PDA

View Full Version : Village lighting- Christmas lighting. I know it's June.

Lite4
06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey guys,
I know I am a little ahead of the curve here, but I just want to be prepared for doing Christmas lights this year. I really don't want to do them but I fear I may need to, to keep revenue coming in during the winter. I have briefly looked at village lighting but is there some companies out there that offer training in all the new fangled christmas lighting and hanging methods? I just need to know the best ways to market for them.
Thanks in Advance.

David Gretzmier
06-24-2008, 12:05 AM
I have bought Christmas supplies from nearly all the companies, and I currently buy 90% of my stuff from Holiday Bright Lights in Omaha. They are by far the best quantity. They offer training classes that are ok, but there is probably triple what you learn in class that you will learn on the job. the training gives you a starting point. the products they sell are unique, and very long lasting. I will be speaking at thier convention in a few weeks. I am in no way connected financially to that company.

I've also bought a distributorship from Brite Ideas in Omaha, and You can PM me on what I think of them.

I had a chance to buy into Christmas Decor, and they have by far the best training, but also the most expensive costs. I passed on an existing company that owned the rights to may area.

Bethlehem/GKI is huge and good, but no training.

Litesource out of Texas has some good stuff, but really only a catalog company.

Santa Claus Inc. has awesome bows for large wreaths.

Bright Ideas INC out of chicago has great c-9 bulbs at great prices.

Lite4
06-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Wow, great info. Thanks Dave. What would you suggest I do for training? ie... bidding, installation tips, customer sales and retention, storage and site mapping, etc.. Like I said, I know nothing of this industry and am hoping to soften the learning curve a bit.

Mark B
06-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I was thinking about it the other week as well. Last year I missed a good job due to the customer could not make there minds up. Hopefully I will get some good holiday lighting this year.

Lite4
06-24-2008, 12:22 AM
I keep hearing there is decent money to be made in it. Seems like a natural addition to what I already do and it is/or should be seasonal recurring revenue.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Tim, ever considered branching into Residential Interior Lighting Design? The season is much longer then Christmas Lighting and I find the job satisfaction much higher too.

Lite4
06-24-2008, 02:24 AM
James,
yes, I would actually prefer to do that. I again would be behind the learning curve as I am not very familiar with many interior fixture brands and products.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Tim, it is your knowledge of light, lamps, effects, and passion that will carry the day and sell the jobs. The product and technology used to deliver the design is the easy part.

Just take your knowledge, understanding, and technique and apply it to interiors. The most challenging thing is co-operating and juggling with the: Architects, Interior Designers, Builders, Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, and to some degree the inspectors.

You already know how to apply fantastic lighting to objects, surfaces and areas, now all you need to do is think outside of the box and learn a few basic interior lighting principles. I find that my theatrical stage lighting experience, combined with my outdoor lighting experience gives me a very real "outside the box" kind of flair for interiors, something that my clients seem to enjoy in their homes. Definitely Dramatic, and Definitely not drab!

If you want some tips and ideas, by all means call me one evening at the office, after 9pm est and before midnight usually works unless I am aiming.

As Bill Locklin was fond of saying: "Get out of your rut!" and believe me, we are all in some sort of rut somewhere in our lives....

Have a great day.

TXNSLighting
06-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Ive been looking into the interior lighting more, ive found a book im goin to order. Whats the basics? Do you have to be an electrician to do this?

Lite4
06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks James,
I will call you to get some of the particulars.
Talk to you soon.

David Gretzmier
06-27-2008, 01:39 AM
I definetly could use some training on the interior aspect of lighting. I get at least a dozen or so calls a year for interiors, I've tried but failed to find any good books on training. sure, I can reccomend some great mr-16 thoughts, but I need more !

Finding good training on the Christmas light thing is unfortunately difficult as well. I've been to training at Brite ideas and Holiday Bright Lights, i've seen village lighting stuff and I have seen bootleg Christmas Decor stuff. Christmas Decor is by far the best trainer out there, but you can't really get thier stuff unless you own a franchise for 20 grand or so. The guys that sell lights and the guys that sell training can soften the learning curve, but you really don't know how long it will take 2-3 guys to decorate a house until you just do it. I've heard training guys say ridiculous things in traing classes, both underestimating and overestimating time wildly. weather plays a HUGE factor in how long it takes to do a house, both hot and cold. roofing material, pitches, even the slope of the ground where ladders will go play another huge factor in a bid.