PDA

View Full Version : More copper thefts

DanaMac
06-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Per the Gazette Telegraph 6/24/08

COPS ON LOOKOUT FOR SPRINKLER THIEVES

Police say thieves in northeast Colorado Springs are cutting away heavy sprinkler valves and pipes to steal the copper.

Officers reported nearly a dozen of the thefts last week at homes and on city-owned property.

Many of the stolen valves were on rights-of-way along roads including Rangewood Drive, officers said. Police think the thieves pulled up in a car and used a power saw to cut through pipes and free the valves.

Copper thefts have been on the rise for months as the wholesale value of the metal has increased. Copper topped out at $3.81 per pound in futures trading Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange, making the valves and piping, which can top 200 pounds for commercial applications, an attractive target.

DanaMac
06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
We had one 3/4" PVB stolen recently at one property. Looks like it was done while water was on (had to be as we turned it on). But nobody at the office recalls turning the water off before they called us wondering why the lawn was dieing.

Waterit
06-24-2008, 09:59 AM
No reports of PVC theft?:laugh:

Price of pipe is nearly triple what it was in '04.

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
We need a galvanized PVB.

Dripit good
06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
That is a big problem here. We have several customers that were victims over the winter. For one 1-1/2" PVB customer (along with most businesses on the same street) this makes two years in a row now.

Another customer that got thieved is next door to a new Homeland Security building.

Some of these dumb a$$e$ are stealing the wire out of buildings and getting zapped and killed doing so.

k911lowe
06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
we've had a rash of them too.stealing copper from the irrigation pumps.they have to be repaired or they don't irrigate.they are also stealing copper wire.they have a law that requires recycle yards to get a drivers license id from the people selling it.

wab1234
06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
we've had a rash of them too.stealing copper from the irrigation pumps.they have to be repaired or they don't irrigate.they are also stealing copper wire.they have a law that requires recycle yards to get a drivers license id from the people selling it.

The id is fine but nothing is marked as to who brings in what. Tomorrow no one knows who brought it. It keeps honest people honest nothing more. The other big thing is catalytic converters one dealership had 11 gone in a night, battery operated tools make crime too easy for thieves.

DanaMac
06-27-2008, 07:32 AM
So what kind of security cage would you guys recommend? I would rather not pour a slab around the PVB for it to be secured in that way. I have seen others with other was of securing them but it could still be dug out if the crack heads wanted to. Any suggestions?

Kiril
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM
So what kind of security cage would you guys recommend? I would rather not pour a slab around the PVB for it to be secured in that way. I have seen others with other was of securing them but it could still be dug out if the crack heads wanted to. Any suggestions?

Remember Purp?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=216231&highlight=cage

DanaMac
06-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Remember Purp?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=216231&highlight=cage

Purp who? :) Yes I remember that thread and I have a couple systems with cages like that already. But it's a small 3/4" PVB and the concrete slab and that large of a cage all seem overkill. One supplier has another system that I will try and find online or at there store and post later.

Kiril
06-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Paint it gray to make it look like SCH80. :laugh: