PDA

View Full Version : Ear protection?

stevenf
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Who here wears ear protection? I do all of my accounts 1 day a week and I am finding myself getting really hard of hearing.

MJS
06-22-2008, 11:39 PM
ME !!! :weightlifter:

I'll just be blunt and say it's kinda stupid to not wear ear protection when you're operating loud equipment for long periods of time.
So wear earplugs. . .or muffs. . .whatever works for you. It's really that simple, and that's all it takes to preserve your hearing.

No offense intended :)

P.Services
06-22-2008, 11:44 PM
i think im going to start. i hate going to bed and i can still hear the whip.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-22-2008, 11:49 PM
I use ear plugs.....not when I am mowing with my 21" but especially when mowing with my high RPM WB, trimmer, or blower. Gotta save those ears for another day....

93Chevy
06-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I def. use ear protection on everything. Even when I'm mulching by hand, my wheelbarrow has a nasty squeak to it. lol

LawnTamer
06-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I started using earmuffs a few years ago, I have since switched to earplugs for comfort. One day I forgot them, I couldn't believe how loud everything was! I actually went and got some ear plugs for the day. Save your hearing!

Lawnut101
06-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I use ear plugs.....not when I am mowing with my 21" but especially when mowing with my high RPM WB, trimmer, or blower. Gotta save those ears for another day....

Yup, me as well. Although, sometimes I forget them, and then I don't. But I try to most of the time.

dura to the max
06-23-2008, 12:05 AM
my muffs hang on the controls of the w/b or the trimmer. gotta have em. i like muffs over plugs b/c theyre quicker when Mrs Neighborhoodgossipbigmouth comes to speak to you. theyre more comfortable. and they last longer. and my footsteps dont echo on every step. my best guy uses plugs though. i have found though that the harder something is to use the less likely i am to use it. its easier for me to use muffs.

Jason Rose
06-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I prefer plugs. They DO take some getting used too. The above mentioned the echo and general hearing things oddly, it seems to actually go away after some time. I don't even notice mine at all anymore. I also agree, I can't run mowers or trimmers without them in my ears, most of the stuff I have is just LOUD to me anymore.

With them in, I can actually leave the mower on idle, sitting on it, and carry a conversation with a customer. They seem to block out the mower noise yet allow me to hear the voices. Same is true for the phone. Mower at idle I can answer the phone with the ear plugs and hear just fine, without I can't hear a word the person is saying on the phone over the engine.

Can't stand the muffs, too hot, and I have big ears and they really smash them and hurt. Plus I wear a wide brimmed straw hat in the hot weather and that dosn't jive with the muffs.

mngrassguy
06-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Muffs are too hot. I wear ear plugs, eye protection and a substantial shoe.

PLM-1
06-23-2008, 01:48 AM
I can't stand muffs. They're way too hot and sweaty; they also have a bad drone with the mower deck running. I will only wear them on a windy day to keep my hat from flying off; however, I wear ear plugs under them.

kleankutslawn
06-23-2008, 01:57 AM
i have both of them but don't use them.i'll give them both a try tomorrow

Rayholio
06-23-2008, 03:09 AM
Ear protection is VERY important.. Usually feel like I'm the only guy in town that uses it.. and I used if from day one... some of the guys that have been doing this a few years can't hear me making fun of them...

I like the muffs... I also use ear plug head phones under the muffs.. I have a serius sat. radio hooked up to an RF transmitter, and high gain antenna on my truck.. so I can listen to some good music while I work..

Valk
06-23-2008, 11:21 AM
So your truck transmits the signal to you?!? If so, what kind of range do you have from your truck for decent reception?

Foam ear plugs for me - ALWAYS. I buy 25 pairs at a time and go through 2-4 pairs a week minimum. It really helps to pull your ear tip up and back with the opposite hand to open up the ear canal for a solid fit.

mnglocker
06-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I do voice-over work on the side and I NEED to have good hearing for that. I often find myself doubleing up on plugs and muffs for the really louds work like trimming and using chainsaws. Most everything else I use my AOSafety WorkTunes. 8) It helps the day go by faster when you have music or a good talk show to listen too.

STIHL GUY
06-23-2008, 05:50 PM
i wear the ear muffs with a built in radio. works well

Rayholio
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
You bet! I can get good reception on most lawns.. when I get on sprawling estates, there are often dead spots.. but it's all about getting a good antenna.. have a 2 way radio shop build, and tune it..

So your truck transmits the signal to you?!? If so, what kind of range do you have from your truck for decent reception?

Foam ear plugs for me - ALWAYS. I buy 25 pairs at a time and go through 2-4 pairs a week minimum. It really helps to pull your ear tip up and back with the opposite hand to open up the ear canal for a solid fit.

LeifGreen
06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
I use muffs with plugs under them. can barley hear the mower trimmer or whatever.

gotta save the ears.

Cutter1
06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
work tunes, get them off the internet, but lowes carries them now, 50 bucks, am/fm radio in them great for work. Can't cut without them.

mybowtie
06-23-2008, 07:21 PM
You bet! I can get good reception on most lawns.. when I get on sprawling estates, there are often dead spots.. but it's all about getting a good antenna.. have a 2 way radio shop build, and tune it..

Thinking of the xm or serius. Do you have wired headphones to a reciver??
I tried wired headphones to a radio on a belt clip, but wires always got caught up in branches and rippin the damm things off. If your setup is wireless im interested.
Using worktunes now, but looking for something different..............:usflag:

railman
06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I use them. I get them for free at work. so why not use them.same with safety glasses.

Midstate Lawncare
06-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Mrs Neighborhoodgossipbigmouth QUOTE]
That happens to be a really common name around here. lol I wear earplugs all day everyday, sometimes I wear them at home too... I have a wife and four kids.... life seems ALOT easier with earplugs in!!!

k911lowe
06-23-2008, 10:20 PM
huh,what did you say?

philmdamien
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
MP3 player into Skull Candy ear buds which are essentially ear plugs with speakers and a set of Stihl 25 Db noise reduction muffs over that. The best of both worlds.

xxl
07-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I do cant stand my backpack wine but love how that thing moves air

CLL Lawn and Landscaping
07-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Ear protection is mandated for me and my guys. We use muffs only because they don't have to be replaced as much, and they are much harder to lose.

jds720
07-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a Shure earplugs, they block out around 28 db, and i can listen to music with out it be on full volume

Exact Rototilling
07-04-2008, 04:01 AM
I have a Shure earplugs, they block out around 28 db, and i can listen to music with out it be on full volume

+1

I also wear My Peltors -30db, my current Avatar, over the top of those.

I see very few LCOs in my area wear any hearing protection of any kind. :hammerhead:

Guess who will be turning up their TV to 5 times normal volume when they are 65?

topsites
07-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Ear protection always, no exception.

I also think the muffs are too hot, they're nice to have in winter thou...
But in summer, for a one-time expense of $40 or so I picked up a great big box of plugs at Napa (like 200 sets I think) and I don't have to worry about where these things are coming from ever again.

hackitdown
07-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Worktunes, safety glasses, and work shoes for me and my helper. No exceptions. I buy the glasses by the dozen for about $2.50/pair. I provide the Worktunes and batteries also. The helper must wear boots or heavy shoes.

Helpers often whine about the Worktunes the first couple of days, but after a while, they can't work without them.

HandyHomeMedic
07-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Who here wears ear protection? I do all of my accounts 1 day a week and I am finding myself getting really hard of hearing.

Huh?? :confused: