PDA

View Full Version : Stump grinding as a niche service . . . ?

Exact Rototilling
06-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Stump grinding as a niche service . . . ?

My business model is basically a major in the Spring and Fall services: aeration, Rototilling, lawn dethatching and over seeding - all my equipment is WB. I have few mowings on regular basis but I was looking for something to help the cash flow until the Fall.

Is stump grinding a good area to get into . . . or is this really more of an arborist specialty.

:waving:

Charles
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I have seen a few tree services sub out their stump grinding. Not much money in stump grinding compared to the tree work.

larryinalabama
06-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I think its a good idea. I plan on getting a stump grinder at some point in time, for now I can buy a stump grinding rotor for my Brown bed edger.
The more services you offer makes you the GO TO GUY, that saves big on advertising

mdvaden
06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
If you do it, you'll want to own a machine, not rent one.

Sounds like an odd combination to do with a lawn business.

You might consider why a lot of tree companies sub the work out.

Sure the climbing might make more, but if the stump grinding is profitable, why not hire an extra guy to do that aspect?

Consider that it may be inconsistent - maybe even a distraction from other services.

You also have to take time to call in utility line locating, plus the wait time.

topsites
06-27-2008, 01:48 AM
It might feel a bit odd but I used to know a guy that's all he did, little 5x8 trailer and a walk-along grinder lol.

The worst of it is carving out that niche, something I might consider myself thou.
Agreed you definitely want to buy one, not rent.
Also one of the first things you'll want to do is hunt down a place to get parts, specifically teeth and maybe belts.
Probably arboristsite might be a good place to ask around about that, because the teeth will wear and they're not cheap.

You never know, some folks start out just grinding end up into tree work, thou at that point it diversifies their business.

Exact Rototilling
06-27-2008, 02:02 AM
If you do it, you'll want to own a machine, not rent one.

Sounds like an odd combination to do with a lawn business.

You might consider why a lot of tree companies sub the work out.

Sure the climbing might make more, but if the stump grinding is profitable, why not hire an extra guy to do that aspect?

Consider that it may be inconsistent - maybe even a distraction from other services.

You also have to take time to call in utility line locating, plus the wait time.

This last spring I had all the work I could handle being solo. 10-12 hour days 6 - 7 days a week. I'm thinking I will put stump grinding on the back burner for now. But I think I just stumbled upon another service that might take over where garden rototiling left off. Beach sand tilling . . .

We have lots of lake front homes here and I just did a 5,000 foot beach tilling today. Many beaches don't have perfect sand they just need some tiling to break up the clumps. Also beach clean up and raking to go along with that. Time will tell.

Basically I'm looking for a specialty niche service that will carry the lag from mid June into Fall aeration season.

Mowing market is all about price $20 to $25 per cut for average lots. Sorry I refuse to play in that pool.