PDA

View Full Version : Dumb crooks tried to steal our 4x4 utility vehicle

Mowingman
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Last weekend someone pretty dumb tried to steal our Cub 4x4 utility vehicle.
We have it on a 150 acre, land clearing job. It is locked in a steel shipping container. Well, they cut the lock off the container and took off toward the back of the property with it. As they were trying to find a place to cross the creek back there, they high centered it on a tree stump. They then went off and left it there.
I found it by the creek on Monday, and wondered why they abandoned it, when they almost had made their getaway. Then I noticed a big circle of spin marks all around the vehicle. They had spun it in circles trying to get off that short stump, but it was high centered on it. So they just left it there.
What is funny, is that it is so lightweight that one or two people can easily lift up the rear or front to set it off the stump. In fact, I lifted it off myself.
Thank goodness for DUMB crooks.
We now have new high dollar, high strength locks on that container.

tb8100
06-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Last weekend someone pretty dumb tried to steal our Cub 4x4 utility vehicle.
We have it on a 150 acre, land clearing job. It is locked in a steel shipping container. Well, they cut the lock off the container and took off toward the back of the property with it. As they were trying to find a place to cross the creek back there, they high centered it on a tree stump. They then went off and left it there.
I found it by the creek on Monday, and wondered why they abandoned it, when they almost had made their getaway. Then I noticed a big circle of spin marks all around the vehicle. They had spun it in circles trying to get off that short stump, but it was high centered on it. So they just left it there.
What is funny, is that it is so lightweight that one or two people can easily lift up the rear or front to set it off the stump. In fact, I lifted it off myself.
Thank goodness for DUMB crooks.
We now have new high dollar, high strength locks on that container.

WOW what luck! We went to ABUS locks after we got hit the first time. No more messing around with security. If it ain't nailed down, it'll get stolen sooner or later! :dizzy:

Mowingman
06-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Yes, it is really getting worse here, as far as thefts go. Nothing is really safe anymore it seems.

farmboy1285
06-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Wow your lucky. was there any damage to the under carriage? I tell you what we have a mule on our farm and the only way I have every got it stuck was when it high centered on a fallen tree. I have to pull my four wheeler out of the mud all the time with it. Its like those jeeps with the bumper stickers that say "official HUMMER recovery vehicle" but for me its "official four-wheeler recovery vehicle". Anyway glad to hear you got it back. Btw how did the thieves know it was in the container?

Nosmo
06-27-2008, 06:03 AM
back. Btw how did the thieves know it was in the container?

Thieves and burglars watch your habits. I was broken into just before last Christmas. I leave the house every morning at 5:00 AM and come back from Mc Donalds around 7:00AM.

The ones (2) got my plasma 42" TV and some tools. I found the TV in a pawn shop and traced the thieves down. One was a neighbor 2-doors up the street. He knew my habits.

Nosmo

tb8100
06-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Thieves and burglars watch your habits. I was broken into just before last Christmas. I leave the house every morning at 5:00 AM and come back from Mc Donalds around 7:00AM.

The ones (2) got my plasma 42" TV and some tools. I found the TV in a pawn shop and traced the thieves down. One was a neighbor 2-doors up the street. He knew my habits.

Nosmo

wow that's hardcore! Did you trace them down yourself or with the help of the police?

zemzabob
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Glad they weren't smart enough to get away with it, its crazy how bad it is starting to get out there in this crazy world.

Yater
06-27-2008, 03:24 PM

Nosmo

So what happened? Did you show up with a beat-down-stick or call the cops? I'd go for vigilante justice myself. Catch the guy in public and knock his jaw off....I'd also probably dump my clippings and debris on his lawn every day until he moved.

JohnnyRoyale
06-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Put a kill switch somewhere they cant see or susppect one to be. It may make them panic when it doesnt start and they realize they're gonna have to screw around with it to steal it. We have them installed on all of our equipment. Saved me a Skid steer and a R/t backhoe so far. It'll cost you 10-15 bucks.

Mowingman
06-27-2008, 07:48 PM
There is construction all around this property. Lots of laborers at these jobs. I think they have been watching us work and knew what was in there. We had the container moved up near the main road right by a street light. With the new locks, and the visibility, I think we are ok now.

Wow your lucky. was there any damage to the under carriage? I tell you what we have a mule on our farm and the only way I have every got it stuck was when it high centered on a fallen tree. I have to pull my four wheeler out of the mud all the time with it. Its like those jeeps with the bumper stickers that say "official HUMMER recovery vehicle" but for me its "official four-wheeler recovery vehicle". Anyway glad to hear you got it back. Btw how did the thieves know it was in the container?

corey4671
06-27-2008, 07:59 PM
talk about dumb crooks. Somebody here in our little town backed up to a trailer with two Everride Warriors and Stihl trimmers on it and took off. Next day they tried to sell it to some guy in the parking lot of Lowes 25 miles away. Interested buyer called the dealer asking what they were worth. Dealer later found out they had been stolen and called cops. Dumb crooks had given the potential buyer their HOME NUMBER TO CALL. Cops show up at house and find trailer and mowers!

Mowingman
06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Another dumb crook story: Our local Sherrif's Dept had one of their mowers stolen. It was a Gravely ZTR that was often brought into our store for service. The crook sold it to a small LCO who also buys at the store. This LCO brings it in, due to it having a "broken starter switch". My partner knew the machine and knew about the theft. He told the LCO that he had purchased a stolen mower, and called the Sheriff. They came and questioned the LCO, who had a bill of sale with the crooks real name and on it. The LCO also trook them to the address where he picked up the machine, which was the crook's home. The deputys knew the crook real well. He was a recently released prisoner who had served on the jail mowing crew.