PDA

View Full Version : Advise on a $1500-$2000 Mower

ScottyB.
01-07-2002, 05:15 PM
A search didn't show me anyone with the same type of situation I have.
Jan.7th and I am looking at GRASS in Wisconsin. What is wrong??

I have just under 2 acres to cut at my home. My front yard (1 acre) is basically on the side of a pretty good hill. My lawn was not professionally landscaped, so it may not be the smoothest around, but I did the best I could and like to keep it looking nice. With that being said, What kind of a riding lawn mower would you recommend? New/Used? It takes about 3 hours now with my POS 1980 Murray 36" 11hp. I would like a 42"-48" 12-18 hp that will last 8-10 yrs. I cant talk my wife into a Simplicity for $2500 so I have to stay below that. I realize you pros might suggest something more than my budget, but is it really worth spending $4000 on a machine that will last 15 yrs when you could get 2 of a lesser brand that will last 7-10.
Any direction here will be great.
Thanks
Scotty B.

GO PACK GO.

Turfdude
01-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Scotty,

Depending upon your age and physical condition, you may want to consider a quality used commercial 48" walkbehind. You could check out the used equipment forum here, or check w/ your local equipment dealers as some will take trades. You will actually finish quicker w/ a walk behind than a riding lawn tractor. Some have easier setups for operator controls (toro t-bar, snapper loop handles and I'm sure some others). You could also look into some kind of velke attachment if you don't want to walk.:D

Good luck

Bob

fivestarlawnken
01-09-2002, 08:16 PM
If you don't mind walking look at a New walkbehind mower.You can get real close to 2500 with a belt drive 48 inch cut.I know Ferris,snapper,Mtd all have models starting around or below 2500.It will outlast 2 riding mowers if you just mow your place. Two acres shouldn't take more than 1 1/2.good luck

LAZERMAN
01-10-2002, 12:13 AM
TURFDUDE IS RIGHT. IF YOU COULD FIND A WELL MAINTAINED WALK BEHIND MOWER AND ADD A SULKY I BELIEVE YOU WILL BE PLEASED WITH IT. JUST REMEMBER BUY A MOWER THAT A LOCAL DEALER WILL REPAIR IF NEEDED.