PDA

View Full Version : Starting back in the business

Loebs
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm getting back into the business again. I work for the fire dept. and my wife is changing from full time to part time, to be able to spend more time with our infant. Currently it's been daddy-day-care for the last 8 months. I used to run a crew for my fathers outfit and have helped other guys out at work with their outfits. I've got about 8-9 years expeirence and have some equipment. I have a Snapper Pro hydro WB 52" with a 22hp Kohlor, a Stihl hand blower 55 or 85, don't remember off hand, and an older Stihl FC 72 that I'm putting a new carb on this morning. I'm going to look at a trailer later this week, 7 x 12 with a V-nose 13' 6" total length inside, 6' high, and a 73" ramp door, side door, 3.5k torrsion axle with brakes, lights, vents, and a small diamond plate box on the tounge. The guy is asking $2600 for the trailer and only used it to haul his Harleys to bike week a few times a year. I'll hopefully be able to talk him down some on the price. My string trimmer died on me over the winter so I'm looking at a Kawasaki KGT27A, I was thinking of a Stihl FS100RX, however the service manager at my local mower shop said not to buy one as they are still having a lot of problems with them. Any thoughts on a trimmer under $350? Thanks, and any other things that I may not have thought of?

dura to the max
06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
if you already have stihl i would stick with the same brand. ive had the same stihl 4mix for 6 years and its still my primary unit. no downtime whatsoever. as far as the trailer, i dont like enclosed trailers. i had one and sold it for an open trailer that is 10 times more versaitle. w/ the enclosed i can only mow or put out pinestraw. w/ an open trailer i can haul skid steers, mulch, dirt, or just about anything, and all ive gotta do is back the mowers off. this way i still have all my hand tools and gas cans etc....my guys like the open trailer more too, its easier to work off of for mowing. plus my fuel bill is slightly smaller. w/ racks and a cage your tools are just as secure.

MitchDaniel
06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree with dura to the max. But, if you cannot possibly afford a stihl, you can easily get by with an Echo SRM-230 for $269 at Home Depot (at least for the short term). I use one as a backup for my Stihl, and I am very pleased with it. I don't know how long it will last, but right now I like it as much as my Stihl! I know several people that have used them for over 6 years with no problems.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100082181&N=10000003+90401+502008+4122

dura to the max
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM
look at good used stuff too. i have a redmax that i picked up cheap, and my guys like it more than the stihl b/c its light. so it has turned into almost the primary machine. i got it used 2 years ago for $130 and it is a commercial grade machine. it had almost no hrs on it.

Loebs
06-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm going with an enclosed trailer for a few reasons. It rains most every day in the summer and I want a nice dry place to keep my equipment. Nothing is going to stop a determined thief, but the more that is out of sight, out of mind the better. I don't have enough space in my garage for an open trailer for when I'm not mowing and the enclosed can stay outside while keeping everything dry and secure. It will also make a nice place to advertise on the sides and rear. I don't do bobcat work and have enough friends in the area that do, plus a skid steer would be way over the weight limit. As a bonus I can use it for goose hunting, we haul an open to MD each January and strapping down a few hundred decoys plus a 4-wheeler and layout blinds is a huge pain in the @ss. Local mower shop has the FS 90 for just under $300 so that might be an option.

Exact Rototilling
06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
For a small solo operation I feel an enclosed trailer is the best option. As long as you're not hauling any mulch, compost etc. But I also have another 4 x 8 trailer for hauling a cubic yard of compost etc. for renovations. If I had a bigger truck and a need for bigger ZTR mowers, had employees etc. and if mowing was a service priority for me [it's not] and I had covered parking for the trailer behind a gate then an open trailer would be vastly better.
:waving:

MileHigh
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
For a good trimmer I would pick up a Shindaiwa T242...

I bought a couple of them for $271.99 each before taxes.

Light and powerful, and come with speed-feed heads stock!

STIHL GUY
06-26-2008, 12:45 AM
stick with the STIHL i have had no downtime with mine