PDA

View Full Version : Two zones running at once

irritation
06-24-2008, 08:43 PM
New account... zones 4 and 6 are running at the same time... controller checks out good... valve box wiring is good. Somewhere along about a 300' foot run of 18-7 multistrand the yellow and green wires are touching. I used my locator to trace the wires and dug up a few places where I thought they may have been nicked... no luck.
Whats the easiest way to find the nick?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
New account... zones 4 and 6 are running at the same time... controller checks out good... valve box wiring is good. Somewhere along about a 300' foot run of 18-7 multistrand the yellow and green wires are touching. I used my locator to trace the wires and dug up a few places where I thought they may have been nicked... no luck.

Yiii those are always toughies. If the wire is exposed a fault finder may do it. Progressive 901

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 09:19 PM
You did do resistance measurements to confirm the wires are touching?

irritation
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
You did do resistance measurements to confirm the wires are touching?
Yes, there is no doubt about it.

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder what would happen if you disconnected the solenoids, and the zone wires from the controller, and did a trace, with the signal connected to the 4 wire, and the 6 wire being grounded. Might you get a null along the shorted run of cable, and a clear signal after you pass the short?

Shawn Perkins
06-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Doubler should work great

irritation
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Doubler should work great

Thanks, but no thanks.

duwaprod
06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
One of our Irrigander irrigation expanders would solve the problem if you simply can't find the short circuit. We have had many customers use an Irrigander expander to bypass a broken wire in a cable. The Irrigander expanders allow direct control of each valve so they do not have the limitations of the Doubler.

--Don

londonrain
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Progressive 2003 Pulser Ground Fault Locator

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Progressive 2003 Pulser Ground Fault LocatorWell, yeah, and any other number of similar rigs, but I wonder what the trace I suggested would reveal.

londonrain
06-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, yeah, and any other number of similar rigs, but I wonder what the trace I suggested would reveal.It would reveal the wire path of both the #4 and #6, since they are touching....by using the #6 as a ground would make no difference.... I have done what you suggested on a cut wire, I used the common as the trace and the cut wire as the ground...

Wet_Boots
06-24-2008, 11:15 PM
And your two wires were touching at some unknown point in the field?

londonrain
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
And your two wires were touching at some unknown point in the field?no only the field wire was cut and the common was good....

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Here was a doozy Henry nailed yesterday with the fault finder. Under a drainline. They twisted the cut wires together and buried with no caps on.

WalkGood
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Would it have helped, if where you dug up the wires you cut the wires in question and then run a new trace in both directions to find the original short?

Just thinking out loud....:dizzy: