PDA

View Full Version : anyone use smart dial?

greenmonster304
06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
just wondering if anyone had any feed back on irritrols smart dial?

Flow Control
06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
I personally like the weather trak system, but the hard part is finding a homeowner that will actually embrace the system for more then a sales pitch. We have yanked more out then that stayed in. The Smiths will call and even though you explain the Weather Trak service they will think something is wrong with their system since the neighbors goes off on a regular schedule and the Weather Trak doesn't and that something "must" be wrong even though when I ask them is the grass green they say yes. I reviewed a system yesterday and it had the system running 1-2 days a week while all the neighbors are running 3-6 days a week. The weather has been mild and rainy so the program was correct. We also found that some homeowners don't want to dish the $$ for the service (we charge $150yr) even though it saves them more then that in water/sewer. I have an extra Weather Trak controller and a Smart Line controller with a weather station. I am taking my PRO-C out this weekend and I think I will try the Smart Line the remainder of the summer and the Weather Trak next year and see which one I like better.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-26-2008, 07:33 AM
I personally like the weather trak system, but the hard part is finding a homeowner that will actually embrace the system for more then a sales pitch. We have yanked more out then that stayed in. The Smiths will call and even though you explain the Weather Trak service they will think something is wrong with their system since the neighbors goes off on a regular schedule and the Weather Trak doesn't and that something "must" be wrong even though when I ask them is the grass green they say yes. I reviewed a system yesterday and it had the system running 1-2 days a week while all the neighbors are running 3-6 days a week. The weather has been mild and rainy so the program was correct. We also found that some homeowners don't want to dish the $$ for the service (we charge $150yr) even though it saves them more then that in water/sewer. I have an extra Weather Trak controller and a Smart Line controller with a weather station. I am taking my PRO-C out this weekend and I think I will try the Smart Line the remainder of the summer and the Weather Trak next year and see which one I like better.

Good post. This is exactly what I envisioned would be the problem with the weather Trak. At least with the SL you can fool the homeowner by having it come on with set days with some ET functionality involved. Plus no fee. Make sure your SL has the latest firmware should be 3.something now.

greenmonster304
06-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think it will be a problem in my market for home owners complaining about not seeing the sprinklers. most of my acounts are second homes and they are only home on the weeked.

I have one customer who I thought would be interested in an et system and he has an icc. so i brought over hunters weather station and he shot it down because it needs to be hard wired to the clock (he doesnt like wires on the side of his house). So i thought I might try smart dial because there are no wires. this sucks though because his icc is brand new.

EagleLandscape
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Wireless Weather Monitor For The Smartline.

Its Gonna Be Unreal!

WalkGood
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
. I have an extra Weather Trak controller and a Smart Line controller with a weather station. I am taking my PRO-C out this weekend and I think I will try the Smart Line the remainder of the summer and the Weather Trak next year and see which one I like better.

Ever consider running half your zones on the Smart Line and the other half on the Weather Trak? You can then have side by side comparison THIS year under same exact conditions.

Kiril
06-26-2008, 09:44 AM
We also found that some homeowners don't want to dish the $$ for the service (we charge $150yr) even though it saves them more then that in water/sewer.

And that is the problem with the controller you never stop paying for.

Flow Control
06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Ever consider running half your zones on the Smart Line and the other half on the Weather Trak? You can then have side by side comparison THIS year under same exact conditions.

BINGO, good idea, will work out great since my system is 15 zones. I will put half the front, half the back and half the beds on each timer.

WalkGood
06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
BINGO, good idea, will work out great since my system is 15 zones. I will put half the front, half the back and half the beds on each timer.

Start a new "blog" thread where you have mucho pics of setting it all up, and pics of the different zones. Every few weeks or so (or if you note a difference), post more pics.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Wireless Weather Monitor For The Smartline.

Its Gonna Be Unreal!

You can be my guinea pig. :)Thank goodness for the impatient youth or us old farts would never find out if a product is good or not. It does sound like a potential winner if it works as described.

On another note I have a hypothetical. If you have a temp. sensor mounted on a roof. Would it record a higher temp than the recorded temp. Let's say it is 95 degrees. Would radiant heat cause a higher temp reading by the sensor? I don't see how the roof temp can get higher than the air temp but maybe the heat absorption and baking effect will cause a higher temp. I ask cuz I got a SL WM that had a 115 degree temp reading on a 97 degree day.

Kiril
06-27-2008, 09:31 AM
On another note I have a hypothetical. If you have a temp. sensor mounted on a roof. Would it record a higher temp than the recorded temp. Let's say it is 95 degrees. Would radiant heat cause a higher temp reading by the sensor? I don't see how the roof temp can get higher than the air temp but maybe the heat absorption and baking effect will cause a higher temp. I ask cuz I got a SL WM that had a 115 degree temp reading on a 97 degree day.

Without a heat shield, absolutely, and even with one near a roof, probably.

zimmatic
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I have approx 20 smart dials in use in minnesota. I have no problem selling the controllers. The nice thing about the smart dial is when the service expires it continually beeps, its anoying as heck. Then the clients call and ask why I said because the bill is sent to them to renew wasnt paid and the service has expried. They pay right up and I am back in business.
As far as water savings go. If your system coverage is junk it doesnt work to well. The one system I have been watching for the past 3.5 years has save lots of water. The orginal Hunter src used 800kgallons the first season. The smart dial used 520k gallons more than paid for itself. From year to year it is only off +/- 10k.
The other nice thing is that I have learned is that if you need to shut down a controller and know the serial # you call the service and they can send out a signal for a delay. Helps when you cant get out to a system that my have a problem.
The r.o.i for a small system 6 zones (2 spray zones 4 rotor zones) is 2.5 years
I really like the system.

WalkGood
08-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Did you ever set this up and make a comparison?

Flow Control
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Negative, I am too busy and will probably wire up everything over the winter and observe next season from Spring to Fall.