PDA

View Full Version : How do I start?

KathysLGC
01-07-2002, 05:20 PM
ok So I want to cut lawns, how should I go about starting? I got a pick up and most of what i need to start out. I also just got a scag 52" with no motor. Should I just advertise and pray for the best?

lawncare
01-07-2002, 05:28 PM
You are exactly right figure out how much you want to charge or see what the price range is in your area. How you make it and don't give up.

odin
01-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Playboy

What shape is the scag in ?you want a fairly good mower to do a first class job
If the mower part is in good condition get a good kawasaki as the replacement engine.
As far as advertisement have some door hangers printed up and go to the best neighborhoods but make sure to check the village hall to see if they allow it or if they require a licenceto go door to door.
Local newpapers can be effective ,our local paper in the southeast suburbs here in chicago is subscribed to by practically every body and has been very effective for us
But after you get built up the most effective advertiseing is word of month.Word of month the last 3 years for us has got more work than the papers door hangers and yellow pages put togeather.

VLM
01-07-2002, 05:49 PM
SCRUB ALERT! Do you have any experience in the lawn maintenance bus? If not, I STRONGLY recommend you get some first. Sure, cuting grass is not rocket science, but there is alot more to it if you want to do quality work and help us all keep a good reputation.

KathysLGC
01-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Easy buddy you started some where too. I have been reading as much as I can find on the internet. The Scotts website has some good basic info also. I printed ever page and have them in a binder. I have been keeping my own yard up to date and I prune my own bushes, lay my own mulch, wack my own weeds, ect. I know what you mean by landscaping not only being grass cutting, but I didn't say I wanted to boast as if I was a pro. I want to start out by cutting grass. I want to learn organic weed control. That is how I found this site. Hopefully you guys can help out. As for my scag, it's in real good shape. I was thinking of the kawi 17HP. I am painting it over in orange. After I will grease it up and hopefully when I'm done with the paint I will have the engine.

lawrence stone
01-07-2002, 09:12 PM
So you are going to spend $1000 for a engine for some old Scag?

Are you nutz?

If that has a manual clutch you can buy a 14Hp B&S Vanguard twin for $350.

KathysLGC
01-07-2002, 09:26 PM
No not nuts just green. I didnt think a 14 would be enough power. It is a manual clutch and a belt drive. Where can I order that engine?

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
01-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Anyone can do thier own yard and make it look nice......however when you do your own yard you tend to take your time and arent rushed. When you do this for a business time is money along with quality. So you try your hardest to do as many yards as best you can in a short time. This can cause you to become tired quick. You dont learn this lesson reading a website.....you learn this by doing it. Go work for a pro and see if you can hang with them....then try it on your own.....it aint easy.

bob
01-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Use the search feature on this forurm. There's lots of info to be found. Also I agree with Stone, on the engine choice.

gogetter
01-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Playboy, looks like you didn't exactly get alot of encouraging repies from your first post.
Don't let that discourage you though. Read the heck out of Lawnsite over the winter. Use the search feature. Almost any question you would have on just about any topic can usually be answered there. If not, then ask away. It will require reading alot of posts to get your answers, but it's worth it. You'll pick up other valuble information you weren't even looking for along the way.

Make sure you have an applicators license if needed in your state, before you apply anything on ay lawns.

Good luck and welcome to LS.

Randy Scott
01-07-2002, 11:53 PM
That's probably the most useful information you got so far, just keep reading all the old posts. Any question you have has most likely been answered already. Take mental notes and read read read. It's a little hard to answer your question all at once. Honestly, the easiest part about this job is the actual work. The excercise is great, working outdoors is great. It isn't as taxing as some outdoor work, that's for sure. I certainly rather do this than put up foundations or dig ditches all day. Yeah, it's not a cake walk, but it isn't that difficult. Learning the fundamentals of how a business is to be RUN, is what will make or break you. You are going to make mistakes, we all do, but that's what it's all about. Just make sure you learn from them. It's the same in any business. You have to put your time in. Good luck!

scagman
01-08-2002, 12:22 AM
Buisness license

Buisness insurance (A must)

Good computer with printer

Reliable truck

Trailer (for the scag)

Edger, Blower, straight shaft trimmer (for edging flowerbeds)

Ambition

65hoss
01-08-2002, 04:34 AM
Spend the next couple of months reading as much as possible here. Ask questions, look over websites, go to book store, and maybe find someone on this site in your area to call and talk to.

KathysLGC
01-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys! I am not a scrub and I am not trying cheat the lawncare buisness. I live in New Canaan CT. There are alot of big lawn here. I only live on 1/3 of an acre but most around here have 2 - 4 acres. I do my own lawn with a 22" 6hp mower and it takes me about 15 minutes. I am 27 with 3 kids, I know I have the energy:blob3: to keep up with the best of them. I installed my own 18' above ground pool in the blazin heat this summer. I had to dig out 1.5' for half the circle then make sure every thing was perfectly level. I hauled 3 tons of sand up to the pool and dumped it in with a shovel. My point is I am not scared of hard work. This site is great. I am using the search feature and it is helping alot.

grasskeeper
01-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Take a trip to the book store. Ortho has a series of books out that have some good information on everything from basic lawn care to shrubs and trees. They won't make you an expert on the subjects but at least they will get you started. good luck.

greensummer
01-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Change your name. Good-luck!

KathysLGC
01-08-2002, 05:49 PM
The name "Playboy" is in memory of my first dog that died at the age of 11 months. He got loose (my fault) and was lost. The police found him on the train tracks with a broken back. I had to put him to sleep. Sometimes the best thing you can do in life is the hardest. I miss him dearly. So my handle for all message boards Playboy. You can call me play if you like. Thanks for the good luck wish tho. I know I'll need it.

AztlanLC
01-08-2002, 09:49 PM
PLAYBOY? LAWNBOY...:rolleyes: MMMMMHH I think we're going to star having fun again