PDA

View Full Version : First paver job

Mike33
06-25-2008, 11:34 PM
First paver job at my own home, pick away. Not quite ready to tamp and poly sand yet. Bar table picking up granite tomm. Barbecue pit still under construction.
mike

02DURAMAX
06-26-2008, 05:56 AM
Looks Good!

fool32696
06-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Not bad for a first job, but I'm noticing some running some straight lines where the blocks weren't staggered correctly. In the last pic it looks like the last row on the right is sloping upward slightly. Keep at it, you'll only get better!

Mike33
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Not bad for a first job, but I'm noticing some running some straight lines where the blocks weren't staggered correctly. In the last pic it looks like the last row on the right is sloping upward slightly. Keep at it, you'll only get better!
good obsevation, my wall is little off and i thought i could adjust paver to fit. Bad idea. Especially since im a wall builder. On the first landing does the turn and cuts look okey? I know my lines got off lesson learned. On up towards pillar pics dont show i have them running better, got more experience the farther i went. It was tough working by my self getting up and down carrying and laying pita. thanks for input.
mike

PerfiCut L&L
06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Looks prety good so far. Should turn out to a be a nice first project. Did notice a couple small things, atleast from the two pictures posted.

1. in the first picture, the wall to the left with the board on it. Might have been a good idea to put a layer of geotextle between the back of the wall stones and the fill. Especially if its dirt. You'll end up with dirt and sand washing out onto the patio after every rain.

2. Where the rake & shovel are: It looks as if the last 10 or so rows of pavers were an afterthought. From this angle I can see some prety long seams.

3. Not sure how much room there is, and what the design of the bar table is, but it looks like it should have been about 2' farther from corner of the deck/steps. Seating may block the travel path from the steps to the rest of the patio. Plus you may gain an addiontal seting spot at the end other end of the table between the bar and the deck. As it looks now, you might have 2' between the bar base and the sitting wall. Just a thought.

4. SECOND PIC: Again, it looks as if the 3 last 3 rows were an afterthough, as there are long running seams.

5. Not sure whats happening to the walkway. Looks like it shifts halfway to the first step/landing. Grabs my eyes attention.

Not bad though, especially for a first. I'm sure you've learned alot already. Note the limitations of the wall stone(s) and their design. Especially at the step from the walkway to the patio. Exposing the end or cut portion of a wall stone, which has a grooves or chanels end to end can make for an eye sore. Curves are more difficult to accomplish and take additional work to ensure clean joints when using square wall stone. Pie shaped stones with random sizes make creating bends and curves in walls very easy.

All in All. Looks good so far, and thanks for the pics. Keep them coming.

Mike33
06-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Great points, where the rake and shovel is was exactly after thought. Just added that 4' section 2 days ago. i pulled soldier course and layed out for more room. I going to pull a few on the first landing sat. and see what i can do. Thanks again,
mike

PatriotLandscape
06-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I would have used a set pattern way too many straight lines. For your first time on the patio it looks good.

Mike33
06-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I would have used a set pattern way too many straight lines. For your first time on the patio it looks good.

Thanks, i know you do quality work and your comment was appreciated. I had a competer buddy who does pavers told me for first time use 6x6 and 6x9 random pattern any way you lay them will be fine. The in put i have received is that waent the best pattern for that size. I also think his advise might of been a little off. I live in the mountains of w.md and very little paver work happens except by h/o. I build a ton of srw but for the effect of holding something back. Very few garden walls etc.
Mike

Mike33
06-28-2008, 10:31 PM
A few pics from today, pulled 5' of pavers from first step and re laid. Also completed block work on b. pit. Placed top on table have to remove to place lights that just came in. Ab courtyard sucks
mike

PerfiCut L&L
06-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I see you pulled up the last few rows near the BBQ and fixed those lines. Good choice.

Looks good so far.

One thing I noticed with the addition of the new pictures. On the first pic of the landing/walkway leading to your steps. It looks like you are cutting the pavers one at a time. Giving a slightly uneven cut between the pavers and the soldiar corse.
Suggestion: Lay the pavers, mark where you want the border stones, then leave the pavers in place, and cut with a skill/chop saw. Remove scraps, lay down your border. This will give you a consistant and straiter line.

brianhanson37
06-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Like the island outside! Also, are those steps going to act as a waterfall and turn your porch into a pond during a storm?

Mike33
06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Like the island outside! Also, are those steps going to act as a waterfall and turn your porch into a pond during a storm?
this has been a 6 weekend on going project, and lots of rain not yet

Mike33
06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I see you pulled up the last few rows near the BBQ and fixed those lines. Good choice.

Looks good so far.

One thing I noticed with the addition of the new pictures. On the first pic of the landing/walkway leading to your steps. It looks like you are cutting the pavers one at a time. Giving a slightly uneven cut between the pavers and the soldiar corse.
Suggestion: Lay the pavers, mark where you want the border stones, then leave the pavers in place, and cut with a skill/chop saw. Remove scraps, lay down your border. This will give you a consistant and straiter line.

Im going to give you a medal for great observance. Yes, i cut 1 at a time. Like i said this was a total me project none of my staff. Between getting up carring a stack of brick then getting up walking to saw and making a cut my legs and back about give out.
mike

Ground Effects NH
09-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Mike,
Do you have any updated photos of the patio?
Is it completed yet?
any planting been done?
Like to see how you made out on the"1st" patio:drinkup:

Mike33
09-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Mike,
Do you have any updated photos of the patio?
Is it completed yet?
any planting been done?
Like to see how you made out on the"1st" patio:drinkup:

Yes i have. i will take some pics tomm. and post later on. Thanks for your concern.
mike

Skimastr105
09-25-2008, 12:20 AM
not bad at all... especially for a first.

KrayzKajun
09-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Looks very good for 1st time!

Hardscaping
09-26-2008, 01:33 AM
some of your steps why are they stacked directly on top of each other?

I have found from previous job that is a big no no!

Mike33
09-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Which ones? coming off patio, or up sidewalk? Okey looking at pics which is 3 months old, not to cut you short but that is just the way i did them.
Mike