PDA

View Full Version : Is lawn mowing considered a........

Lawn Neophyte
06-24-2008, 09:05 PM
customer service job?

Also, would they be considered independant contractors?

MowHouston
06-24-2008, 09:32 PM
It is the service industry. I dont think customer service.

You would be considered an independent contractor if you just use your name as the service provider. Once you get your DBA and start using a business name, you would be a sole proprietor of your business, that is of course unless you form an LLC or corporation.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure this is how it is.

Lawn Neophyte
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
It is the service industry. I dont think customer service.

You would be considered an independent contractor if you just use your name as the service provider. Once you get your DBA and start using a business name, you would be a sole proprietor of your business, that is of course unless you form an LLC or corporation.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure this is how it is.

Thanx. BTW what is a DBA? Isn't customer service a part of the service industry.

EMJ
06-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanx. BTW what is a DBA? Isn't customer service a part of the service industry.

Doing Business As I think that is right.

MowHouston
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM

Yes it is "Doing Business As". You must file paperwork with your county and sometimes state to legalize this, probably should get a tax id as well with the IRS. I just used legalzoom.com to do it.

I think customer service is a part of the service industry but the lawn industry is probably more something like home and garden services, or household services. I think of customer service as the area in Walmart where you complain/take stuff back, or the number you call to resolve an issue with your phone bill. I see Indians on the other end of the phone when I call Sprint for customer service.

So, with your lawn company, if someone was pissed about how your worker scalped their lawn on this small hill, they may call customer service to bring it to your attention. Just how I see it.

HandyHomeMedic
06-25-2008, 01:46 AM
While you may not label lawn service "customer service," we are directly in the business of servicing customers.

Customer service, though the Wal-Mart greeter comes to mind, applies to every type of business where humans are involved. I work as a Paramedic / Firefighter and customer service enters there too. I may lock the patient's house before we leave for the hospital, or get the family member a chair at the patient's bedside, a glass of water or simply answer their questions before the doctors evaluate them.

In the fire service, if we're not assigned to an attack line or to the roof or something, we may bring in salvage tarps to the structure and get all their furniture, pictures off walls, etc... gathered up in the center of a room and cover them to avoid unnecessary damage during the fire fight.

As an LCO, if I see my customer's mailbox full or a newspaper in the driveway, or garbage cans on the sidewalk, I make it my point to bring those things in. If I notice a hazard like a broken basement window, unsecured door etc..., I'll bring it to their attention.

Customer service applies everywhere as long as you don't try to create a rigid definition. I hope this reply helps.