PDA

View Full Version : Any help appreciated. Newbie with questions.

Wideopen
06-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey guys. This is actually my first post on the site. Very glad I found this site, tons of information floating around! Im going to tell you about my opperation and what I am planning on doing, please advise.

First of all, I am a sophmore in college at University of Central Arkansas, marketing and spanish, and I have been in business for 35 days. For my first month I was able to do about 3200 gross sales with about 85 % of that being repeat business.

I have a 16 ft trailer with the trimmer racks, utility racks, box up front, etc.. 44 in Bush Hog ZTR, 21 Toro, 2 sthil trimmers, sthil backpack blower, echo edger, trimmer, hedge trimmer, all msc hand tools. I have spent around $1500 this month aquiring some of my equipment. However the ZTR and trimmers are my fathers. ( But basicly mine, you dads know how it is) I am considering purchasing a 36 Exmark Metro WB. The Metro is only 1 yr old and comes complete with the bagging system and sulky. He is asking 2000.

The reason that I would like to get a WB is for the residential properties that need to be bagged as well the commercial properties I have. I am very tired of push mowing what yards need to be bagged and I hate having to empty out the grass catch so often per mow. I will use this mower on about 35-40 percent of my jobs. Is it worth having? Will it make the money back in speed, quality and less down time emptying the grass catch?

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Jake Arey.
Premium Lawn Care

RossP
06-24-2008, 05:16 PM
A 36 would make a huge difference. If you have the money and you know you're going to grow and expand then it is worth it.

Wideopen
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah I feel like im going to grow quite a bit. I am in need of the mower as of right now and I believe that that need will only get worse very soon. Anyone have any suggestions about the mower? My 44 ZTR is side discharge and I am considering getting the mulching kit, what are the advantages and disadvantages of mulching? Will it bog the mower down in cases where it is overgrown?

Thank you for any help.
Jake Arey

MitchDaniel
06-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Mulching is better for the grass and looks better too. If the grass is tall, you just have to go slower, and may have to doublecut (one disadvantage of mulching). Another advantage of mulching is that you are less likely to throw a rock or debris at windows or bystanders!

KGR landscapeing
06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Mulching is better for the grass and looks better too. If the grass is tall, you just have to go slower, and may have to doublecut (one disadvantage of mulching). Another advantage of mulching is that you are less likely to throw a rock or debris at windows or bystanders!

normally the rocks that break windows come from the timmer or from under the deck not the outside. just something i have seen Get the walkbehind

Wideopen
06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you guys! Any other suggestions?

JNyz
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Try to pick it up a little bit, 3200 is just a little over 150 a day.

Wideopen
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Im trying. For my first month, I thought that 3200 was a decent month. Im not looking for this to be my career, only a money maker for a year or two. When I finish college I may stick with it, but not for my main source of income. What is a common 1st months total sales? Anyone?