I am considering a 36".

I'm stuck between mower decisions right now. I really like my Lesco's, but after only one hundred hours on the 48", and about twelve on the 32", my hands are feeling the pain. I'm not sure I can keep the pistol grips too much longer. I don't really NEED a ZTR, however if I run across a used one, for a good price, I may grab it. Especially with school coming up soon, it could really give me more time off (weekends), and could help out a lot on my bigger yards.

Basically the mower combination I have now is perfect, but a ZTR could speed some things up, especially on my personal yard, six acres:dizzy:

-Mitch-

FinerCutslawnCare
08-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm stuck between mower decisions right now. I really like my Lesco's, but after only one hundred hours on the 48", and about twelve on the 32", my hands are feeling the pain. I'm not sure I can keep the pistol grips too much longer. I don't really NEED a ZTR, however if I run across a used one, for a good price, I may grab it. Especially with school coming up soon, it could really give me more time off (weekends), and could help out a lot on my bigger yards.

Basically the mower combination I have now is perfect, but a ZTR could speed some things up, especially on my personal yard, six acres:dizzy:

-Mitch-

U mow 6 acres with a walk!? ouch, I would want a z-turn if I had to do that to! Looks good btw!

A-Land
08-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow 6 acres is a lot..... I know you had good reasons for getting rid of it but that toro rider would come in handy now

freshprince94
08-03-2008, 08:16 PM

-Mitch-

If I were you, I would sell the Lesco and get yourself a 52" ZTR. If you have eXmark in your area, check out the HP with the 52 Trivantage deck.

DSLND
08-03-2008, 10:22 PM
U mow 6 acres with a walk!? ouch, I would want a z-turn if I had to do that to! Looks good btw!

I have the sulky, so it isn't that terrible... I am considering a ZTR or Stander at this point, but I don't profit off of the six acre yard b/c its my personal yard:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Wow 6 acres is a lot..... I know you had good reasons for getting rid of it but that toro rider would come in handy now

Yeah, honestly, six acres on the WB isn't that bad, I have things split up so I take a break acre and a half.

If I were you, I would sell the Lesco and get yourself a 52" ZTR. If you have eXmark in your area, check out the HP with the 52 Trivantage deck.

I may look at the eXmarks, but Toro is a good dealer around here, and they also sell WRIGHT Standers, a possible option.

-Mitch-

S man
08-03-2008, 10:37 PM
For the money, you can't beat a exmark lazer z. I actually looked at wright for their stander rh 48" 19 hp and it was $7200. The lazer I bought 46" 19 hp was $5999. And I'm sitting with a full back seat and am not standing or sitting on the sentar seat. Just some facts to consider. Best of luck.

A-Land
08-04-2008, 01:07 AM
For the money, you can't beat a exmark lazer z. I actually looked at wright for their stander rh 48" 19 hp and it was $7200. The lazer I bought 46" 19 hp was $5999. And I'm sitting with a full back seat and am not standing or sitting on the sentar seat. Just some facts to consider. Best of luck.

ahh u looking for another mower???? lol

dura to the max
08-04-2008, 06:55 PM
you mentioned the toro, as mentioned many times before it is the same frame as the exmark w/ a different deck. i have both and think that the toro gives just as good of a cut, and it seems to have better vacuum than the lazers.

S man
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
ahh u looking for another mower???? lol

Read man read. I looked at scag wright toro and exmark BEFORE I bought any of them. This was when I had the phazer and the used stander. I love the lazer z and it works perfect for me.

freshprince94
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
you mentioned the toro, as mentioned many times before it is the same frame as the exmark w/ a different deck. i have both and think that the toro gives just as good of a cut, and it seems to have better vacuum than the lazers.

I think the eXmark is the one...the trivantage leaves a real nice cut...

lawn crafters
08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
y dont you keep what you have, get a bigger trailer, and add a ztr.

A-Land
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Read man read. I looked at scag wright toro and exmark BEFORE I bought any of them. This was when I had the phazer and the used stander. I love the lazer z and it works perfect for me.

It's funner to tease you :laugh: don't worry I was just playing

DSLND
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
y dont you keep what you have, get a bigger trailer, and add a ztr.

I plan on saving for a while (prob. until the end of the year), then next spring get a new rider, most likely a WRIGHT 23/48 Stander, which would be perfect for medium sized yards, and can still run on the big yards. Also, I plan on ditching the enclosed trailer idea, for now. I plan on getting a 12' trailer w/rear and side gate, and start renting a storage unit thats a half mile from my school, and is also where my good lawn buddies store their stuff, so we can help each other out if needed.

Thats the plan... for now. (hint: I am ALWAYS changing my plans, and can never make up my mind:laugh::):hammerhead::dizzy::waving:)

-Mitch-

Lawn Enforcer
08-05-2008, 09:57 PM
I plan on saving for a while (prob. until the end of the year), then next spring get a new rider, most likely a WRIGHT 23/48 Stander, which would be perfect for medium sized yards, and can still run on the big yards. Also, I plan on ditching the enclosed trailer idea, for now. I plan on getting a 12' trailer w/rear and side gate, and start renting a storage unit thats a half mile from my school, and is also where my good lawn buddies store their stuff, so we can help each other out if needed.

Thats the plan... for now. (hint: I am ALWAYS changing my plans, and can never make up my mind:laugh::):hammerhead::dizzy::waving:)

-Mitch-

If you are looking at the trailer at TSC, carefully consider your decision. It's tough to load mowers on there without them catching on the rear gate and it is nearly impossible to load a W/B up the side gate. If you want more info, PM me

Herrick
08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Mitch, I've seriously contemplated going down to a 12' trailer, but every time I start really thinking about it, I start thinking about all the things I can't get on it because of weight or size. Most of the time my 18' is overkill, but when it's needed, it's awesome. For example, I'm probably going to build a box on the front of it for leaves this fall, and still have enough room and capacity to still carry the deere and toro... no way you could do that with a 12'... I like the open also because I can load just about anything in it... mulch, dirt, rock, firewood, mowers, cars, furniture, and about anything else you can name.

If I were you, I'd for a 16 or 18' open and be done with it.

FinerCutslawnCare
08-05-2008, 10:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with changing ur mind alot, just means that you are putting more thought in to what u are spending u money on...

dura to the max
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
There is nothing wrong with changing ur mind alot, just means that you are putting more thought in to what u are spending u money on...

exactly right. im the king of this. but at times it bites me and i waste money too

Dunlaps LawnCare
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
you still wann get a compact loader mitch?

-Mitch-

DSLND
08-06-2008, 11:38 PM
you still wann get a compact loader mitch?

Possibly a JD 855/955 w/loader & mower. Then I could do more serious brush hogging in the summer, help with snow in the winter (plow is coming for my truck, but this would be great for residential), and help around the house as well. I've looked, and the best price I have found is $10k, so I may look at bigger models if i'm going to spend that kind of $.

-Mitch-

DSLND
08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Had some time today, and both cars were home (rare occasion, one is normally in storage), so I thought it would only be appropriate....:)

-Mitch-

RedMax Man
08-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Just a question. Do you keep those magnets on those cars when you drive 'em around?

DSLND
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Just a question. Do you keep those magnets on those cars when you drive 'em around?

Not really. We rarely drive them, so the magents are really never on them. If I do take one of the vehicles to do a bid, I will throw the magnets on, then wipe off underneath the sign when I get home.

-Mitch-

Petr51488
08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Why don't you just take your truck so they could see that your serious about it? I would think twice if i saw a kid pull up in a v dub convertible.

DSLND
08-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Why don't you just take your truck so they could see that your serious about it? I would think twice if i saw a kid pull up in a v dub convertible.

We normally do. Once did I take the Mustang, only because we had to pick it up from the shop. I normally take my truck, dad's Jeep, or grandma's car, it all depends on who is the co-pilot for the day:laugh:

-Mitch-

Dunlaps LawnCare
08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
thats gotta be hard always trying to find someone to ride with u

deere615
08-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Ya I like to take my Truck everywhere! I will normally put boots and jeans back on if I have to go do and estimate after I am done working, I just like to be serious about everything, not saying you aren't Mitch!

dura to the max
08-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Ya I like to take my Truck everywhere! I will normally put boots and jeans back on if I have to go do and estimate after I am done working, I just like to be serious about everything, not saying you aren't Mitch!

agreed %100. at least look nice. but i try to look decent even when i work, tuck in shirt, no holes...etc.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-15-2008, 11:57 PM
One hell of a set-up there for 15 and I like how you have plans for future development. (I'm 15 too and would love to be that big!)

DSLND
09-29-2008, 10:29 PM
So I am going to update you guys on what has been going on.

I'm busy.... very busy! I am beyond too busy, and I am trying to scale back, or at least plan to scale back next year. I will weed out the least profitable accounts, and try to not work as much.

But this year has been amazing. I had no intention on doing 40 yards/week, but I am. With my helper, and myself, we are very effecient. I've trained him to do what I expect, and he does, with no problems.

I honestly don't have much more room for additional properties. Especially during spring/fall aerating, clean ups, bush/hedge trimming, etc. I don't really plan on adding many yards next year, maybe a few in another town, just to make my trip over there more effecient.

But until now, I would accept anything thrown at me, but now, I'm overbooked. I have basically stopped any advertising I have complete control of. Yards signs have been taken down at commercial property's (great idea for getting business!), magnets are off the truck, and the new mowing trailer doesn't have signs on there, only the small trailer does, and I will eventually take them off. I do stick the magnets on when I go do bids, and such, but when I'm working, I don't have them on.

Word-Of-Mouth is the best tool for collecting business, and that is what is making me successful.

-Mitch-

A-Land
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Great job Mitch.

What's your schedule like?? I could never fit in 40 a week!!!

FinerCutslawnCare
09-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Great job Mitch.

O yea ya could, it is all just about planning your route and working saturday and sunday:dizzy:

Herrick
09-29-2008, 11:50 PM
That's awesome Mitch!! I feel really busy, but I'm only doing 15 accounts, I can't imagine 40! Time to start bumping that hourly rate up and throwing some cash in the bank for a rainy day...

AndyTblc
09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
So I am going to update you guys on what has been going on.

I'm busy.... very busy! I am beyond too busy, and I am trying to scale back, or at least plan to scale back next year. I will weed out the least profitable accounts, and try to not work as much.

But this year has been amazing. I had no intention on doing 40 yards/week, but I am. With my helper, and myself, we are very effecient. I've trained him to do what I expect, and he does, with no problems.

I honestly don't have much more room for additional properties. Especially during spring/fall aerating, clean ups, bush/hedge trimming, etc. I don't really plan on adding many yards next year, maybe a few in another town, just to make my trip over there more effecient.

But until now, I would accept anything thrown at me, but now, I'm overbooked. I have basically stopped any advertising I have complete control of. Yards signs have been taken down at commercial property's (great idea for getting business!), magnets are off the truck, and the new mowing trailer doesn't have signs on there, only the small trailer does, and I will eventually take them off. I do stick the magnets on when I go do bids, and such, but when I'm working, I don't have them on.

Word-Of-Mouth is the best tool for collecting business, and that is what is making me successful.

-Mitch-

You know you have a good thing going when you have to start scaling back and stop advertising. You're still in high school, don't let your work get to busy where your grades start slipping.
Ha, get your brother to hook up your old trailer to his little truck and give him a mower and a trimmer and a blower and tell him to go do something.

DSLND
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Great job Mitch.

Schedule. What do you mean, school? I'll tell ya about my school schedule... its awesome! Three classes, two electives, and gym. No homework... ever!

O yea ya could, it is all just about planning your route and working saturday and sunday:dizzy:

Sometimes. I do my best to take weekends off, but it can get tough.

That's awesome Mitch!! I feel really busy, but I'm only doing 15 accounts, I can't imagine 40! Time to start bumping that hourly rate up and throwing some cash in the bank for a rainy day...

Rob, I took your advice earlier, and started raising prices, and bidding higher.... It worked, but it didn't. I'm making more $, but still getting more work:hammerhead: Nothing to complain about I guess;)

You know you have a good thing going when you have to start scaling back and stop advertising. You're still in high school, don't let your work get to busy where your grades start slipping.
Ha, get your brother to hook up your old trailer to his little truck and give him a mower and a trimmer and a blower and tell him to go do something.

My brother with even a pushmower is... how can I say it? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

No thanks! lol

-Mitch-

A-Land
09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
God what kind of school do you go to???? I can only work about 2 hours a day during the week because I have about 5 hours of homework when I get home!!

deere615
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Ya mitch your lucky with only 3 classes, I always had 6 in highschool. But I very rarely had homework. I did all of it and most of my projects during study halls and any free time, and I studied for test in homeroom:) That why college is a pain for me because I always have homework now:cry:

Herrick
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=DreamScapes Land;2536541]Rob, I took your advice earlier, and started raising prices, and bidding higher.... It worked, but it didn't. I'm making more $, but still getting more work:hammerhead: Nothing to complain about I guess;)[QUOTE]

That's funny... I guess there can be too much of a good thing!! At least winter's just around the corner and things should be slowing down here in a few weeks...

slamjamrockinman
09-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Schedule. What do you mean, school? I'll tell ya about my school schedule... its awesome! Three classes, two electives, and gym. No homework... ever!

Wow you guys are lucky!! My parents send me too an all boys, military prep school. The work load is nuts compared to a public school:hammerhead:
Sometimes i get burnt out, especially during the spring and fall, but that's life!

PlatinumLandCon
10-12-2008, 02:20 PM
How's everything been?

bakerc8
10-12-2008, 04:20 PM
nice equement keep working

DSLND
10-12-2008, 06:20 PM
How's everything been?

Crazy. We need to talk on the phone sometime.

nice equement keep working

Thanks.

-Mitch-

RLLServicesCT
10-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Mitch, I don't know how you do it, 40 accounts!? I know you have a helper, but I have 15 accounts and itrs crazy crazy busy. Only problem is i have so many side jobs lined up as well. You have no idea how lucky you are to have no homework, because its been a killer on me. Running school all day long, then work, then homework on 6 hrs of sleep a night is very hard, but mitch I'm really impressed.
I have to wonder though, how on earth do you bid on commercial accounts? At fifteen I know you are probably insured via a family member or someone as the 'owner' , but what is their response to see a fifteen year old? I;m in the same boat and dont even want to bid becuase I've always been afraid to just get laughed on out of there. All of my bids are carefully worded to avoid all age questions, but it helps that i look 22 as well.
Anyway, very impressed and keep up the good work....BTW How do you like that tandam axle trailer you bought?

DSLND
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Mitch, I don't know how you do it, 40 accounts!? I know you have a helper, but I have 15 accounts and itrs crazy crazy busy. Only problem is i have so many side jobs lined up as well. You have no idea how lucky you are to have no homework, because its been a killer on me. Running school all day long, then work, then homework on 6 hrs of sleep a night is very hard, but mitch I'm really impressed.
I have to wonder though, how on earth do you bid on commercial accounts? At fifteen I know you are probably insured via a family member or someone as the 'owner' , but what is their response to see a fifteen year old? I;m in the same boat and dont even want to bid becuase I've always been afraid to just get laughed on out of there. All of my bids are carefully worded to avoid all age questions, but it helps that i look 22 as well.
Anyway, very impressed and keep up the good work....BTW How do you like that tandam axle trailer you bought?

Its tough, but I love it.

The helper helps a little, but I can do it alone... and I'm going to.. next year... with my license:cool2::cool2::waving::waving::clapping::clapping::usflag::):)

All commercial work comes to me, I do not go around begging for bids. One came from word of mouth, and the other one goes to show that the simplest things can make you big money. Its a long story, but I walked in for a haircut, walked out with a apartment contract. No mowing, all flowerbed maintenance/regular upkeep (trash, etc.). Also got them for snow/ice management. She was cutting my hair, and asking how old I was and if I liked school. I wasn't in the greatest mood, but replied "Eh, not a fan of school, I like to be outdoors." Then the whole "owning a business" conversation came up.

You just have to be professional. I get people every day thinking I am twenty, twenty one years old. Heck, most people I meet at school think I am a Junior/Senior. Its just about being professional. You show them that you are serious, they will take you serious.

The trailer. :):):) I love it. Go get one, I have absoloutely no idea how I got by without it.

-Mitch-

freshprince94
10-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Have you decided anything on mowers yet? BTW I was up in the Illinois area recently and judging by the type of grass y'all have up there, an eXmark Ultracut deck would work well.

DSLND
10-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Have you decided anything on mowers yet? BTW I was up in the Illinois area recently and judging by the type of grass y'all have up there, an eXmark Ultracut deck would work well.

Yep, keeping the Lesco's. I love them. My dealer is also excellent. I will hopefully be adding a 19/48" Z-Two next spring/summer. That will leave me with a 21", 32", 48" (WB) 48" ZTR. I don't need a 60", i tried one and it was overkill.

I will try an eXmark. My Toro did beautifully, so I can only imagine an eXmark.

Thanks.

-Mitch-

freshprince94
10-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Yep, keeping the Lesco's. I love them. My dealer is also excellent. I will hopefully be adding a 19/48" Z-Two next spring/summer. That will leave me with a 21", 32", 48" (WB) 48" ZTR. I don't need a 60", i tried one and it was overkill.

I will try an eXmark. My Toro did beautifully, so I can only imagine an eXmark.

Thanks.

-Mitch-

I think Deere is discontinuing Lesco's mowers...is the Z-Two still available?

DSLND
10-29-2008, 10:14 PM
So I haven't posted much lately, and I'll try to answer some PM's right here.

Right now I am finishing up mowing, and will be transitioning to clean up's verys soon.

I have not added any equipment lately. Although I will be getting a Billy Goat leaf vac within the next few days.

Equipment is doing awesome. Truck rolled over 114k the other day. Very few problems. Plow/salter next year. Thinking about lifting it 3", and def. getting new tires in March/April. Future wish list is some black rims (summer wheels, keep the standard rims for winter).

Next year's list:

STIHL KM 110
Western Plow/Salter
Maybe a 48" ZTR or Stander (depends on what new accounts I pick up)

I snapped a picture of the "rig" the other day. I haven't had any time to get the trailer outfitted, even though I did get the trimmer rack on there. This winter I will get some kind of toolbox, get the backpack blower rack up, and get some signs on.

Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions.

-Mitch-

AndyTblc
10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
2 Questions.
1. Why a western plow
2. Whats the ladder in your truck for, do you clean out gutters too?

DSLND
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
2 Questions.
1. Why a western plow
2. Whats the ladder in your truck for, do you clean out gutters too?

Everyone around here has Western. I have been doing my homework on this purchase, and Western has got my approval, over Boss and Meyer.

Ladder was for changing a light bulb at my g-ma's. She went with me working that day, and needed a favor, so I threw the ladder back there. BTW, I do clean gutters as well.

BTW, I wanted to add that I own all of the equipment (exception of a small portion of the truck, parent's jumped in and helped a little). I am also debt-free, and plan on staying that way for a while.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

DSLND
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Here is what my 48" laid down the other day. Its kind of hard to see, but I did a V-pattern with vertical stipes in between.

I tell ya, I paid $1800 for this mower used, with 300 hours, and it is the best striping mower I have ever owned.

-Mitch-

AndyTblc
10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I'd pick boss over western, because western has the chain, where boss has the hydro's, and you don't have to worry about the bouncing. The neighbor has 2 trucks, and he has one with western and one with boss, and he don't use the one with the western, he gives it to the other guy because he don't like the chain.

Thats good about being debt free. I just paid off my truck 2 weeks ago.

deere615
10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Mitch let me know how you like the bg vac!

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-29-2008, 11:11 PM
So I haven't posted much lately, and I'll try to answer some PM's right here.

Right now I am finishing up mowing, and will be transitioning to clean up's verys soon.

I have not added any equipment lately. Although I will be getting a Billy Goat leaf vac within the next few days.

Equipment is doing awesome. Truck rolled over 114k the other day. Very few problems. Plow/salter next year. Thinking about lifting it 3", and def. getting new tires in March/April. Future wish list is some black rims (summer wheels, keep the standard rims for winter).

Next year's list:

STIHL KM 110
Western Plow/Salter
Maybe a 48" ZTR or Stander (depends on what new accounts I pick up)

I snapped a picture of the "rig" the other day. I haven't had any time to get the trailer outfitted, even though I did get the trimmer rack on there. This winter I will get some kind of toolbox, get the backpack blower rack up, and get some signs on.

Enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions.

-Mitch-

let see some pictures of the vac when u get it

Lakewlc
10-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Get a Fisher!

DSLND
11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
So I got my Billy Goat vacum today!

It was too dark to get pictures, so I will get them soon.

I got to use the machine on a small clean up today.

It's awesome. So much power, its not even funny. BTW, it just destroys the leaves. I bought the leaf shredder plate for the machine, and its amazing. Looks just like I am running double gators on a mower. It really is nice, not too messy, either. Yeah, theres dust, but its leaves, and the design of the bag keeps that to a minimum.

Here is why I bought it versus a leaf loader:

-I mainly service small properties, some gated. This is very easy to manuever in those properties.

-My 76 year old helper can run this. NOTE: He does not run any of the Lesco's.

-It should really help with bush/hedge trimming, spring clean ups, etc.

-It can go in the back of the truck.

I paid a little less than $1400 w/leaf shredder plate.

-Mitch-

nnj18
11-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Very nice stuff man!! You're doing awesome!

Btw - JD is keeping the lesco line-up...got the details from my JD dealer....actually selling all my mowers to go all JD....

Kennedy Landscaping
11-04-2008, 10:42 PM
What model is that bad boy?

ALarsh
11-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Mitch- Its good to hear you are doing well.

Reconsider the boss before you jump on the western! Boss makes some very nice stuff!

AndyTblc
11-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Mitch- Its good to hear you are doing well.

Reconsider the boss before you jump on the western! Boss makes some very nice stuff!

I'll second that, I"ve plowed with both, and boss is by far the best.

ALarsh
11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I also plowed with both before going with boss. Granted the western was 3 years old but i was far happier with the boss.

Anyways good luck!

DSLND
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I will be trying out different plows this winter.

-Mitch-

AndyTblc
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I will be trying out different plows this winter.

-Mitch-

Ok, how do you "try out" different plows? Don't you have to pick a plow and go with it once they put the mount on the truck? If you're trying out, meyers, western, boss, they all have different mounts. It's not universal.

oakwdman
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna have to assume hes gonna be driving different trucks with different plows. last time I checked you can't demo a plow! Where are the pics mitch?lol.

DSLND
11-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Yes, I will be riding along with a few different guys who plow snow around here. As of now I will get to try out Western, Blizzard, Meyers, and hope to get to try out a Boss.

Here are the pictures/specs on the Billy Goat.

It is the model 650SPH w/6.5hp Honda. It also has the shredder kit, which is a must have if you are going to be doing leaves.

Here is a picture.

-Mitch-

dura to the max
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
looks good. did you get it new?

DSLND
11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
looks good. did you get it new?

Yep. Bought it Tuesday... already been making me money as you can tell (it gets dirty in a hurry!)

-Mitch-

dura to the max
11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
yeah, i knew it hadnt been long since you got it, and its already so dirty...jw...

looks good.

i know its been said, but how wide is it?

Lawn Enforcer
11-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Lookin' good Mitch!

Lakewlc
11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
is it self propelled?

Matts lawn care
11-06-2008, 07:35 PM
looks cool but why not just use a bagger for your mower? Ive never used one of these so just wondering.

KGR landscapeing
11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it gets tough with school, that's for sure. So you decided to stay solo-good choice, no employees doing crappy work and all the other hassle associated with it. There not always bad you just have to make sure they know what you want and you have to give them task so they can feel as if they accomplishd something.

on a sulky its not so horrible but i used to walk 20 cutting the nursery that was a long day and the next day was all weedeater. do alot of talking to urself

I'd pick boss over western, because western has the chain, where boss has the hydro's, and you don't have to worry about the bouncing. The neighbor has 2 trucks, and he has one with western and one with boss, and he don't use the one with the western, he gives it to the other guy because he don't like the chain.

Thats good about being debt free. I just paid off my truck 2 weeks ago.

I think western is a fair choice. I mean no matter what you get its gonna be a straight blade so no real diffrence.

i also have a parker vac but with no leaf shredder. so it sucks up whole leaves. gets so heavy you feel like ur pushing a car up hill. So i pretty much blow and tarp

KGR landscapeing
11-06-2008, 07:39 PM
looks cool but why not just use a bagger for your mower? Ive never used one of these so just wondering.

alot of walks suck up whole leafs and fill up a bagger super quick. its a pain. Now you can cut up the leaves and bag on the second cut but dose it really save time either way? the quickest thing is a ztr with a clamshell or tracvac with its own motor

DSLND
11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I believe its 28" wide.

Yes it is self propelled.

My Lesco's have a ton of blowout, not to mention this machine is ideal for my helper to run.

This machine will also help with bush/hedge trimming jobs, and i can get a hose attachment for the front.

-Mitch-

deere615
11-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Nice machine. I was looking at the multi vac a while back but decided not to get it

DSLND
11-30-2008, 09:53 PM
So the season has come to an end:):clapping::cry::waving:

Honestly, it was a loooonnnnggg season, but after only a few days off, I'm ready to get back to work.:dizzy:

I started the year with about twenty maintenance accounts, ended the season with forty. It was quite a load, but I loved it.

I got more into the landscape install side of things this year. Brick edging, mulch, flowerbed rennovations, sod/seed, did it all. I really enjoyed this stuff, just as much as mowing.

I also got more into aerating, bush/hedge trimming, clean ups, etc.

Had grandma riding along with me up until June. I was working so much, that I was just taking up too much of her time. So I ran accross the opportunity to get a helper. Seventy six years old, friend of my dad's. Great guy, hardest worker ever for his age, and I would put money on that. Suprisingly, he kept up with me, a fifteen year old. Throughout the summer, it wasn't bad. We would work afternoons, use mornings for whatever. But once school started, we were having to really stay on top of things. I developed a system, where I could send him out while I was at school, knock out two-three properties (small, 21" accounts, nothing commercial or high-end), and then pick me up from school, that way I didn't have to waste time running home. We had it at a point where we had ten properties getting serviced every day! It was awesome. That especially hepled as the days got shorter. I will have my license next season, so I will not take him. I think if I asked him, he would stay, but I know it has to be hard on him keeping up with me.

Bought some great equipment this year. This consists of:

'99 Chevy 2500 extended cab/short bed. :)
Toro Pro-Line 21"
Lesco 17hp/48" WB w/sulky
Lesco 13hp/32" WB
Rice 7x16 Trailer
Billy Goat WB Leaf Vac.

Everything is paid for as we speak.

Now for next year....

Goal: Don't work myself to death. Drivers License will be a huge help in this. I will be able to get out earlier on weekends, and during the summer, I can get a lot more done in a day.

Not much advertising for '09. I have more than enough work, and more coming. Just try to be as effecient as possible solo.

Equipment:

60" ZTR- Currently searching for one, desperately need it for next year (just landed a few big accounts, and that on top of all my other larger accounts, gives me enough to purchase this unit)
STIHL KM 110 Multi-Task w/attachments (this will serve as the extra trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer)
Western 8' Plow- I will be advancing into the snow/ice division a little next winter.
SnowEx Tailgate Spreader- Read above

It was a great season, and hoping for another good one next year!

-Mitch-

KS_Grasscutter
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Good job!!! Hell of a lot more then I can say about myself, and I am 3 years older then you LOL.

Kennedy Landscaping
11-30-2008, 10:07 PM
You have really came a long ways from your packed 5x10. I just wish I was as busy as you. You'll love having your lisence.

dura to the max
11-30-2008, 10:18 PM
great job Mitch!!! i cant wait to see how next season grows!!!

Wojomower125
11-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey mitch,
Man you have gone far for a 15 year old!! Great WORK and nice rig!!

lawn crafters
12-01-2008, 03:07 PM
just wondering what is your secret to getting 20 accounts in a year?

Dunlaps LawnCare
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
yes what is your secret to gaining 20 in one year

South Florida Lawns
12-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Less time on LawnSite more time advertising.

Lawn Enforcer
12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Impressive Mitch, nice work! Keep it up, you're doing a lot better than I was when I was 15. Keep working hard and it will pay off-you got a good head and your shoulders.:weightlifter:

DSLND
12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Good job!!! Hell of a lot more then I can say about myself, and I am 3 years older then you LOL.

Thanks, Eric!

You have really came a long ways from your packed 5x10. I just wish I was as busy as you. You'll love having your lisence.

Oh the days of the 5x10.... thank god I have that 7x16. I have no idea how I got by without it.

great job Mitch!!! i cant wait to see how next season grows!!!

Thanks man!

Hey mitch,
Man you have gone far for a 15 year old!! Great WORK and nice rig!!

Thanks! Just replied to your PM

just wondering what is your secret to getting 20 accounts in a year?

Doing excellent work, and striving to be the best around. Do excellent work, people notice, and people talk about it.

Word of mouth. Read Above

Impressive Mitch, nice work! Keep it up, you're doing a lot better than I was when I was 15. Keep working hard and it will pay off-you got a good head and your shoulders.:weightlifter:

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies.

-Mitch-

nnj18
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Mitch I'm always amazed when I see how far you've gotten for you age.....h3ll many people wish they had that when they were 20 much less 15. I mean I'm 18 and think I'm doing great and then I see your stuff and I'm like D^MN!

DSLND
12-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Mitch I'm always amazed when I see how far you've gotten for you age.....h3ll many people wish they had that when they were 20 much less 15. I mean I'm 18 and think I'm doing great and then I see your stuff and I'm like D^MN!

Thanks man. It was awesome talking to you on the phone, we will do it again soon.

-Mitch-

slamjamrockinman
12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Ya Mitch sounds like you had a great season. I also believe that word of mouth is the BEST advertising there is, and the best part is it costs nearly nothing!!!

dura to the max
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I also believe that word of mouth is the BEST advertising there is, and the best part is it costs nearly nothing!!!

i see people on this site talking about word of mouth a lot...in order to get customers to recommend you you have to do good work, doesn't sound like it's worth it to me...

nnj18
12-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks man. It was awesome talking to you on the phone, we will do it again soon.

-Mitch-

I agree man!

DSLND
12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
i see people on this site talking about word of mouth a lot...in order to get customers to recommend you you have to do good work, doesn't sound like it's worth it to me...

100% True.

When I sent out my November invoices, which were mainly fall clean ups, and final mowings, I got a ton of invoices back with a check and a nice testimonial. I hang on to those, and I tell ya what, I have a whole bulletin board of them now. Just got another one earlier, guy was blown away at what his yard looked like after the fall clean up, he gave me the snow job as well. Do good work, and good work will come to you.

-Mitch-

Kennedy Landscaping
12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I just got quite a few of my snow customers lined up today. Others weren't home when I called

slamjamrockinman
12-02-2008, 07:57 PM

I don't know if you got what I was saying. Just to clear up confusion, I meant that word of mouth is the best way to get work, and I think most will agree.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know if you got what I was saying. Just to clear up confusion, I meant that word of mouth is the best way to get work, and I think most will agree.

I would agree too, except no one seems to relay my name. A few things will happen next year to change this though hopefully.

1. Incentives for customers that give a referral and ending up in a job
2. I already do good work but next year I will try even harder to make it that much better:cool2:

Junior M
12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
So, Mitch have you decided on a plow for your chevy yet?

dura to the max
12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
evidently you didnt get what i was saying, that post was BS. i agree, word of mouth is the best advertising.

KGR landscapeing
12-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Its easy to do good work on ur own. Because ur hand knows what u want. When you bring in guys so you can expand thats when the left hand dosent know what the right is doing. Also when ur expanding in to a new market word of mouth wont get a big enough foot in the door your going to have to use alittle capital to move the ball.

DSLND
12-03-2008, 04:28 PM
So, Mitch have you decided on a plow for your chevy yet?

I have not fully decided yet, but it will be either Western or Boss. Those are the two major brands around here. I would look at Fishers, but I can't find anything local.

-Mitch-

Greenboy24
12-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Mitch, Great job man, You continually impress me with your work and professionalism....Keep it up!

stuntmanlogan
12-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey do you have any new pictures of your billy goat. And great job.

dura to the max
12-03-2008, 07:42 PM

he has a few on this thread.

DSLND
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Mitch, Great job man, You continually impress me with your work and professionalism....Keep it up!

Thanks!

I really don't. I just winterized everything, so everything is kind of put up. What kind of pictures are you looking for?

-Mitch-

stuntmanlogan
12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Just some new ones if you had any im thinking about buying one because my local dealer has some on sale.

Herrick
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Check out Meyer also Mitch, there's a dealer over in Morton which I don't think is too far from you. Don't forget the salt spreader, a must have for any commercial snow removal work.

Did you get a chance to make it over to the Farm show? I played hookie from work and went this afternoon... there were Bad Boy, Ferris, Scag, Exmark, Grashopper, and a couple other dealer reps there. Great way to visit a bunch of different manufacturer's in a short time. Oh, and the Bad Boy girl was there too... My 17 month old boys got an autographed poster! Haha!

DSLND
12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Got some new tires today. After I was majorly overdue:nono:

ProComp 285/75/16.

I love them. The truck rides so much better than before.

-Mitch-

DSLND
12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Better picture of tire.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Kool, hope they last a while

lawn crafters
12-10-2008, 08:28 PM
if you dont mind me asking what did you grss and net this year for pay? you can PM me if you want instead

deere615
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice tires mitch. I got some new ones on mine about a month ago. My back ones were extremely bald!

dura to the max
12-10-2008, 09:51 PM
My back ones were extremely bald!

from what?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dura to the max
12-10-2008, 09:53 PM
tires look good Mitch, though i woulda gone w/ 315/75/16 and crank the T-bars all the way up...

deere615
12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
from what?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:hammerhead: lol I just wore them down pulling the trailer and such. Never even really did burnouts. But I wanted to make them last until the begining of winter

Kennedy Landscaping
12-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah I hope to get another year out of mine hopefully. Then I may go with BFG KO's:)

DSLND
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Dura: This was the biggest tire that would fit on the truck as it is. I really didn't want to any more money than I had to on it right now. I need to get another mower, so the more money I can save, the better.

I would rather not discuss numbers on a public place like this. But overall, I did very well this year. Gross was twice what it was last year.

-Mitch-

AndyTblc
12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Have you been out plowing with people yet this year? You said you were going to test drive some plows to see which ones you like.

DSLND
12-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Have you been out plowing with people yet this year? You said you were going to test drive some plows to see which ones you like.

We haven't had but a few teaser storms (1" or less). I did do my driveway with my buddy's F350 w/8' Western the other day (had prob. an 1" of snow). I really liked it.

He also has a Blizzard on another truck, hopefully i'll get to try that out soon.

-Mitch-

Kennedy Landscaping
12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Was it a dually 350?

DSLND
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Was it a dually 350?

Nope. F350 1 Ton Pickup.

-Mitch-

oakwdman
12-11-2008, 05:16 PM
We have had 3 plowable events up in McHenry county so far this year. I'm not complaining lol.
Mitch is you dont mind me asking how much did you give for those tires?

DSLND
12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
We have had 3 plowable events up in McHenry county so far this year. I'm not complaining lol.
Mitch is you dont mind me asking how much did you give for those tires?

You stink! Our first actual storm was proboably a good two inches, but only an inch stuck to the pavement. But a city half hour away got nailed with 3"?! WTF? lol

But I gave about $180/tire.

-Mitch-

AndyTblc
12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
We've had 3 plowing events, BUT I only did 2 because it was right on the border on where I start heading out, and I didn't go, I should have but, oh well.

dura to the max
12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Dura: This was the biggest tire that would fit on the truck as it is. I really didn't want to any more money than I had to on it right now. I need to get another mower, so the more money I can save, the better.

I would rather not discuss numbers on a public place like this. But overall, I did very well this year. Gross was twice what it was last year.

-Mitch-

i have the 01 version and by cranking the T-bars (free) i clear a 315/75/16 no problem.

DSLND
01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Just got the truck back from getting lettered last night. I was getting tired of the magnets falling off, and the lettering was very reasonable to get installed.

Also got some new shirts.

*First one shows the truck with the magnets.

-Mitch-

DSLND
01-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Tailgate Lettered.

And yes, I know the tailgate handle really sticks out without the cover! I'm going to get all chrome handles here pretty soon.

DSLND
01-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Extended Cab Windows.

DSLND
01-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Some new shirts.

Lakewlc
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
looks really good

Junior M
01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I am just curious, but do you get funny looks or anything at school, when your wearing say a company shirt, or show up in a truck with lettering like that all over it? I sure do, but I think it maybe my awesome good looks ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:

MysticLandscape
01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I am just curious, but do you get funny looks or anything at school, when your wearing say a company shirt, or show up in a truck with lettering like that all over it? I sure do, but I think it maybe my awesome good looks ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:

When I was in school with my own truck and company, people use to idolize me an my other buddy that had his own company to.

Lawn Enforcer
01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
When I was in school with my own truck and company, people use to idolize me an my other buddy that had his own company to.

It's the same with me, people get jealous

Mitch, very nice lettering, it looks really good!

lawn crafters
01-10-2009, 12:30 PM

i always get kids asking me if i would hire them, like that would happen, them get up at 6:30 and be at my shop, kids today with the exeption of some are very lazy.

i had one kid tell me for every $100 dollars i make i only had to give him 10$ of it. he also gets up at 11:00 in the afternoon.

Junior M
01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
i always get kids asking me if i would hire them, like that would happen, them get up at 6:30 and be at my shop, kids today with the exeption of some are very lazy.

i had one kid tell me for every $100 dollars i make i only had to give him 10$ of it. he also gets up at 11:00 in the afternoon.
I've had some people ask me that to, I just play it off and be like yeah, sure and change the subject..

lawn crafters
01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
thats exactly wat i do, unless i think they would be a hard worker

JerseyGreen
01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
My senior year at high school i was wearing my company shirts and sweat shirt all the time

nnj18
01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
That looks GREAT Mitch!!!

lgyardservices
01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
how much was the vinyl lettering?

DSLND
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
looks really good

Thanks!

When I meet most people, the conversation comes up of the whole "owning a business", even if I try to keep it quiet. Everyone knows my truck, even before I had the lettering or magnets, people could spot it. I don't get any funny looks, although I have had a few people call me looking for jobs:usflag:

Sounds similar to my situation.

It's the same with me, people get jealous

Mitch, very nice lettering, it looks really good!

Yep, and Thanks!

Same here, same here. People think since its not a McDonalds, it would be easy cash.... its not

Haha! I wonder how long he would have lasted....:rolleyes:

-Mitch-

DSLND
01-10-2009, 02:41 PM
That looks GREAT Mitch!!!

Thanks!

how much was the vinyl lettering?

$125

Magnets were $75/pair, and when I had to order 4 (they come in sets of two, and I wanted three, so i had to order 4) that came out to $150. So this is twice the information, and it was less expensive..

And none of my friends can steal this stuff:walking:

-Mitch-

Kennedy Landscaping
01-10-2009, 04:56 PM
That looks great Mitch! I have thought about doing my back window. Can't really do my tail gate easily though.

lawn crafters
01-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks!

Haha! I wonder how long he would have lasted....:rolleyes:

-Mitch-

i know i might have him help me once this year coming up but i dought it

DSLND
01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
That looks great Mitch! I have thought about doing my back window. Can't really do my tail gate easily though.

If you ever plan on plowing, do not do the back window! Mine is tinted, and it has to get replaced before I start plowing, because it is impossible to see out of once the sun goes down.

My extended cab windows are tinted as well, and with the lettering on them, you can barely see outside anymore.

But when you are plowing, you want that back window as clear as glass for visibility.

i know i might have him help me once this year coming up but i dought it

Awesome. Hope everything goes well for you.

-Mitch-

Lakewlc
01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
If you ever plan on plowing, do not do the back window! Mine is tinted, and it has to get replaced before I start plowing, because it is impossible to see out of once the sun goes down.

My extended cab windows are tinted as well, and with the lettering on them, you can barely see outside anymore.

But when you are plowing, you want that back window as clear as glass for visibility.

Awesome. Hope everything goes well for you.

-Mitch-

yea you want all the visability when plowing

oakwdman
01-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Mitch, I think you will find that your neck will kill you if your constantly looking out the back window while plowing. Just get a set of backup lights and you will be fine (tinted). And your neck will thank you once you learn to use the mirrors! lol, I cal tell you from experience!

deere615
01-10-2009, 11:18 PM

I had kids asking too work for me too. Most knew I owned the biz. And most knew my truck since I was like the only kid that drove a truck.

Herrick
01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Mitch, looks great.

Word of waring though... My insurance guy has informed me that if I have any advertising on my truck without having commercial insurance on it, that there's a chance they could refuse the claim. With as big as you are getting, having the right insurance eventually WILL save your butt and business. Easy way to lose everything over something really stupid.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-10-2009, 11:45 PM
How do you like your BG85 and BR550 Combo Mitch? I have contemplated getting a BG85 but I'm still not sure, I just had a new flywheel put on my Poulan POS :dizzy:

KGR landscapeing
01-11-2009, 07:54 AM
I had kids asking too work for me too. Most knew I owned the biz. And most knew my truck since I was like the only kid that drove a truck. Nobody outside of my group talkd to me enless they needed something i guess i came off as a loner who was a rather hardass

How do you like your BG85 and BR550 Combo Mitch? I have contemplated getting a BG85 but I'm still not sure, I just had a new flywheel put on my Poulan POS :dizzy:

If u have a 550 or 600 and every person on ur crew can lift more then 40lbs ull never need a hand blower and ull never want one

DSLND
01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Mitch, looks great.

Word of waring though... My insurance guy has informed me that if I have any advertising on my truck without having commercial insurance on it, that there's a chance they could refuse the claim. With as big as you are getting, having the right insurance eventually WILL save your butt and business. Easy way to lose everything over something really stupid.

Thanks for the information, Rob. I will talk to my insurance guy.

The combo is great.

When I had my helper over the summer, he was used to running a hand blower, so he took the 85. I did have him use the 550 occasionally, but he always went for the handheld one if he could.

It was also nice because both of the blowers broke over the summer, both at different times thanfully, but they could each preform the tasks I need, just one may be more effecient than the other at certain jobsites.

Also for bush/hedge trimming, and spring/fall clean ups, the handheld is a must for getting behind shrubbery, in tight spots, etc. The backpack is great for piling everything up.

They each have their place, and I won't ever sell either of them without replacing them.

-Mitch-

ALarsh
01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
If you switch to commercial insurance, you will notice your rates will be cut in half, or around there. But you usually need to be on a personal car policy also on another vehicle (thats how State Farm works...)

I like the lettering. Did you take in pics of my truck and say you wanted something similar? :waving: I like how they put white around the green on the window pics... Just not sure about the wheelbarrow.

Dunlaps LawnCare
01-11-2009, 02:01 PM
looks great !!!!

DSLND
01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
If you switch to commercial insurance, you will notice your rates will be cut in half, or around there. But you usually need to be on a personal car policy also on another vehicle (thats how State Farm works...)

I like the lettering. Did you take in pics of my truck and say you wanted something similar? :waving: I like how they put white around the green on the window pics... Just not sure about the wheelbarrow.

Haha, I did!:laugh::laugh: I took my ideas and business card to the designer and he did everything.

looks great !!!!

Thanks!

-Mitch-

deere615
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Nobody outside of my group talkd to me enless they needed something i guess i came off as a loner who was a rather hardass

I had a few kids outside of my group that would talk to me. Yeah then I had others come to me only when they needed soemthing also. But yeah since I went to a smaller highschool everyone new my truck. I let one kid work for me from my class and he was big in sports and all that, he lasted 3hrs and wanted me to take him home:hammerhead:

lawn crafters
01-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I had a few kids outside of my group that would talk to me. Yeah then I had others come to me only when they needed soemthing also. But yeah since I went to a smaller highschool everyone new my truck. I let one kid work for me from my class and he was big in sports and all that, he lasted 3hrs and wanted me to take him home:hammerhead:

that kid sounds like a great worker, can i pick him up to work for me

Kennedy Landscaping
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Only person at school who really knows about my business is my GF, which is wierd cuz I wear company shirts to school all the time. She loves my truck too, alot of people know my truck :)

deere615
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
that kid sounds like a great worker, can i pick him up to work for me

lol, I did a cleanup b4 I pucked him up and 4 lawns after. I have another kid I know from grade school. He is a great worker, and a great trimmer, little slow but does an excellent job. So when I need him I call him.

DSLND
02-07-2009, 08:55 AM
So we are getting some great weather this weekend into next week. All the snow is melting, so things are kind of muddy.

But I thought these pictures were cool.:rolleyes:

BTW, I'm going to get all the equipment out this weekend and fire everything up. I'll also be adding some stuff to the 16' trailer, so I will snap some pictures.

-Mitch-

BTW, I will be starting an '09 thread here pretty soon. This one is getting pretty lengthy.

DSLND
02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Last one for now.

nnj18
02-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Mitch keep the thread going....that way everyone can see where you've come from and where you're going all in one thread. jmo

the truck looks really good...I like it! :waving:

dura to the max
02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Mitch keep the thread going....that way everyone can see where you've come from and where you're going all in one thread. jmo

the truck looks really good...I like it! :waving:

but the odds of someone reading through this entire thread to see that are pretty slim...jmo

Scag413
02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
truck looks very nice Mitch even though it isnt clean it is always nice to see a little mud on 4x4s once and awhile

AndyTblc
02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
It's not even the middle of February and you're getting stuff out? Kind of early. ALSO it's not Christmas anymore so you can take the wreaths down.

Scag413
02-07-2009, 02:13 PM
It's not even the middle of February and you're getting stuff out? Kind of early. ALSO it's not Christmas anymore so you can take the wreaths down.

For some people Christmas lasts all year. If more people had that mind set the world would be a better place.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Truck looks good Mitch. This thread is short compared to Micahs lol. His is over 260 pages :dizzy:

DSLND
02-07-2009, 06:00 PM
truck looks very nice Mitch even though it isnt clean it is always nice to see a little mud on 4x4s once and awhile

Yeah, read below. There was a lot more mud as the day went on.

Its 58 out right now. I normally do this, just to get the engines running and it gives me a chance to mark anything that may be wrong with the mowers (for example, I always have at least one piece of equipment each year that needs the carb. cleaned out or the tire replaced) and I still have time to get the parts ordered.

The wreaths, talk to my mother about that one.

It seems like every thread I start, you find something to nag about. Just because its not your way of doing things or whatever, doesn't mean its not someone else's. JMHO

Truck looks good Mitch. This thread is short compared to Micahs lol. His is over 260 pages :dizzy:

Haha! Yeah, his thread is long, but if you keep up with it consistantly, you find some good information and pics.

-Mitch-

DSLND
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
So I'm not going to elaborate on how my truck got this dirty (it has never been this dirty), but I will say I over anticipated how dry the ground was :rolleyes: and 4x4 didn't help much.

So here is what my truck looked like after my "incident"

DSLND
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
It was overdue for some cleaning anyways, so I went all out and did everything (washed, tire shined, vacumed, etc.) and this is what the end result looked like :)

dura to the max
02-07-2009, 06:10 PM
your momma is gonna kill you when she sees her driveway.

KGR landscapeing
02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Mitch its all about traction in mudd it dosent help to fling the mudd all over the place. I took my truck over my grandparents for lunch were i gave it a bath and washd 3 months of road grime off. that was one dirty drive way after that

DSLND
02-07-2009, 06:12 PM
your momma is gonna kill you when she sees her driveway.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its clean now....don't worry. Its her backyard with tire ruts that she hasn't seen yet.... haha j/k

-Mitch-

DSLND
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Mitch its all about traction in mudd it dosent help to fling the mudd all over the place. I took my truck over my grandparents for lunch were i gave it a bath and washd 3 months of road grime off. that was one dirty drive way after that

Oh yeah, I know. I was hoping those new Pro-Comp 285's would help, but the only thing that could have helped would have been super swampers:weightlifter::weightlifter: Maybe an add to the wish list? lol

-Mitch-

deere615
02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I had mine all muddy like that once, so did you get out or have to be pulled out?

davis45
02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Ya'll must be some city slickers if you think thats muddy! Thats how a truck should look, its hardly even dirty.

AndyTblc
02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Ya'll must be some city slickers if you think thats muddy! Thats how a truck should look, its hardly even dirty.

I've never had my truck that dirty, I have run threw a few small mud puddles. I make it a rule to wash my truck at least once a week if not 2. I think it's embarrassing to drive around with mud or dust or salt all over my truck.

deere615
02-07-2009, 09:22 PM
I've never had my truck that dirty, I have run threw a few small mud puddles. I make it a rule to wash my truck at least once a week if not 2. I think it's embarrassing to drive around with mud or dust or salt all over my truck.

Salt can be ugly. Mud like that gives a truck character, but I usually dont let it stay on too long

Junior M
02-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Here its typical, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, plus some people are to lazy to wash there truck that much, like me.. :cool2::laugh:

davis45
02-07-2009, 09:24 PM

Its a truck man, use it as one, haha. :laugh:

I live in hillbilly country. Everyone has big ole trucks. After a rain, we know where to meet to have some fun haha.

AndyTblc
02-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Its a truck man, use it as one, haha. :laugh:

I live in hillbilly country. Everyone has big ole trucks. After a rain, we know where to meet to have some fun haha.

LOL, I do, I pull my trailer, I pull my camper, I plow snow with it. I did want to put a lazy boy chair in the back. But I keep my cover on the back so it doesn't get dirty or wet.

South Florida Lawns
02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
So you got stuck huh?

DSLND
02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I had mine all muddy like that once, so did you get out or have to be pulled out?

I barely got out. I was in 4x4 and it was just throwing mud everywhere. I was in a rut about 6" deep, and it was a mess. I had to really put that 6L to use today.

-Mitch-

deere615
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I barely got out. I was in 4x4 and it was just throwing mud everywhere. I was in a rut about 6" deep, and it was a mess. I had to really put that 6L to use today.

-Mitch-

lol well at least you made it out

DSLND
02-14-2009, 01:55 PM
So I was storing everything in a portion of my parent's garage (10x12 area) and it was nice. But I wanted to get out of there so they could have some more space and I would have a place of my own.

So I am now renting a 10x20 shop. I wanted a 12x35 but they don't have any open at this time.

Why I chose this:

Its a 1/2 mile from my school. I will have to take my trailer with me to school, but then I can get out, head to the storage shop, load up and go mow. Saving me a ten minute drive to my house and at least a ten minute drive back to town.

A LCO that is like family to me is ten feet from my storage unit. If I need a piece of equipment or they need something, its right there.

I needed more space!

So here are some pictures.

-Mitch-

DSLND
02-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Number two..... (My favorite piece in the shop)

DSLND
02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Number Three

DSLND
02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Last one....

DSLND
02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Woops... Here is the final picture.

I need to make some kind of holder for all of these. I used to have hooks on the wall, but thats not available in the new shop

Kennedy Landscaping
02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
New shop looks good. I too would like to quit storing things in my garage and have a place on my own. We'll see how the season goes I guess, I'd like to keeps costs down as much as possible. I bet that sounded nice though, rompin on it with them flowmasers:D
I love the way my Magnaflows sound when you stomp it. purrrrrrr

DSLND
02-14-2009, 02:23 PM
New shop looks good. I too would like to quit storing things in my garage and have a place on my own. We'll see how the season goes I guess, I'd like to keeps costs down as much as possible. I bet that sounded nice though, rompin on it with them flowmasers:D
I love the way my Magnaflows sound when you stomp it. purrrrrrr

Haha. Yeah, the best place to hear the flowmasters is down at the storage units. They have rows of units, and if you go down the isles, the flowmasters just echo and its pretty sweet:cool2:

-Mitch-

nnj18
02-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Looking good Mitch! I remember you telling me about your plans to move to this shop, glad to see it all worked out for you!! I had backpedal a little this year and go with some lesco hydros, the new z controls are very nice though I must admit.

Lakewlc
02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
looks really good. i would like to have something soon

Petr51488
02-14-2009, 03:17 PM
If you don't mind how much are you paying for this rental? You bring your trailer to school with you every day?

lawn crafters
02-14-2009, 03:21 PM
y not leave the trailer at the shop? idk if your shop is the same but where i am some rental places have areas to park trailers

KGR landscapeing
02-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Haha. Yeah, the best place to hear the flowmasters is down at the storage units. They have rows of units, and if you go down the isles, the flowmasters just echo and its pretty sweet:cool2:

-Mitch-

theres a couple train bridges around here and if ur on the gas going threw them my flow master will make u wish u had ur windows up.

Dunlaps LawnCare
02-14-2009, 04:18 PM
looks really good

DSLND
02-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Looking good Mitch! I remember you telling me about your plans to move to this shop, glad to see it all worked out for you!! I had backpedal a little this year and go with some lesco hydros, the new z controls are very nice though I must admit.

Thanks. Have you tried out the Lesco Standers? I'm curious about how they will do.

looks really good. i would like to have something soon

Thanks

If you don't mind how much are you paying for this rental? You bring your trailer to school with you every day?

$75/Month for the 10x20. Thats for nothing but a storage unit. They have security cameras and a outlet outside of each shop. I run an extension chord outside and run power into my shop (I have lights, my bench grinder, and a radio)

I will proboably take my trailer to school with me each day. We have a decent sized parking lot and nothing will be on the trailer.

y not leave the trailer at the shop? idk if your shop is the same but where i am some rental places have areas to park trailers

There really isn't much room for it. Or atleast in the area I am at. I may try to put it over by my buddy's trailer, but I'm not sure he has room.

looks really good

Thanks

-Mitch-