PDA

View Full Version : Long Day

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Cut 16 and then 30 yds of mulch:hammerhead::hammerhead: Too tired to match before and after. Just a few to show you how there was not much mulch in the beds. Sorry for the edges but their cut day is Thursday. We'll gettem tight then:)

Supper Grassy
06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
As Always Nice Work

P.Services
06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
have you ever looked into a bark blower? you seem to do alot of mulch

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Couple more

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-24-2008, 11:29 PM
have you ever looked into a bark blower? you seem to do alot of mulch

No! We are at 2783 yds to date this season. We need to do a lot more than that to be able to graduate from wheelbarrows. If you have the hired help that want to work, it ain't bad. We have that!!!!:)

Az Gardener
06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
That is such a relaxing look compared to most of what we have here. I am trying to do more of that look and get away from concrete/brick borders and granite that is the norm here.

My question is for maintenance how do you deal with the edges? Do you just edge and do your best to hang a mower deck an inch or two over the edge or do you weed eat the edge?

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-24-2008, 11:42 PM
That is such a relaxing look compared to most of what we have here. I am trying to do more of that look and get away from concrete/brick borders and granite that is the norm here.

My question is for maintenance how do you deal with the edges? Do you just edge and do your best to hang a mower deck an inch or two over the edge or do you weed eat the edge?

We weed eat the bed edges and it want be fun the 1st trip after mulch. Mulch everywhere!! Not bad the next time. This grass is Emerald zoysia, we reel mow one week next week Walker. Hang the Walker over the edge.

Az Gardener
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
While I'm on the subject... Do you remove the old mulch before putting down new? How often do you freshen up the mulch? Those zinnias looked very close to the edge, do you have one guy hold plant material up while edging then lay it back down? Tell me mulch master I must know!

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
While I'm on the subject... Do you remove the old mulch before putting down new? How often do you freshen up the mulch? Those zinnias looked very close to the edge, do you have one guy hold plant material up while edging then lay it back down? Tell me mulch master I must know!

No, the mulch here was slam wore out, bout dirt. Weeds were killin us. We normally do mulch every year but this one was a year and a half. Them flowers are goin crazy, they get edged with the grass:)
We do have a landscape job to do that the mulch is like a foot thick and we will Bobcat it but everything is goin shrubs, grass, Total startover. Then you will see some killer before and afters:cool2:

ilc79
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I know this is off subject but have you tried the navigaor i had walkers for 15 years this year i bought a navigator and i was a walker person all the way said i wouldnt have a navi. but i demoed one the steering is a little diffrent but it seems to have twice as much power as my walker and now you cant give me a walker it sucks up soaken wet bermuda grass and never clogs up it is unbeleiveable just think you should try one i still have my 26efi walker but i dont use it very often no more i use to have to do all my bermuda yards after 12oclock but not with the navigator.

lawnboyscsra
06-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Whats a yard that size take you to cut, edge, trim, & so on? Great work as always.

Az Gardener
06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the education I have always wondered about that type of landscape, beautiful work.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I know this is off subject but have you tried the navigaor i had walkers for 15 years this year i bought a navigator and i was a walker person all the way said i wouldnt have a navi. but i demoed one the steering is a little diffrent but it seems to have twice as much power as my walker and now you cant give me a walker it sucks up soaken wet bermuda grass and never clogs up it is unbeleiveable just think you should try one i still have my 26efi walker but i dont use it very often no more i use to have to do all my bermuda yards after 12oclock but not with the navigator.

Yea! I demoed one and I don't like ridin a H2 Hummer on my yards. It cut fine but everything was bass acwardes from a Walker. Not all that bad for a copycat. Walker bigger blower improved the early morn bermuda cuttin. How bout a deal since you don't use that Walker:usflag:

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Whats a yard that size take you to cut, edge, trim, & so on? Great work as always.

20 min- 1 cuttin- 1 edging - 1- curbs and blowin

J&R Landscaping
06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Nice pictures as usual!

KS_Grasscutter
06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Are ALL your properties as nice as the ones you always post? I would give my left nut for like 5 of those super-nice ones, and here that seems to be your entire customer base lol. I guess in a few years I might be to that point...

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Are ALL your properties as nice as the ones you always post? I would give my left nut for like 5 of those super-nice ones, and here that seems to be your entire customer base lol. I guess in a few years I might be to that point...

Pretty much! Lot of pressure comes them:hammerhead:

A-Land
06-25-2008, 12:38 AM
How do you get such a nice edge prior to mulching? That edge is perfect! That can't be done with just a steel blade edger or a shovel.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-25-2008, 12:51 AM
How do you get such a nice edge prior to mulching? That edge is perfect! That can't be done with just a steel blade edger or a shovel.

Josh, It stays that way by edging with a weedeater every week. Persistence:laugh:

A-Land
06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Josh, It stays that way by edging with a weedeater every week. Persistence:laugh:

Wow no $h*t that takes persistence..... thats amazing you keep it that nice and never scalp it or anything. How do you cut in new beds then?

Are you dumping the mulch from the wheelbarrows and raking it or throwing it by hand?

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Wow no $h*t that takes persistence..... thats amazing you keep it that nice and never scalp it or anything. How do you cut in new beds then?

Are you dumping the mulch from the wheelbarrows and raking it or throwing it by hand?

New beds we use a bedscaper to dig the trench, then keep it clean with a weedeater. My boys just take the grass that's hangin over the trench every week. Some guys here do that and get dirt, the beds get larger, bigger beds means more mulch and customers hate that. We dump the wb's in small piles and rake it out. My crew is AWESOME!:) These customers have grown used to this service so mailbox flyers get laughed at.

LawnPro19
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
having the right guys in place who are happy to come to work makes all the difference in the world... you guys do first class work!! great job!

TomberLawn
06-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Is that double-hammered hardwood? We had that around our house for a while, but it faded to an ugly gray really quickly and got really hard-packed from rain. It also washed out really bad where we don't have gutters on part of the house. I like the look of the dark, fine mulch, but it just didn't last for us. We put some pine needles on top of the faded mulch this spring, and they stay in place when it rains too. Is this some other type of mulch that looks good about all year?

02DURAMAX
06-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Looks Great Like always!!!

snap12.5
06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Sweet work! In the 2nd pic, is that a dry creek bed on the far left? Do u happen to have any closeups of it? Looks like it was well designed...did u install?

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Is that double-hammered hardwood? We had that around our house for a while, but it faded to an ugly gray really quickly and got really hard-packed from rain. It also washed out really bad where we don't have gutters on part of the house. I like the look of the dark, fine mulch, but it just didn't last for us. We put some pine needles on top of the faded mulch this spring, and they stay in place when it rains too. Is this some other type of mulch that looks good about all year?

This is dhh but dyed brown. This stuff holds it color about 10 months. If you do the yard next door in about 3 months you will tell the difference but the fade time is very slow. Must be cured by the sun like 6 hrs before it gets wet. If not you will be disappointed. We put it out in a light mist one day and learned the hard way. Had to go back and top coat it:cry: Looked like the stuff you speak of:laugh:
Here's a couple pics from today after it was cleaned up.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Remember when you look at this Zoysia it was just Verticut like 3 wks ago.:)

bbailey
06-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Your work is incredible to say the least!!! Are the raised beds that you do all mulch or just a coating on top of the soil? Again your work is awesome, thanks for the picks!

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Your work is incredible to say the least!!! Are the raised beds that you do all mulch or just a coating on top of the soil? Again your work is awesome, thanks for the picks!

Nah, about 2" is mulch. Rest is dirt!

kleankutslawn
06-26-2008, 11:50 PM
as always nice quality work

deere615
06-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Very nice work as always!

A-Land
06-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Remember when you look at this Zoysia it was just Verticut like 3 wks ago.:)

Right! Because that looks terrible!! :laugh::laugh:

Whatever you show in the middle of renovation is better than 90% of my lawns