PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Planning - Destination Spas

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Just planning a little 'reward trip' for my wife and I to take in September...

I have my eye on a very upscale, private island, destination spa in the Florida Keys.... which got me thinking...

Do you know of an upscale, destination spa type resort that you would highly recommend for some downtime? I am open to pretty much anything within a 4 to 5 hour flight from Toronto (USA, Canada, North - Central Carib.)

Have a great day.

NightScenes
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Grand Villas, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I don't know how long of a flight it would be but it would be worth the trip.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Paul, just checked that out and it looks lovely.... We are a bit ahead of the wave by wanting the 3rd week in Sept, and so flights dont really line up well... 2 connections and 12 hours to get there!

Have to save that one for a 'winter getaway'.

Thanks again.

dwightschrute
06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Check out my farm, a must visit!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52842-d730099-Reviews-Schrute_Farms-Honesdale_Pennsylvania.html

NiteTymeIlluminations
07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Gran Villas was okay if you want to be with 1000 other people. I for a retreat would recommend any of the resorts I work at obviosuly but for something completely different try Tiamo Resort. Do a google. Wow.

Chris J
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Do you guys mean Grand Velas in Puerto Vallarta? That was a beautiful place, but I really didn't care for it so much. There are other "all inclusives" that I have found to be truly all inclusive. So far, I think the Sandals in Montego Bay, Jamaica has been my favorite. It's a really upbeat, younger atmosphere with a lot of excitment. Not that I'm young anymore though.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks Guys... I have been to the Sandals Grande St. Lucian and it was wonderful.

For this trip I am looking for something much more small and intimate.... I have my eye on Little Palm Island Resort in the Keys... Check it out on the net: WOW.

Mark B
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
For this trip I am looking for something much more small and intimate.... I have my eye on Little Palm Island Resort in the Keys... Check it out on the net: WOW.

If you are looking for intimate you should checkout "desire" or "hedo".. From what hear those places are best.

NiteTymeIlluminations
07-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont know how much more intimate 11 seperate cottages could be.

Thanks for the plug Chris.

Desire or Hedo? You have to be kidding me. Hedos rooms are nasty nasty nasty and are only fun if you like to swing but dont like food.

You never take my advice Jim so I'll stop giving it. I work for a resort, I think I'd know. Do you ask only so you can tell us your opinion? I won't give my advise, even if you ask in thread from here on out, but check out Tiamo if you want intimate.

Seriosuly why do you ask if you have the answer, now its killing me...do you just want us to realize that you worked this spring, you are taking a R and R and R now and in september again you are taking a holiday and that you swim everyday at lunch time. Come on Jim, whats up?

BZACK
07-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Just a vote for Little Palm, which should not be confused with the mega-type resorts. Little Palm is a good place to escape...very secluded and with almost every possible amenity you could ask for....at a price!

Excellent food on the beach while the sun sets, though the restaurant is open to the public. Even the 10 minute ride out there in the restored Chris Craft is nice. The public did not used to have access to the rest of the island, only the restaurant, but that changed several years ago. Now the can walk around the pool areas, etc.

Fishing, diving, sailing, Key West, all at your disposal.

Of course, the larger resorts are nice too....just depends on where your mind wants to be.

Bill

Chris J
07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
For 2k you can rent the Penninsular House on Marathon Key for a whole week. I've stayed there on a couple of occasions during lobster season and it's nice. Private, secluded, dock (you can rent a boat across the bay), pool and spa. Just no frills like an occupied resort.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-01-2008, 04:32 PM

You never take my advice Jim so I'll stop giving it. I work for a resort, I think I'd know. Do you ask only so you can tell us your opinion? I won't give my advise, even if you ask in thread from here on out, but check out Tiamo if you want intimate.

Seriosuly why do you ask if you have the answer, now its killing me...do you just want us to realize that you worked this spring, you are taking a R and R and R now and in september again you are taking a holiday and that you swim everyday at lunch time. Come on Jim, whats up?

Awww c'mon now... you have me all wrong there. I found Little Palm Island and thought is just about right, so then I wanted to find some alternatives to look at, compare & contrast is all. Its not that I dont think Sandals is awesome, its just that they are bigger properties and resorts then I am looking for this time around. I am thinking boutique resort here, small, upscale, intimate and exclusive. None of the other resorts suggested so far seem to offer that mx yet.

Nothing is booked yet so I am still open to suggestions.... in that "little palm island" flavour and style.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mark B
07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Who cares about the food. :laugh: It is the other fun things that you can get into..

David Gretzmier
07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
reading all these posts...I just hope someday I can have enough spare $$$ laying around to do what James is doing !

NightScenes
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Really, wouldn't that be nice???

Mark B
07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Or you could wait till October and go down to fantesy fest in the keys. We will be there for the week, with a few friends.

extlights
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Holiday inn and a small japanese massage parlor might fit my budget. :)

David Gretzmier
07-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I can afford a cruise for myself with my brother for about 500 bucks and 200 spending money in february. I am hoping to take the kids to Disneyworld next year, and am expecting that to run 6 grand. no money left for couple time.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-02-2008, 12:42 AM
David, that trip to Disney.... keep saving! We were there (4 of us) 3 years ago for a week.... had free accomodation thanks very much to my in-laws, but still! The park admissions are insane... Add in the food, trinkets, and other entertainment and it has to be one of the most expensive destinations on earth! Fun, yes but wow.

Pro-Scapes
07-02-2008, 07:30 AM

Why not just consult a travel agent. Im sure an agent that caters to the clients you rave about would know all about "upscale".

We are headed to Casa De Mamas for the 4th. Luxury...pools...incredible food and such a value. Yall have a great weekend and please be safe.

NiteTymeIlluminations
07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Did I mention Tiamo or Sandals? Oh thats right Tiamo....did I mention Tiamo?

Tiamo is nothing if it isnít authentic. When youíre here, its pristine natural beauty overwhelms you and takes over your senses ó transfixing you. Itís hard to believe its real, but this is real as it gets. The most intimate and private of Bahamian resorts, this 12-acre Caribbean paradise has but eleven beach bungalows, surrounded by 125 acres of naturally preserved wilderness. Guests are pleasantly surprised when they discover that Tiamo is an ecoresort. They never could have imagined how luxurious and comfortable it could be to be to have a shower heated by the sun, or to be cooled by tropical breezes and the whir of a solar-powered ceiling fan.

Not affiliated with Sandals in any way.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Did I mention Tiamo or Sandals? Oh thats right Tiamo....did I mention Tiamo?

Tiamo does look quite intriguing and lovely, however it is closed from July 6th to December 31st making a stay there in September pretty hard. Also, they don't have any Spa facilities.... I am looking for a 'destination spa resort'... I know I know, picky picky.

Have a great day.

Mark B
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Go with desire or hedo. You should have a ton of fun there.

Chris J
07-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Spa? You gonna get a pedicure and manicure while there?

Mike M
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I live at the beach and haven't gone swimming in the ocean yet this year.