PDA

View Full Version : Green Laser Pointers

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Has anyone used a 5mW Green Laser Pointer for the purposes of daytime aiming tree mounted downlights onto the object?

I have tried some rinky-dink red lasers (keychain toys) for this purpose and they have not been powerful enough to project the beam down 30+ feet in daylight conditions.

These 'new' 5mW Green Lasers are apparently much more powerful (used for pointing out objects in the night sky by astronomers).

http://www.escience.ca/telescopes/RENDER/5/2028/3065/13146.html

David Gretzmier
06-27-2008, 01:11 AM
James- I have several green lasers at my disposal, and they are ok for aiming, but no replacement for being there at night and touching up fixtures. The tough thing is placing the laser square and perpendicular to the landscape light lens face for an accurate aim. placing the pointer next to the fixture does no work for me, as the fixtures I use "flare" at the lens and the body itself does not "aim" very well.

so it is still a guess, but a better guess with the laser. shorter pen bodies work better, and larger bodies work best if they have a flat surface on the non laser end to butt up against the landscape light lens and square the aim. The larger bodies tend to have more powerful lasers, 20-100mw, 150mw, even 200mw plus. They also have larger battery areas for longer run time. they also are technically illegal if you do not use them for astronomy. I have a 20 and a 50mw which are great for daytime viewing. a 5mw actually is kinda dim during the day. Good luck !

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Thanks David... I want to try this out for my installer. I know it will not replace night-time aiming, but it will certainly be an aide for my guy when mounting the fixtures.

Both the NS JEMLiter and the CAST Treelight have a nice long smooth shroud on which you could hold the Laser Light up against.

Have a great day.

Eden Lights
06-27-2008, 01:25 AM
We use a green laser when determining the mounting locations from intended locations from time to time (Laser pointed from ground to tree), but we still aim all tree downlights at night.

Happy Frog
06-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Just a reminder...
Get hit in your eye (direct or reflection) by one of those green light LASERs and kiss your retina bye-bye.
Stay away from LASERs if you do not have proper eye protection (special eyeglasses). :cool2:
There are some green light LASERs pointers on eBay which can heat and pop a balloon from 100' away (great for poping your eyes too...) :nono:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Just a reminder...
Get hit in your eye (direct or reflection) by one of those green light LASERs and kiss your retina bye-bye.
Stay away from LASERs if you do not have proper eye protection (special eyeglasses). :cool2:
There are some green light LASERs pointers on eBay which can heat and pop a balloon from 100' away (great for poping your eyes too...) :nono:

Hmmm. sort of contradicts this information:

Green laser background

... So how safe are these things (the sub-5mW class IIIa version)? They won't burn you. They won't cause permanent eye damage. Tests were performed on individuals who were scheduled to have an eye removed for medical reasons. For the purposes of the test, the eye was normally functioning. Test subjects stared directly at 5 mW lasers with there to-be-removed eye for five to fifteen minutes from various angles. No permanent eye damage occured. Some changes in tissue were noticed. Of course, in a real-world incident, laser light entering the eye would likely last for less than one second, as people naturally look away from bright things and close their eyes, so there is no real danger of direct damage.

Having said that, these things are damn bright. If you hit a car driver at night with this, he'd be effectively blinded for at least a few seconds afterwards -- long enough to crash and die and have you go to prison for manslaughter. These are not toys for children. They should never be shined at people ever, and most especially not cars or planes.

Finally, why green? Our eyes are most sensitive to green light. The same measured power output of a red laser would not produce a visible beam, because our eyes aren't as sensitive to red. By the time we could see a red laser, it would probably be reaching a dangerous level of intensity.

Taken from this source: http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/opinions/z-bolt-6plus.html

David Gretzmier
06-27-2008, 06:15 PM
even with that study, I have experience, a quick flash of a 20 mw laser by accident, I was easily semi-blinded in that eye for several days. probably when I am 80 I'll lose the sight in that eye and go , huh, wonder how that happened ? be careful !

The Lighting Geek
06-27-2008, 11:22 PM
i use a 10 mw for pointing and aiming. It is such a hit with customers that had some ingraved ' The Lighting Geek Limited Edition' and sell them to clients. I use both the 5 and the 10Mw and they are the bomb. It is an official 'Geek Tool' and it has it's own pocket in my 5.11 SWAT vest. LOL

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Tommy, what brand of Laser do you use? Where you do purchase them from?

Thanks

Happy Frog
06-28-2008, 01:20 AM
My bad, the ones I am talking about are 200mw...

Check it out: 200mW Green LASER (http://cgi.ebay.com/200mw-green-laser-pointer-very-high-power-NEW-MODEL_W0QQitemZ220250660451QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

The Lighting Geek
06-28-2008, 11:47 AM
ThinkGeek.com for the lasers of all types. It's my favorite place of course!