PDA

View Full Version : These photos any good

JimLewis
06-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Just a few photos I took this evening in my front yard with my cheap NON-SLR digital camera.

Do you think any of these turned out well enough to use for website or promotional use?

AI Inc
06-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Jim if I was you I would retake stepping back a few more feet. Keep in mind that a personal opinion , not a professional one.

steveparrott
06-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Jim, considering that you're using a point-and-shoot camera, it's a good start. I like the way you framed the flag shot and the pathway shot. The others, as AI said, would be better widening your frame a bit. You also have problems with soft focus in a couple and overexposure in the first. Unfortunately, I wouldn't say these photos are worthy of the work you do and will misrepresent it to your prospective clients.

What's obvious is that you did a great job lighting your property, really first class. You do yourself (and your business) an injustice by trying to capture your work with a cheap camera. Your target clients are high-end homeowners that will judge your work by your website photos. I suggest you invest in a good digital camera (at minimum, the canon rebel series or the like) and sturdy tripod. Then take a course in how to use it (most likely offered at your local camera store).

Pro-Scapes
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I agree with steve. Also try taking them a bit earlier. Im terrible with my camera and my wife takes the photos but I have seen great lighting photos and in all of them you can see the sky.

Great work tho just a bit misrepresented there. I think your work is much better than the photos.

pihta
06-25-2008, 11:20 AM
And... dont use flash.

BZACK
06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Since my first career was Professional Photography, I would like to echo the thoughts of the previous posters with respect to improving the technical quality of your photos. A sturdy tripod is a must since you will need to use a relatively small aperture for best depth of field which will also require longer exposure times.

Many of the best outdoor lighting photos contain a blend of ambient and artificial (landscape) light which requires making the exposures well before 'night' actually sets in, i.e., while the sky is still light enough to provide separation between it and the landscape and to provide just enough detail in the unlit areas of the landscape or structure. Looking at properly exposed night shots, it is easy to fall into the trap of waithing until the scene looks like the pictures you see.....by then, the opportunity is lost.

Bill

cgaengineer
06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Does your camera have a manual mode? Even cheap cameras come with manual modes now. If so thats what you need to use.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2008, 07:07 PM
It is interesting to note that George Gruel, a very good photographer of outdoor lighting and night landscapes (perhaps the best in the biz?) adamantly supports the practice of waiting until it is fully dark to shoot. Most like to take their shots when there is still some blue in the sky... I have always found that to be a bit like cheating.

I think the big difference comes in the illumination levels that are on a fully lit property vs. an avg. lit property. On most sites, you need the extra bit of ambient light that the blue sky provides to achieve a good shot. On a fully lit property, the lighting alone is enough to provide a great shot.

http://www.oddstick.com/

Chris J
06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Let's see some of these shots you speak of James. Are you not a self proclaimed photographer with at least better than average skills? I saw George's work right along with you at conference, but I assume that what he does takes quite a bit of professional knowledge and years of experience. Not to mention a $30,000 camera. We haven't had the pleasure of seeing any of your recent work; why?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Nor have we seen any of yours Chris.

Working 18-20 hours a day tends to put a crimp on my ability or desire to go out and shoot pictures. The camera is in the truck but I have been too dead tired, and overwhelmed with deadline based installs to get out there just yet.

Photos are coming... it is just a matter of time. A nice problem to have when you think about it.

Chris J
06-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't, and have never proclaimed to know how to shoot quality pics. I don't even own a camera other than my phone cam. The old pics I do have were the work of a pro who charges me quite a bit of money for each shoot, thus the reason for no pics from me. Believe me, if I were to brag about photography, or the quality of my work, or how unbelievably in demand I am, I would certainly post the pics to prove it.
You, on the other hand, are quite the accomplished everything! You have been a member on this site for quite some time, yet I don't recall seeing anything of your work. Maybe I missed it. Who knows.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 12:32 AM
IYou, on the other hand, are quite the accomplished everything!

Why thank you Chris, I appreciate the compliment! :)

Chris J
06-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Working 18-20 hours a day tends to put a crimp on my ability or desire to go out and shoot pictures. .

:laugh:You have to get a laugh out of that comment! :laugh:
1515 posts (that's one thousand five hundred fifteen!) since June of last year, and you don't have time to take a picture? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Sizzle man, REMARKABLE SIZZLE!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Chris you are one unbelievably negative dude. Seriously. Don't for a minute think that a posting here while I work on quotes, books, billing, procurement, etc takes nearly the same amount of time and effort as a planned night-time shoot. Not to mention the fact that all of my clients are a 1 hour drive away from my home. As for posting volumes.. you neglected to state that about 1200 of my posts were from December to March, when we were under 10' of snow here.

Try to see the bright side of life once in a while buddy... who knows your prospects might even notice the difference and buy something from you! :)

Chris J
06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Oh, make no mistake about it; I'm on the bright side. I'm just pointing out facts, and it seems that the truth hurts, eh?

zemzabob
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Since my first career was Professional Photography, I would like to echo the thoughts of the previous posters with respect to improving the technical quality of your photos. A sturdy tripod is a must since you will need to use a relatively small aperture for best depth of field which will also require longer exposure times.

Many of the best outdoor lighting photos contain a blend of ambient and artificial (landscape) light which requires making the exposures well before 'night' actually sets in, i.e., while the sky is still light enough to provide separation between it and the landscape and to provide just enough detail in the unlit areas of the landscape or structure. Looking at properly exposed night shots, it is easy to fall into the trap of waithing until the scene looks like the pictures you see.....by then, the opportunity is lost.

Bill

Some good advice there all of the pics posted are over or under exposed.