PDA

View Full Version : New Lcos

lawncare
01-07-2002, 09:33 AM
If you get out early in the summer like me when you see the advertisments for lawn service on 1 of your regular's mailbox do you throw them away Like me. Or do u leave there.

65hoss
01-07-2002, 09:45 AM
On one of my customers?? YES. I consider it picking up the trash.

walker-talker
01-07-2002, 09:47 AM
I never noticed any, but if I did, I would leave them there. It is not my property and really none of my business. Call me crazy, but I invite competition. Competition drives people beyond their own expectations. Drives a person to become more knowledgeable, resourceful and just more professional. Also, if it's not yours, don't touch it.

MATT

Russ
01-07-2002, 10:24 AM
I do pick it up. I consider it my business. If the flyer is on a property I am servicing, I feel I have an obligation to my business and the people who depend on me and my business to maintain my customers base. I also save the flyer and add it to a yearly collection to see what the guys are offering and what theyre doing right in their flyers. I must assume the guy who put the flyer out did not know it was being commercialy maintained. I would think it persumptive, vein, rude, and a down right adverserial act to solicit without inventation.

KirbysLawn
01-07-2002, 11:54 AM
The mailbox is not your property so I do as you, do not touch. I did have a LCO leave a flyer in the paperbox while I was in the front mowing, I called and expressed my feelings on him doing this.

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-07-2002, 02:18 PM
If the yard sucks or the client is a pain in the a$$ I won't touch the flyers. Interesting flyer I saw was 2 college students eager to work etc.... What happens when they graduate??? I once come home to find a flyer in my own mailbox!!! I couldn't blame them for sticking one in my box since I mow my own yard every 6 weeks whether it needs it or not and my yard was a week overdue

LAWNS AND MOWER

fivestarlawnken
01-07-2002, 02:41 PM
How would a LCO have the guts to solicit while mowing the front.WOW I never have had a situation like this. I did have a truck with two push mowers circle a property while I was there.I think they did get the lady.She called two days later and let me go.It was alright with me,she had trugreen/chemlawn every month and it grew!!Her son tried telling me how to mow,what height etc. The thing is they wanted it mowed every 10 days (yeah right):angry:

gogetter
01-07-2002, 10:48 PM
I would leave it there! It's not my mailbox and I have ZERO right to touch something left on it by someone else.
That's out of line.

As far as someone leaving a flier on a house/mailbox while you're there servicing the lawn, keep in mind that there are services out there that put out fliers for companies. The person placing the flier may just be working for one of these services and isn't even reading the fliers they're handing out. Just something to think about.

Randy Scott
01-07-2002, 11:38 PM
Alot of issues I think with some here. Seems like some scrub actions throwing others fliers away. How would you like it?

ohiolawnguy
01-07-2002, 11:45 PM
if it is in the mailbox, i say leave it there!!! the post office will most definitely call them about that.it is illegal to put anything besides the mail postal carrier delivers into a mailbox.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-08-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss
On one of my customers?? YES. I consider it picking up the trash.

Oh yes I agree.

Originally posted by KirbysLawn
The mailbox is not your property so I do as you, do not touch.

And it's not the ones who put the fliers there either.

Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I did have a LCO leave a flyer in the paperbox while I was in the front mowing, I called and expressed my feelings on him doing this.

I love to put fliers there while other LCO's are servicing.

Originally posted by ohiolawnguy
it is illegal to put anything besides the mail postal carrier delivers into a mailbox.

IN, ON, or AROUND. in all 50 states. But I do it anyways.

Originally posted by Randy Scott
Alot of issues I think with some here. Seems like some scrub actions throwing others fliers away. How would you like it?

I know it must happen to me. So why not do it. I wouldn't assosiate that as being a scrub. I call it business.

Hodge
02-02-2002, 01:36 AM
Eventhough this is "your yard" they do have a right to place out their flyers... we all start somewhere....

Now that not saying they would remain there for "my customer to see"
:angry:

scagman
02-02-2002, 02:35 AM
I take em for two reasons, so I can look at them for kicks and I dont want my customers calling them because they can beat anyones prices.

skyphoto
02-02-2002, 02:47 AM
Leave em.....
Why? Taking that flyer is like saying if I get rid of all the booz in my house our kids will not ever think about drinking........If the customer is happy they will not go through the hassle of calling anyone else......If they do they then they also have a phone book! Do you guys throw away those too? hehehe
:)
PEACE!

longslawn
02-02-2002, 08:27 AM
I agree with skyphoto. Leave them. If you have built a solid relationship with the customer the won't be interested in changing. If the call they most likely were going to change anyway. I found that most customers in lawn service want a service that they can depend on, does good work, calls back when they call and will pay better for this type service. If all they want is a cheap price let them shop!

skyphoto
02-03-2002, 05:01 AM
I think Im gonna call the postal police on Lawngodfather!:D

Downeast
02-03-2002, 06:40 AM
I have never seen or heard of fliers being passed out around here. I think it is considered tacky in these parts . People would consider that as unprofessional . But a mass mailing would be ok. In a nice glossy brochure would be a bonus . If by chance there was one on my job, I would leave it . Hidding it from customers would demonstrate fear ,and fear is not good for the soul.

HOMER
02-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Get the Bic out and burn it right on the box! I never touched it.

That's happened to me once but it was a house I was maintaining until it sold, noone lived there. I did trash it cause it would never have been looked at anyway.

I don't do fliers, I target and mail a letter.

yergus
02-03-2002, 10:33 AM
if its in the mailbox, without going through the post office, or if it is put on the mailbox (anywhere on the box or post) it is a federal offense, if you doubt me, call your local post office.

Hodge
02-03-2002, 10:52 AM
When did the mailbox become the property of the U.S. Postal Service. The home owner purchased the box or built it, so then it is the property of the home owner and placing a flyer on the box is no different than having the "mailman" place your mail inside of it?????

65hoss
02-03-2002, 11:34 AM
I have a customer that is a post master and so is his wife. Below is a link to a thread I started before on the mailbox subject.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=14438&highlight=mailbox

LAWNGODFATHER
02-03-2002, 12:19 PM
When was the last time you looked at a mail box.

It says it meet federal postal guide lines or regulations.

The reason it is a federal offence is because you are considered tampering with the mail if you touch the mail inside. ie: federal gov is the post office.

Cunsumer buys mail box, but once in use it's a federal item.

big james
02-03-2002, 04:08 PM
I call them up and have them come and bid my lawn ,this gives me an inside edge on what they are all about then depending on how I feel I ask them to leave nicely and show them their flyer and tell them to stay off MY TURF or they will get a GHETTO ASS WHOOPING .:D :angry: :blob2:

MikeLT1Z28
02-03-2002, 04:24 PM
not only is it illegal to put anything or anyone's mail box (flag, door, inside or on the box) i wouldn't want to be caught touching anyone's mailbox with all of the terrorism going on. no telling what charges they'd slap on you.

i was there when 65hoss and the postmaster had the conversation, I had no idea prior to that.

big james
02-03-2002, 04:43 PM
I leave a bill in 90% of my customers mailboxes, I have even had mailmen put them there for me when I forgot ,I park in front of mailboxes all the time and I go out of my way to run grab my customers mail when i see that little white truck coming ,I must be in violation of all kinds of federal law but the funny thing is no postman or customer has ever even made the slightest comment about it? huh ,must be that small town mentality that keeps me out of the federal pen! I';ll put a flyer in a mailbox in a heartbeat and I'll chunk a competitors in the trash just as quick ,yea I welcome competition, no better form of it than a face to face pow-wow with a scrub as you guys call them or some slicker in his chino's and italian shoes .Don't make me a damn ,just another day -just another hard dollar ,DAWG:D

LAWNGODFATHER
02-03-2002, 05:03 PM
This is probaly one of the least inforced laws around (at least before 9-11)

Kind of like do you speed?

I like James idea, I used to do similar but, they got smarter on me with the truck parked in the drive.

It all boils down to the individual postal person.

I leave bids in mail boxes, per customer request.

skyphoto
02-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Heck a couple years ago I had an invoice for a customer that was ready to be mailed but forgot about it because I had no postage so the next day I was driving on that side of town & decided to just throw it in their mailbox......Well 2 days later it appears in my mailbox with a big fat RETURN to sender postage due.........The mail person had taken it out and sent it back!!!! Talk about dumb!:mad: