PDA

View Full Version : Okay manifold boxers. Teach this Texan

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Have a job on a large mansion property. This is 4 2" valves in 10" round boxes. The valves are about 18" deep. We have stacked boxes but the mowers run over the boxes and keep pushing them back into the ground which of course causes a low area and this unattractive mess. Besides setting this whole thing in concrete what would you suggest?

AI Inc
06-27-2008, 06:26 AM
Even us manifold loving fools put 2" valves in their own 10" cans.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 06:27 AM

Well I'll be. So we aren't so different after all.:dancing:

londonrain
06-27-2008, 06:44 AM
12"x17" VBs with the boxes notched out 3-4" on inlet and outlet.....or 2 jumbo boxes if they will fit

Wet_Boots
06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Or those smaller rectangular boxes plus extensions. One box per valve.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 06:55 AM
12"x17" VBs with the boxes notched out 3-4" on inlet and outlet.....or 2 jumbo boxes if they will fit

I thought of that but these valves are close to a driveway and the boxes will really stick out. Plus I'm nervous about the mowers breaking a tee. I may move the whole mess 20 yards up and line them up (perpendicular to how they are now.) so the mowers can go over them in one cut without running the wheels over the boxes.

Wet_Boots
06-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Put garden gnomes on the lids.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Put garden gnomes on the lids.

Mexican mowers would run over those but maybe the Virgin of Guadalupe statues would work.

Wet_Boots
06-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Why can't you get some drain tile of the right size to use as extensions, and support them on bricks?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Why can't you get some drain tile of the right size to use as extensions, and support them on bricks?

What would I use for covers?

Wet_Boots
06-27-2008, 07:18 AM
The round box stays, but it has a stronger base, if you can find the tile to fit it over. By the way, the Ametek 10-inch round box can be extended, albeit three inches per extension. I'd still brace the bottom flanges with bricks or stones.

greenmonster304
06-27-2008, 07:44 AM
what i have done in that situation is take 2 10 vb and screw their bottoms together so they cant slide off each other then notch one of them. so you end up with a 20" +/- vb tapered on both ends.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 08:00 AM
what i have done in that situation is take 2 10 vb and screw their bottoms together so they cant slide off each other then notch one of them. so you end up with a 20" +/- vb tapered on both ends.

Hmmmmm good suggestion. I may try that next.

Wet_Boots
06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
I think you need more bottom flange area, or bricks, for the boxes to not get pushed deeper. I know that 6-inch pipe is the correct size to fit into the bottom of a round economy box. I think the last time I needed an extender for a 10-inch round, I used a cracked plastic bucket with the bottom cut out, since it was in a bed, and away from any traffic. (and I did move a garden gnome onto the lid, just for insurance)

Kiril
06-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Cover the boxes with soil and let the next dude worry about finding them. ;):laugh:

On another note...why so much water?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Cover the boxes with soil and let the next dude worry about finding them. ;):laugh:

On another note...why so much water?

Gremlins on this job. We think somebody turned a solenoid loose and couldn't get the zone shut down so they turned off the flow control and left the solenoid loose and leaking.;) I've been on this property for two plus years and have seen umpteen landscapers come and go. Now they got a home remodeler involved who is telling everybody how to do their job and does what he pleases. He installed a sump pump in an abandoned capped off drain pit. Could have saved himself a lot of trouble if he wasn't so arrogant about getting a little history from those in the know.

Kiril
06-27-2008, 09:07 AM
We think somebody turned a solenoid loose and couldn't get the zone shut down so they turned off the flow control and left the solenoid loose and leaking.

Ah, yes.... the wisdom of those who know nothing. :cry:

EagleLandscape
06-27-2008, 12:32 PM
they should hire a mowing company that doesnt mess up valve boxes:)

Dirty Water
06-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Yup.

The problem is that the valveboxes are sinking because the area is saturated. The further they sink, the lower the spot gets, and more water pools, causing them to sink more. Its a never ending problem.

The solution is fix the drainage.

Waterit
06-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Hmmmmm good suggestion. I may try that next.

We've taken 10" pipe, notched it to fit over the 2", and then slid the VB's over the top.

To help with drainage we dig down about 18" under the valve, perforate the 10", line it and the bottom of the hole with weed fabric, and use some coarse sand or gravel for backfill.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 09:02 PM
they should hire a mowing company that doesnt mess up valve boxes:)

I'll work on that John. Timing is everything. Roger K is on this job as well.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
We've taken 10" pipe, notched it to fit over the 2", and then slid the VB's over the top.

To help with drainage we dig down about 18" under the valve, perforate the 10", line it and the bottom of the hole with weed fabric, and use some coarse sand or gravel for backfill.

That puts me three feet down. I'd have to go to the tracks and hire a couple of diggers.:weightlifter: Do you do that as part of an install or part of a repair? Sounds like a nice clean job though.

WalkGood
06-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Have a job on a large mansion property. This is 4 2" valves in 10" round boxes. The valves are about 18" deep. We have stacked boxes but the mowers run over the boxes and keep pushing them back into the ground which of course causes a low area and this unattractive mess. Besides setting this whole thing in concrete what would you suggest?

Looks like a 4 seater latrine without the "house"!

Sorta seriously, get an above ground cement crypt but bury it. Just cut the bottom enough to house your valves and leave the rest of the base to prevent sinking. The flat cement cover should withstand any errant mowers.

http://hamiltonparanormal.com/images15/drummond4.jpg

Commercial drainage construction supply yard might have large sized cement vaults.

EagleLandscape
06-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Can the area just be topdressed with soil and releveled? Or does alot of the property drain to this area.

You said there was a driveway nearby. Is the driveway higher or lower than the low area?

Waterit
06-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Do you do that as part of an install or part of a repair? Sounds like a nice clean job though.

When we are installing in clay (yes, we do have clay in NW FL!) we use that method, and will do it on repiars if warranted by the situation.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Can the area just be topdressed with soil and releveled? Or does alot of the property drain to this area.

You said there was a driveway nearby. Is the driveway higher or lower than the low area?

I'll sneak you in this place sometime. Asphalt driveway. No real slope on this property. Drainage has been a long term issue here. Any depression seems to be a gathering spot for water. Raise and level one spot water moves to another spot.

Mike Leary
06-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Drainage has been a long term issue here. Any depression seems to be a gathering spot for water. Raise and level one spot water moves to another spot.

We have drainage issues up here, too.

Kiril
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM

::STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP::

AI Inc
06-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Nice pic Mike , keep posting them up please.

Kiril
06-28-2008, 11:21 AM

::NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:: :cry:

Mike Leary
06-28-2008, 12:21 PM

We're getting a heat wave here, upper eighties to low ninties, I bet Hank's
phone will be ringing off the hook on Monday as this is our first "summer" weather.
I'm heading back to the campground for the weekend, out of wi-fi range,
will be looking for more pics to torture Kiril with. :clapping:

Kiril
06-29-2008, 02:40 AM
will be looking for more pics to torture Kiril with. :clapping:

If you only knew what I have to look at day in and day out. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/1018.gif

Wet_Boots
06-29-2008, 07:34 AM
If you only knew what I have to look at day in and day out. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/mad/1018.gifStay away from mirrors, and things are bound to improve. :p

nylan8888
06-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm not impressed Mike, we have lakes here too!

Wet_Boots
06-29-2008, 08:32 AM
You're gonna need a bigger valve box

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-29-2008, 08:35 AM
get one of those electrical boxes....move out of the way as much as possible...

have @ it hoss mark the lines accordingly.

Waterit
06-29-2008, 11:32 PM

I'm not impressed Mike, we have lakes here too!

A view from here:

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-30-2008, 06:05 AM
A view from here:

Looking bare......

Waterit
06-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Looking bare......

Less bare, more water.:)