PDA

View Full Version : The "new" Walker Hi-Dump, for those who have never seen it.

Jason Rose
06-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Thoght I'd post the pics I took of the machine I had for a whole 2 days... I bought this thinking it was going to be perfect for me, but then found out that it barely would clear the sides of my truck, and sometimes it wouldn't clear the side at all... The added weight was going to be a hinderance on slopes and ditches as well. It's an AWESOME piece of engeniering for sure though. Darn cool to watch it lift up and dump into the truck. A far cry over the old All Seasons lift that raised the box into the stratosphere. The walker design lift you can barely tell it's there from apperance on the outside, they list it raising the box 3 inches, but I doubt it's even that much.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/2008Walker008.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/2008Walker009.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/2008Walker010.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/2008Walker011.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/26jason79/Trucks%20and%20mowers/2008Walker012.jpg

Kennedy Landscaping
06-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Very nice machine!! How much would something like that run a guy if you don't mind. Thinking about getting some type of a Walker.

Jason Rose
06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
The MTGHS with 48" deck was $9,400, the rapid height adjuster was $400 installed, and the comfort seat was $200 to swap it out for the standard seat. The Hi-Dump is $3,000, but that's only if you order it from the factory pre-installed. If you want one to put on your existing machine it's around $3,800 for the lift, labor, and tax.

Yes, makes for one very expensive mower...

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Man! That thing is crazy.:dizzy:
Was it too late for your truck when you found out it wouldn't clear?
So the dealer took it back. Right!

Lawn Enforcer
06-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Man, that sure looks like one sexy machine- I'd love to have a Walker next year

Jason Rose
06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Man! That thing is crazy.:dizzy:
Was it too late for your truck when you found out it wouldn't clear?
So the dealer took it back. Right!

Wel, the truck I use had a flat-bed dump on it with steel sides. They are custom fabricated, 2 feet tall, and have my graphics on them. They are light, but pretty tough. I was watching CLOSE to make sure I didn't damage anything though. Wasn't much fun when half the load of grass ended up on the ground a few times though!

Yeah, the dealer took it back in exchange for another new unit minus the hi-dump. I'm happy, but the dealer isn't too thrilled with me.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-24-2008, 12:42 AM
That thing dosent even look like it would clear my truck and i have a standard 2wd gmc sierra 1500. mhmmmmm

Jason Rose
06-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I should have got a pic of it next to my dump bed truck... The book says it will clear 67", but I think that's only if the stars are aligned just right. My truck bed is 64" in the center, without the trailer hooked up and with no load in the bed, and on flat ground it would just barely eek over the side just far enough to deposit the load right inside the edge of the side. If I could approach from a curb, with the truck being 6" or so lower, it would clear great, but I only have that option about 1/4 of the time.

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-24-2008, 01:12 AM
yeah. somethin in my head just went off. how about you back up onto some type of ramp. maybe somethin like this. http://www.allramps.com/URB9000-3.jpg just make sure the back wheel is in the middle of the ramps. and then u will have just got a lil higher off the ground as if the truck was next to a curb. what u and others think about that?

Petr51488
06-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Wow, i don't know how anyone can justify spending over 3g's on a stupid lift for the bagger unit. And to pay over 12k for a mower is insane. I thank god everyday for the area that I live in. 36'' mower and a 21'' and you're golden.

Supper Grassy
06-24-2008, 11:16 AM
That is a Sweet mower

k911lowe
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
i have always liked that rear bag,dump attachment.makes life so easy. there's a lot out here.

Kennedy Landscaping
06-25-2008, 12:30 AM
thanks alot for the reply

Raven386
06-25-2008, 01:09 AM
those walkers look like an amazing machine... If I had to get another mower, I would def. consider a walker. after reading up about the machines they seem very well built and all the pictures I have seen show them cutting beautifully. Guess we will see if my buddy buys one. lots of luck with your new mower!

MarcSmith
06-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm with Cheif. all you really need is a small ramp for the tail dragger and chain it to the truck so its always there when you need it....one for each side....

I too am glad that I don't have to regularly pick up clipping, but I'd love to have a fleet of walkers on campus. It would add an extra day to my cut schedule. but the cut quality is so nice though...

Mowingman
06-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I used to have two Walkers and they were fantastic machines. If I ever get back into mowing, I am getting a Walker and taking on only properties where the Walker can be used.

Bolton
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
And to pay over 12k for a mower is insane.

We paid around 40K$ for a frontal two years ago and we're still satisfied. The beast just paid for itself in a few months.

MarcSmith
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
gotta spend it make it....and if you wanna play ball in the big leagues, you need some deep pockets sometimes.

deere615
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Thats a pretty cool mower, I have heard about them but never seen one before.

DixieFerris
06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Great dumping mechanism. Too bad it's on a Walker!

Petr51488
06-25-2008, 11:34 PM
We paid around 40K$ for a frontal two years ago and we're still satisfied. The beast just paid for itself in a few months.

I didn't mean it for those huge 60 foot mowers, i meant for a small (compared to yours) machine.

Green Team Landscaping
06-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I just have one question, and im not saying they're bad machines, but why not just put a bagger on a turn? these things seem enormous.

merrimacmill
06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
They cut real nice, I have noticed that I hardly ever see a landscaper without a walker around here. Unless its a solo guy. I ususally don't see solo guys with walkers. But if its a company with crews, theres usually always a walker. I'd love to have one someday, but can't justify the cost right now since we do mostly mulching, plantings, bed installs, etc..

Raven386
06-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Wow, i don't know how anyone can justify spending over 3g's on a stupid lift for the bagger unit. And to pay over 12k for a mower is insane. I thank god everyday for the area that I live in. 36'' mower and a 21'' and you're golden.

I paid 11K +/- for my Lazer Z w/ Ultravac..... A walker is pretty much the same thing, a lawn mower with collection system. so its really not that crazy. JMO

Green Team Landscaping
06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
They cut real nice, I have noticed that I hardly ever see a landscaper without a walker around here. Unless its a solo guy. I ususally don't see solo guys with walkers. But if its a company with crews, theres usually always a walker. I'd love to have one someday, but can't justify the cost right now since we do mostly mulching, plantings, bed installs, etc..
wowthats strangewelive kinda close and up here it's all scags, exmarks, toros, ferris, you know. z turns. this thing much come in handy around fall clean up time though. can it make z turns?

Jason Rose
06-26-2008, 12:51 AM
To answer a few questions...

1. for those who didn't get it I didn't keep the hi-dump machine, I only posted the pics of it for those who had never been able to actually see one.

2. why a walker instead of a midmound with a bagger? well that's up to the end user. I have both. The midmount excells at larger lawns where I can use the speed, and also it's a 61" cut so it covers a lot of ground fast. I can out mow the walker at least 2 to 1 with it. But, the walker is so small and compact it can go places I can't with the midmount. Even a 48" midmount with a catcher is MUCH larger than a 48" walker with the GHS.

3. Yes, I'm aware that I started several threads at basically the same time, but they all were for different reasons. This one is to show the hi-dump, another to show off the machine I actually have and the rapid height adjuster, and the original thread was about my issues I was fearing when I was going to take the walker with the hi-dump back to the dealer.

Green team: you need to go to Walker.com and just look at them... They are no where near as large as most "z-turns" and yes, it makes zero degree turns, lol.

02DURAMAX
06-26-2008, 05:05 AM
Looks Like an Awesome mower!...And yea you need to spend some to make it..

2 clowns mowing
06-26-2008, 07:24 AM
i love my high dump. i use a 2x4 ramp to dump into my dump truck and no ramp for the f-250 pickup. works great when picking up leaves and grass

STIHL GUY
06-26-2008, 10:49 PM
thats a nice mower

Drew Gemma
06-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Quality of cut
best bagging system period
they seem to last
compact storage
I love operating ours better than a a

But open or rough terrain mid mount all the way hustler or scag

Lil'MowinMan93
06-28-2008, 12:44 AM
is your truck lifted or something? cuz that thing looks like it'll clear just about anything.

Jason Rose
06-28-2008, 12:56 AM
is your truck lifted or something? cuz that thing looks like it'll clear just about anything.

lifted? nope, but it's a 4x4 and has a dump bed. That adds quite a lot to the actual bed height, and then add 2 foot sides onto that and I end up with 64 inches from the ground to the top of the sides. the dump is *supposed* to lift 67", but it would onlt clear the bed if it felt like it. Yes, I could have built ramps to lug around, I could have chopped off several inches of the sides (which would mean I'd have to dump more often), I could have just bought a new truck with a longer bed... But there was more issuse with the hi-dump than just clearing the sides of the bed. It's a great peice of enginering for sure, and if you don't mow that much, yet are too lazy to lift the grass into the bed of the truck, it's awesome! But if you need to dump as much grass as humanly possible on an already full truck, there's no way it will get it on there. If the truck is more than even half full about 1/2 of the load from the hopper would end up on the ground.

The only way I see it working out is if I had a low rider 2 wheel drive truck, and I mean LOW. A low bed would mean more room for the grass to slide out of the hopper into it, I could dump more times before the bed is too full to dump into. A stock 2 wheel drive truck, with a factory bed you could pile grass higher than the cab, unfortunately you would also have to manually unload that grass from the truck, and when you get stuck out where you dump the grass you better have a friend with a 4x4 on speed dial...

Lil'MowinMan93
06-28-2008, 12:59 AM
haha i 'd kill to c a lowrider truck doing landscaping lol:laugh:

Jason Rose
06-28-2008, 01:05 AM
haha i 'd kill to c a lowrider truck doing landscaping lol:laugh:

I'll tell ya, I laugh my nuts off at these goofballs that drive around in those truck with the air and hydraulics, filp a switch and they are dragging the ground, flip it back and they are tilted to one side, and another and they look almost like a normal truck. the they stop and hit a switch and the thing drops the frame on the ground...

Now that could actually be handy as heck! My life would be soooo much easier if the sides of my bed were lower, but I still had the same, or more capicty as I do now. I guess i better get on that... some air bags and a cutting torch... low rider dump truck here I come! :rolleyes:

Lil'MowinMan93
06-28-2008, 01:07 AM
good luck with that lol:laugh:

KS_Grasscutter
06-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Hmmm... I wonder how much I could get for my MC on trade? That high dump would be PERFECT for me since I am so lazy...