PDA

View Full Version : tinking a head

Mike M
06-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Okay.

For those of us preparing for LED framework, e.g., Kichler's line, DGLights, etc., let's say we nail the main 20 & 35 watt equiv's, but for paths... Can't we just convert the huge offering of copper path lights into LED's? All we need is to cut off the socket and pop a driver into the stem (or at the base) and thread up an LED.

Either a manu can sell us this retro/conversion kit or we can order the parts from a supplier??

In fact, I'd bet any manu could make a conversion kit for this kind of retrofitting. Easy, no?

irrig8r
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Didn't Sherman have a retro fit kit... Billy showed a pic of a sample I think.

www.ledfitkit.com I think... it was just a parked domain for a while... now you need a password to get in...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2008, 10:47 PM
It sounds easy Mike but what LED lamps are you proposing to retrofit into path lights?

I have investigated the miniature LED lamp segment and have come up empty. The only miniature LED lamps (SCB, Bi-Pin, Wedge Base) that I can find are DC units designed for the automotive industry. Even if you could fit an existing rectifier/power management cicuit board into the stem of an existing path light, the light output, colour, etc of the DC mini LED lamps is atrocious.

This is why I am actively looking to have MR16 based path lights built. In so doing, we can simply make use of a good Quality MR16 LED lamp to provide the light and would need no accessory power mgt.

If you have any new info or thoughts on this please share... I would be all ears.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, and yes there are appropriate LED modules available that might work ( the GE Vio is a perfect example) but the drivers for it are not yet small enough, or the right shape to fit into a 3/4" dia pathlight stem. I don't know of any direct burial, accessory drivers on the market other then the DC unit that Kichler offers and it isnt so simple as just attaching any driver to an LED lamp module.. the specs must match in terms of voltage, amperage, etc.

Mike M
06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I was just thinkin of those little South Korean LED jobbers with the tootsie roll control modules that Sherman uses. Seems the module would fit in the stem, or at least in a pvc stake.

btw I think Mike G has an MR 16 path.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
How about some more details about those Seoul Semiconductor LEDs and drivers Mike. If you have found something there, I am game to try it!

As for the MR16 Pathlight.... ya no kidding... So does Winnona, Sundown Designs, and one other company. I am working on something as we speak with another manu. to come up with a JSLD spec. fixture for this application.

Hey Mike... I am a bit surprised you haven't asked for a couple of "my" MR16 LED lamps to try out. They really are quite amazing when installed in the field.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
06-27-2008, 01:44 AM
I think I just might be the only one that has an LED pathlight. Its in my office and works quite well. Its a 3w LED mr16 and I also tried the lamina LED in it and it is simply amazing with its output.

It is of course the Gambino path which has some insane photometrics to begin with but with a warm white LED or the daylight led its vibrant as ever.

I have not had the liberty of trying "james" led yet that he manufactures.

I would think you could take something with a robust collar like an mr16 path and place something like the DG light source in it which is afterall a lamina atlas engine. I am pretty certain the Deck light I have here from sherman would be able to pretty easily be fitted inside this mr16 path I have with little issue in probably about 30 minutes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 02:12 AM
Actually Billy, there are a number of lines of LED pathlights on the market already. Kichler, Hadco, Vista, and SPJ to name a few... they all have LED Pathlights available. Only issue is with the colour of the engines... they are still in that cool white spectrum.

I think what Mike and I were referring to is a line of LED pathlights that actually have the right colour and intensity to do the job. I am sticking with the LED lamp idea... why re-invent the wheel when excellent lamps are available?

As for that Lamina SOL Lamp, dont leave it on too long inside any type of enclosed fixture... it will burn you fingers! = Not going to last.

Pro-Scapes
06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Even with the cooler colorstars cheapie lamp the color looks pretty nice especially with a lens over it. As long as they all matched on a project I would see no issue with the color I am getting. Mike M and I saw the SPJ paths and I think Chris J would agree the color was a bit off. How bout that Rep Chris ? She was eyeing you.

Theres that statement againabout not needing to reinvent the wheel, which is the same thing you said when you tried to steal the Gambino path isnt it ?

Reinventing things is something that has driven our industry to new levels.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Dont even start to accuse me of stealing or theft. No such thing occured and you full well know that Billy. I made an inquiry, asked a few manufacturers if they produced said pathlight. Since when is asking a question of a manufacture that participates in an open and free market considered 'stealing'. I even specifically stated in my inquiry that I wanted nothing to do with MG's or Sundown's products. Oh right, you are relying on second hand information aren't you? You might want to consider your sources.

You sure know how to make mountains out of mole hills my friend. Perhaps too much time learning that trait from the best.

Have a great day.

Pro-Scapes
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Im not going to start a fight nor will I post verbatim your inqury to the manufacture(s).

Have a good day.