PDA

View Full Version : Weed Eater or Edger

Green Acres
01-18-2000, 04:27 PM
I have heard of some people using weed eaters to do the edging around sidewalks and drives. I have also heard the same about edgers. What I was wondering which one do you like better? Which one does a better job? I'm just starting out so I'm kinda on a budget. I can afford an edger but if most people feel I don't need one than I'm sure I could find something else to spend that money on. Also has anyone had any experiance with a Stihl edger? Thanks

Lazer
01-18-2000, 04:33 PM
You need an edger. You can edge with a string trimmer with an edgit* attachment, but they're kinda clumsy (my opinion) We bought a few in 1997 but took them off. You can also edge with a trimmer after the edge has been established. This actually leaves a much cleaner anb sharper edge, but takes a certain skill and is pretty slow.<p>You need an steel-blade edger. Perhaps consider getting a split-boom to save on budget. You can't go wrong with Stihl, though, they make really good products.

Green Acres
01-18-2000, 04:57 PM
Lazer what is this split broom you are talking about?

Lazer
01-18-2000, 05:13 PM
There's some talk down farther on this board that's worth looking at, but...<p>A lot of companies are building trimmers with a coupling in the middle allowing for other attchments to be used. Some options include: edger, hedge trimmer, broom, cultivator, pruning saw, etc.<p>I like 'em.

jds1469
05-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I just purchased one by Troybuilt and the trimmer was about $275 and they have atatchments for edging, pruning and cleanup. The engine is IMO a little underpowered for the edger but it does the trick. Im really thinking of taking it back because now that iv used it if i keep it trimmed i really shouldnt need it anymore.

so really just rent one.

yungman
05-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I thought this is the PAS system in Echo, Kombi tool in Stihl and everyone else have something like this!!!!!

magbarn
05-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Holy Thread Revival Batman! I'd take that POS back anyway as for $275 you could get either an Echo PAS-230 which already is a superior powerhead for a superior system or even better a PAS-260 for $300. Stihl's Km90R os also a good powerhead for that price

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-06-2008, 01:56 AM
This is what I do. I have a McClain walk behind edger. I use that if they grass is overgrown onto the sidewalks. Its just near impossible to get a good sharp edge when the grass is overgrown and you use string, plus you just tear up the string and not get anywheres but gettin good at loading string. Anyways, I suggest, you get yourself a good walk beind edger just for establishing an edge. I suggest a commercial McClain. Then pratice with using the weed eater to do the edging cause it does take a lil while to get a good edge with it and be able to do it in a timly fashion. Using the weed eater is much faster cause thats one less piece of equipment that you have to spend time starting and going back to the trailer/truck. You can go from trimming to edging and then to mowing. And i think it looks better. Some people argue that using the string only damages the yard, but thats ALL I use to edge. To make a long story short, you need to get both, bottom line.

yungman
05-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Holy Thread Revival Batman! I'd take that POS back anyway as for $275 you could get either an Echo PAS-230 which already is a superior powerhead for a superior system or even better a PAS-260 for $300. Stihl's Km90R os also a good powerhead for that price

You didn't know all these??!!! Get the bigger engine!!! Just want to make sure you know that only Husqvarna and Shindaiwa have the short reach articulate hedge clipper attachment. Only Echo have dethatcher attachment. Find out more info before you rush out to buy one. I myself want a short reach hedge clipper more than anything else. They are not cheap but I would go with the commercial stuff rather than Troy Bilt.

I believe Husqvarna power head come standard with trimmer attachment. I don't think the others comes with it, you have to buy it.

Trenchblade
05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Please do not use a string trimmer to edge your beds. That is something that a jr. scaper would do. In the area we work it is totally unacceptable to edge with a string trimmer. It makes too big of a edge and opens the edge up for weeds to grow. It is dangerous to the operator and has the potential to leek gas onto your turf. String trimmers were not meant to be ran upside down. When I am walking a property inspection I can tell if my guys are edging with a string trimmer and I have to reprimand them tell them to stop being lazy and do the job right.

ed2hess
05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Been in this business for 30 years and edged thousands on thousand of yards and never needed an edger and never never had a customer say boy that sure is a bad edge. If you don't have the money don't get it, We got two new guys that never worked in lawn business before March and they are making bullet straight edgers.

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Been in this business for 30 years and edged thousands on thousand of yards and never needed an edger and never never had a customer say boy that sure is a bad edge. If you don't have the money don't get it, We got two new guys that never worked in lawn business before March and they are making bullet straight edgers.

Yep, I agree, only time you need an edger is to establish an edge when the grass to overgrown to much.

huskres
05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
I just purchased one by Troybuilt and the trimmer was about $275 and they have atatchments for edging, pruning and cleanup. The engine is IMO a little underpowered for the edger but it does the trick. Im really thinking of taking it back because now that iv used it if i keep it trimmed i really shouldnt need it anymore.

so really just rent one.

you could just about buy a stihl one for that price...

jds1469
05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
you could just about buy a stihl one for that price...

I purchased it from a dealer that alot of people around me told me was just the best person to buy from. i went today and asked him if it was ok it I swapped it out and he said sure. i ended up with an echo srm-210 for $200 even. the only thing i need to switch out is the head to the shindaiwa head. after that i went to home depot because i needed a new trench shovel and saw the same trimmer there for $225.

specialtylc
05-06-2008, 08:56 PM
I have 4 string trimmers and 1 blade edger on the trailer. I need both. In areas where the sod is taller than the concrete the blade does a much better job. On my truck it only gets used on 4 properties on a weekly basis. All properties at beginning of the season.

If this is a serious business for you, Dont be cheap. Buy quality tools and have the right tool for the job at hand. Its worth it in the long run.

davidcentralflorida
05-06-2008, 09:18 PM
both are needed when they are needed. iv seen the split booms, im not impressed, for back-up MAYBE. there are things needed to get into this biz, mower, trimmer, edger, blower, and hedge trimmer. a lawn rake and square shovel are also handy. get these and you can grow from there, but get them. a dedicated line trimmer is a must. the split boom is too heavy.
my point is, you should get good tools first.
back to your question, iv touched-up with a line trimmer. the edge should be made with an edger. then after it can be maintained fairly easy with the trimmer.

one of the other post said the trimmer can leak fuel, that its not to be run upside down. this is not my experience, mine runs fine anyway up. iv never known it to leak fuel.
get those five tools, youll be glad you did. best of luck david

jds1469
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I really didnt have too much area to trim tonight but just wanted to see why everyone said to buy one of three brands and i see why. i wanna go get another and put the motor on my walk behind mower

TandM
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
No string trimmer always use a stick edger

J&J Customs
05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
straight shaft trimmer on everything except extremly overgrown sidewalks and drives

magbarn
05-07-2008, 07:12 AM
I purchased it from a dealer that alot of people around me told me was just the best person to buy from. i went today and asked him if it was ok it I swapped it out and he said sure. i ended up with an echo srm-210 for $200 even. the only thing i need to switch out is the head to the shindaiwa head. after that i went to home depot because i needed a new trench shovel and saw the same trimmer there for $225.

I hope all you're doing is cutting grass with that trimmer as the SRM-210 is pretty weak power wise. If you'd rather stick with echo the SRM-260 is much more powerful trimmer with basically the same weight. If you're in a rush, try out echo's own new U-Turn trimmer heads. I have one trimmer with it and another with the speed feed and I sometimes can re-load the U-turn faster as you don't need to thread the string across inside the head. Plus a new head is "always" available at any home cheapo if you need a replacement. This question is kinda beaten to death but I guess the search is busted, but you'll hear it from bth sides. ME, I'm ALOT more consistent and faster with a stick edger. I'm currently using a Shindaiwa LE2510 C4 edger and probably put about 20+ hours or so on it and still running great on Stihl ultra mix. Once I establish an edge with my power trim WB, I can almost jog with the stick edger. I know alot of guys here complain about having to go back to the truck for another tool, but most of my accounts are residential anyway so the lots aren't too big.

kmitt
05-07-2008, 07:45 AM
How much edge do you have? I do residential properties. Most of them are pretty small. I establish an edge with a spade and maintain it with a string trimmer. The spade need only be used once on overgrown sidewalks, curbs & drives with yearly touch ups from plow damage. Gardens are edged every spring with a spade. If you are just starting out this may be the way to go.

jds1469
05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I hope all you're doing is cutting grass with that trimmer as the SRM-210 is pretty weak power wise. If you'd rather stick with echo the SRM-260 is much more powerful trimmer with basically the same weight.
really im just a home owner thats sick of buying crap like craftsman. i do not have any over growen areas, just trimming around my house, plant beds and fence line

If you're in a rush, try out echo's own new U-Turn trimmer heads. I have one trimmer with it and another with the speed feed and I sometimes can re-load the U-turn faster as you don't need to thread the string across inside the head.
I just saw this on their web page. Whats the retail cost of this head?

Beau Rivage
05-07-2008, 09:20 AM
A stick edger always...I get much better results.

magbarn
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
really im just a home owner thats sick of buying crap like craftsman. i do not have any over growen areas, just trimming around my house, plant beds and fence line

I believe it's $28 or so at the HD.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I would only say to consider an edger for high end residential - where the turf line is higher than the sidewalk/driveway as it should be.

As for around here, small town Midwest, everyone seems to have a sunken turf line. Thus, a straight shaft trimmer works just fine in cleaning up the turf/hardscape lines. If I bought an edger, it would be rarely used....

grassyguy
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
We only use stick blade edgers. Its easier for employees to do a great job consistentlywith the edger. Some people do fine with trimmers. I have seen guys try to use a trimmer and the edge is never perfectly straight, and they also tend to make the edge too wide. There are no mistakes with a blade. But dont use a walk behind. Too bulky and time consuming. Stick edgers are super fast.

S.A.L.
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Stick edger.
Consistent.
Fast.
Consistent.
Easy.
and Consistent.

magbarn
05-07-2008, 03:40 PM

I just noticed you're a homeowner. I would suggest you take back that SRM-210 and get Echo's pro attachment series instead. Way superior system and can save youquite a bit of money over getting seperate components. I would suggest the PAS-260 or PAS-265 and get the trimmer/edger attachments. I thought I would like the new 265 more, but actually prefer the 260 as it's much lighter than the 265. As a homeowner, the time spent swapping attachments and a little more weight isn't a big deal like it is for the pros.

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Walk behind is good for when u have serous overgrown grass, and thats it. If you insist on gettin an edger, its got to be a stick edger. But either way you look at it, you need both. And they both run about the same.

Steve Swail
05-08-2008, 03:55 AM
jds...I too would second the notion you look in to an Echo or Stihl power head with which you would be able to run multiple attachments (i.e. trimmer & edger). I'm a homeowner as well & just purchased the PAS 265 from Echo with the trimer & edger attachments. Both worked great this past week when I did the lawn. Definitely a much less expensive option for guys like us who use the stuff once a week & having to change attachments is no big deal. But do some searches on here & ask questions from guys who use the different attachments because not all of them are nearly as effective or well designed as they should be. Anyway, good luck to you.

Steve

jds1469
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
The only place i have any need for a real edger is the sidewalk infront of my house. my driveway and walkways around my house are a little low right now. I have them pretty clean right now and can keep it up with my edger and if needed a sod saw by hand. there is no more then 50 - 75 yards of edge where the sod level is higher then the hardscape

chrisvinky
05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I am just getting started and this may be a stupid question, but what is a stick edger and what is a walk behind?

I have been looking at some Stihl edgers. Specifically the FC 90 and 95. One is a straight shaft and one is curved. Don't really know which one yet.:confused:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I have been using Edgeit's for years with great results....and no complaints......

I used them on drives, walks, and beds. I will admit that sometimes they throw grass into the bed and require some cleanup. I have a stick edger that rarely comes off the trailer.....and a Tanaka walk behind that only comes out for badly overgrown and usually new clients.......

magbarn
05-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I am just getting started and this may be a stupid question, but what is a stick edger and what is a walk behind?

I have been looking at some Stihl edgers. Specifically the FC 90 and 95. One is a straight shaft and one is curved. Don't really know which one yet.:confused:

A walk behind is usually a 50+lbs edger with a 3.5hp on up horizontal engine. Google mclane edger/little wonder/power trim and you'll see what I'm talking about. This is awesome for well overgrown edges that the client has neglected for 1+ years as the weight of the machine is able to usually slice it like butter. A stick edger is more like a weedeater with an edger attached to it. You bear the weight of it more, but it's ALOT more manueverable, especially around curved sidewalks. My personal favorite as it's fast once my power trim walk behind has established the edge previously.