PDA

View Full Version : Getting started - A work in progress

Jinks
06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
My name is Raymond from Columbus, GA and I recently came back from Iraq with the National Guard. When it came time to go back to work at the police dept I decided that I was done carrying a weapon and wearing a vest to work everyday.

I have worked for a friend in the past in his lawn care business and really enjoyed the work. But we all know that as a laborer there is not a large amount of cash. My friend is pretty successful in this area (nearly 200k/year) and is full of great knowledge. He has agree to let me bend his ear on getting started.

I live in an apartment so I will be getting a storage unit for a year. We are buying a house next year. After talking to the business liscense people here they said I have to get a letter from the landlord to do paperwork at home, go to the code enforcement and get a letter from them (30$) and then I can get a business liscense (50$).

I will get some basic (not poor quality) gear: push mower, trimmer, blower, etc... and begin going door to door from the back of my truck. There are alot of good neighborhoods in my area and my buddy even said he will sub some stuff to me to help get me started.

My 1st goal is 15 accounts (40$ min) to match my current income and then 20 stable accounts will allow me to be LCO full time. Ultimate goal is 50 accounts for next year. I'll keep everyone posted.

Patriot Services
06-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Hooahh Troop! Retired MSGT (91W) here. I live in a deed restricted community that doesn't allow home business either. I got around it by using a po box at "Mailboxes Etc. The physical address satisfied the license people. Plus you can still write off the home office portion on your taxes if it meets the IRS requirements. the IRS doe snot care if you live in an apt. as long as it meets the square foot and exclusive use requirement. :usflag::usflag::usflag:

JFF
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
First of all, welcome home and thanks for putting your life on hold while you protected all of us.

And good luck in your new endeavors. New yards being installed around here every day. I am sure it is true in your neck of the woods, too. Someone will have to take care of them.

stevenf
06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I would talk to you friend about equipment. Mabey he was looking to upgrade a WB mower soon??? You might be able to pull a good deal out of him.

Jinks
06-25-2008, 09:59 PM
My buddy does have a push mower he is selling. A non-commercial Toro for $150. It is nearly new and will last long enough to get a good one in a few months. Also, from working with him, he taught me about what good quality means to customers. And we know concrete, deck people for additional upsales and I have done pressure washing and more than I care to remember of pinestraw. I can't wait to get stared.