PDA

View Full Version : poly basics

06-24-2008, 06:37 AM
We've been installing PVC systems for the last 8 years, but recently ran into a poly system in the field while doing repair work. Anyone know of a website or book my techs can go through to familiarize themselves with poly?

AI Inc
06-24-2008, 06:39 AM
not a whole lot to know , cut it add a little heat double clamps on zone pipes , triple clamps on main lines.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
We've been installing PVC systems for the last 8 years, but recently ran into a poly system in the field while doing repair work. Anyone know of a website or book my techs can go through to familiarize themselves with poly?

You poor soul. Running into poly would screw up my whole week.

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 07:11 AM
You will likely melt a few pipe ends while you learn how much heat it takes to make the stuff work easy. A pushbutton propane torch is the common heat source. If the poly pipe gets shiny, you have overheated it.

If it melts and catches fire, you have definitely overheated it.

nylan8888
06-24-2008, 07:18 AM
I would just rip it out and reinstall properly with pvc. Obviously it was installed by trunk slammers, no real sprinkler guy would use poly.:cool2:

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
I would just rip it out and reinstall properly with pvc. Obviously it was installed by trunk slammers, no real sprinkler guy would use poly.:cool2:Get her. :waving:

AI Inc
06-24-2008, 07:27 AM
I dont beleive she said that!

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-24-2008, 07:35 AM
I would just rip it out and reinstall properly with pvc. Obviously it was installed by trunk slammers, no real sprinkler guy would use poly.:cool2:

No trench through it and smile each time you see poly scraps coming to the surface.

Dripit good
06-24-2008, 07:50 AM

What do you people have against poly?? Poly is your friend. It's flexible, easy to carry mass quantities of it and easy to work with. I think it's getting a bad rap here.

And yes, real irrigators do use poly (without heat.......it separates us from the lawn cutters)

DanaMac
06-24-2008, 07:53 AM
No trench through it and smile each time you see poly scraps coming to the surface.

You PVC guys have obviously never dug up 60' of shattered 1.5 inch when it's the bottom pipe in a trench with 4 other pipes, 18" down. Makes you never want to see PVC again.

Now tell me how to reschedule 1-2 other days of scheduled jobs when you pull up to that kind of repair and take care of it at that time.......

DanaMac
06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
What do you people have against poly?? Poly is your friend. It's flexible, easy to carry mass quantities of it and easy to work with. I think it's getting a bad rap here.

And yes, real irrigators do use poly (without heat.......it separates us from the lawn cutters)

They are just jealous. It's how they cope with it.

I'm with ya, I've used a torch less than 10 times probably.

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Heat is less important than it used to be, what with improvements in fitting design. For repairs in limited space, though, it can be essential.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-24-2008, 07:57 AM
You PVC guys have obviously never dug up 60' of shattered 1.5 inch when it's the bottom pipe in a trench with 4 other pipes, 18" down. Makes you never want to see PVC again.

Now tell me how to reschedule 1-2 other days of scheduled jobs when you pull up to that kind of repair and take care of it at that time.......

We don't get freezes that deep he'ah. But you point is well taken. I had a 100' run of shattered pvc in a planter box from a freeze with large photinias. Major pain no doubt.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
They are just jealous. It's how they cope with it.

I'm with ya, I've used a torch less than 10 times probably.

What we are jealous of is the plow. What a dream if we could plow our stuff in.

Dripit good
06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
All you need is a little up & down motion, tad bit of force and....................

Success!!!!

DanaMac
06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
All you need is a little up & down motion, tad bit of force and....................

Success!!!!

Probably why my wrists are shot though.

nylan8888
06-24-2008, 08:13 AM
See, thats 2 strikes against you.
Poly and not having the sense to live somewhere that your ashle won't freeze shut.

nylan8888
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Success!!!!

That will make you go blind!:laugh:

Dripit good
06-24-2008, 08:20 AM
That will make you go blind!:laugh:

::reading current thread with my Ben Franklin's' on while wearing contacts::

DanaMac
06-24-2008, 09:24 AM
See, thats 2 strikes against you.
Poly and not having the sense to live somewhere that your ashle won't freeze shut.

I'd prefer snow year round. I love the cold.

AI Inc
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM

I like winter and snowmobiling , but I like blowouts and start ups too. I coulndt survive on repairs only. I think I would burn out.

Dripit good
06-24-2008, 12:32 PM

I love the snow and cold too!

Here we get a real winter, spring, summer and fall. Love the changing of the seasons, it really does help lessen burn out.