PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting pissed off!!!

Lawn Neophyte
06-28-2008, 06:13 AM
I can't freaking believe some of the people in my town. A guy called to get a price quote. I told him it'll cost $35 per cut. He wanted to pay $25 every other week.

The problem is his lawn is huuuuge. The kind of lawn you would charge $40 bucks. So I was being generous for charging $35. He didn't even accept that.

That jerk wants something for nothing. I hate this town. :angry:

tamadrummer
06-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Just simply do not buckle! You have to stand your ground! I have had several try to barter with me over my prices and basically I tell them that I am not there to have an auction or some kind of sale.

I am there to perform a service and the price I have given is what it is. If they want me to do the work, they then have to pay on the spot since they had issue with the cost otherwise yes it is aggrevating but I have been talking to the LCOs in the neighborhoods I work in so that we can all be trying to keep prices up. A couple are working for peanuts and did not know that they could be earning $50 or more than they are now a month but now they know and hopefully will go up. Several of us are at the same spot and so the neighbors are becoming accustomed to the prices and not some ridiculous $70 or $80 a month.

Good luck man!

Lawn Neophyte
06-28-2008, 07:55 AM
There's a lot of lowballing going on here. To the point where I'm getting beat out. For instance some charge $15 to $17 for weekly cuts. I can't compete with that, and I can't believe they don't realize that they're not making a lot of money lowballing.

white1
06-28-2008, 07:57 AM
I had one I quoted earlier in the week for $150. A HUGE 2 acre yard, wanted round up etc. Even ask a friend who has been in the business a few years, he said he would have charged $150 too. The guy told me I was highest by far, a guy quoted him $55. I told him to hire that guy. After fuel, and equipment expenses the guy is almost doing it for free

Lawn Neophyte
06-28-2008, 09:00 AM
After fuel, and equipment expenses the guy is almost doing it for free

That's what I'm saying.

TforTexas
06-28-2008, 10:10 AM
What about the guy who does bid that lawn at 40-45 dollars a mow. To him, YOUR the F'ing lowballer. Why do you care what other people charge? Do you really expect to get every lawn in your town? The steak houses don't really care what McDonald's charge for their hamburgers.
If some people don't want to pay your price for your service. so be it! Concentrate on providing the best value to those that do and get on with it!
Charge what you need to cover your costs and make a reasonable profit and provide the best service to your customers you can. If you can not make money doing that then get out of the business and make room for those that can.
The fact that you get that upset about one customer not taking your bid suggests to me that you may not be cut out to own this, or any business.
Business today is very competitive and the customers are all feeling the pinch from the economy and are looking for the best deals they can find. You are going to face price resistance and competitive bidding all the time. And if a competitor is charging so low that he cannot cover his expenses or not make a profit, that too will take care of itself in time.

billslawn89
06-28-2008, 01:15 PM
ya. i always like when i give a quote on a lawn, the person comes back and says will you do it for this much!? wtf..i just gave you my price..its unreal how these people are around here! even for a five dollar difference, they won't take my price..unreal!

lawnwizards
06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
simple solution. just bid 5 dollars more than you would actually do it for. that way, when the customers counter offers 5 bucks cheaper you both win. you get the price you initially wanted and the customer gets to think they bartered and got a better deal.

JeffNY
06-28-2008, 02:57 PM
My neighbor called me about mowing her lawn, told her we can do it for $50, it took an hour and 45 min to mow it, and my buddy was trimming just about that entire time, so we were kinda pissed, but hey, its a neighbor.
Next week comes up, and she says shes 'all set'. I says alrighty.

Saw the new guy. Little ford ranger with a trailer that JUST fits the mower, straw cowboy hat, and a big fat cigar hangin out of his mouth. It was great. and trim?? Whats trim? You mean i'd have to go out and buy a trimmer? HA!

grandview (2006)
06-28-2008, 03:07 PM
It's just the nature of people. People want to bargain all the time. I do it to for things. If you feel all these people are asking for a discount add 5-10 to the price then drop it down this way they thing their getting a deal.Or if they hesitate tell them you'll drop it 5 bucks if they sign now because it cost money to come back and your both trying to save .It's called marketing .

bohiaa
06-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Dont let it get to ya,,,,,

just smile, say thank you, and say I wish ya the best of luck......

down here I'm VERY EXPENSIVE, we only cater to a certain type of customer,
I get told all the time I'm too expensive, but that's ok,

Roger
06-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Can somebody count the number of threads posted during a six month time period along the lines, "... where can I buy blades cheap," "... my dealer is asking $xxx for this mower, can I buy it cheaper someplace else," or "...I just buy the cheapest oil I can find?" There are hundreds of threads like this, LCO's all discussing the "cheapest" way to make a purchase.

My point is that we get up tight when a customer wishes to buy "cheap," but we do it all the time ourselves. Why should we be surprised when the customer tries to find his "bargin?"

What do you think the dealers think when we "shop" for a new piece of equipment, and not buy from them because somebody down the road will save us $5.00, $25.00, or $250.00?

Lawn Neophyte
06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
What about the guy who does bid that lawn at 40-45 dollars a mow. To him, YOUR the F'ing lowballer.

LMAO. NO ONE in my city charges that much. Everyone is a low-baller here, but in the end they get screwed for charging so little.

I can't help but wonder how they're getting by.

bohiaa
06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Gentleman:

maybe I haven't gotten my Point across....

Be the best LCO in town, Charge more than what your worth. Trust me the phone will ring off the wall....

when we tell a Customer we charge 65.00 Per average 1/4 lawn. they say WOW.
then I tell them that's PER week, WE wont take ANY other, We only accept weeklys.

then they want to know why..... I simply inform them were the best there is and we do everything.

most understand that you get what you pay for.....

If anyone wants us at 40 to 50.00 we turn them down.......

and trust me. they dont understand it, untill they see our work

as far as the dealers go, he's right.......

have you guys ever wondered why, some people dont hagle over price. or shop around...

Simple it's tooo Expensive....

My time is worth 175.00 an hour...... If I spend 2 hrs at a dealer's place of business.
it cost me 300.00

Bobdidit
06-29-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree with TforTexas. The longer I do this the more I realize that all customers are worth losing if they don't want to pay what you are worth.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-29-2008, 01:46 AM
ya. i always like when i give a quote on a lawn, the person comes back and says will you do it for this much!?

You just tell them, "SURE!!! ... But we're just talking about the front yard, right?"

Valk
06-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Your mental health is your responsibility.

We all get agitated...and doing so for 5 minutes is FAR better than for 10 minutes/hours.

*trucewhiteflag*

milkie62
06-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Boy if you are worth $175 to mow and trim a lawn what would you be worth if you had a real skill ???????????

Liendeni
06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
LMAO. NO ONE in my city charges that much. Everyone is a low-baller here, but in the end they get screwed for charging so little.

I can't help but wonder how they're getting by.

I'm going to have to agree with you. I don't think people in other states realize just how bad it is down here in Florida. I counted 32 Lawn Guys advertisting in my local little paper...and that is just my side of town...not the county.

I turn down maybe 10 lawns for every one that I agree to pick up. It is really hard to get work and keep your prices up....there are so many people down here that will do it for next to nothing...and not just lowballers....big multi-truck crews. My mother in law has a very small lawn....postage size....she is charged $50 a month....for four cuts....and this is not some kid or newbie in with a Home Depot rider in the back.

This is a guy with a multiple trucks and multiple crews doing her lawn. The prices quoted on here from other people from other locations just seem unrealistic for this area. I wish they weren't but I have yet to see it.

When people call me on the phone for a quote only....they never call back. They are calling around....and they will find dozens of people willing to do it cheaper in my town....how do you compete with that?

Luckily I have another job and I can afford to build this lawn business up slowly. I really feel for the guys that need cash now. I wish you luck buddy....don't feel bad....I get the sh*t every day.

Wayne's Lawn Service
06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Well said "T for Texas"

Although it is important what the competition is doing, too many times you can catch yourself watching them instead of watching your business. We had the same problem about twenty years ago.

Spend less time on the competion and more on doing what you do best.

ALC-GregH
07-01-2008, 11:27 AM
better then getting pissed ON! :D

Steiner
07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't live in Florida, hell I don't even mow lawns.

I don't even have a fancy business degree.

But it sounds like your market is over-saturated with lawn care companies. Maybe you should try to diversify and offer more pruning, hardscaping, pest control, curbing.

Smart logic would say that any other activity besides lawn care that requires a large initial investment for tools and equipment would be the best bet. Anyone can get a mower, truck and trailer. It takes a smarter, more driven man (you) to go into one of these areas and set you apart from the other joe lunch buckets.