PDA

View Full Version : My patio pics!

Groomer
06-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Finally got around to shooting some pics of my patio. This was installed in April this year by a local company here in SW Ohio. I think they did a topnotch install, and the design guy, a friend of mine, collaborated with me to give me just what I wanted. We couldn't be happier, my wife loves it! I'm a lawn guy, servicing residentials, and this is my vacation spot!

zedosix
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Looks good from the pictures you sent, I'm not familiar with the wall stone, what is the name of the stone used to build the pillars. What was done to manage the water run-off. Did he incorporate any drains along the pillar walls?

Groomer
06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
wall stone is bedford tumbled in buff pewter. all 5 downspouts are routed under and out into the beds, and a line runs along the long wall. I've watched some heavy downpours, and the water drains quite well.

DoetschOutdoor
06-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow, looks good. Definately a nice spot to relax.

tthomass
06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Just a suggestion.......I would take out the (2) Spruce while you can. They'll look nice for now but in say 10 yrs they'll be all into the fence and your patio making a nice mess and additional expense to cut down.

Want privacy? Look into some Arborviate and plant 3 or 5.

J&R Landscaping
06-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Just a suggestion.......I would take out the (2) Spruce while you can. They'll look nice for now but in say 10 yrs they'll be all into the fence and your patio making a nice mess and additional expense to cut down.

Want privacy? Look into some Arborviate and plant 3 or 5.

Either that or a few smaller leyland cypress. Customers around here tend to like them more then arborviates.

Groomer
06-29-2008, 10:46 AM
funny you mention the spruce, I put them there on purpose, I have one on the other corner thats about 10 years old and still hasen't really outgrown the site. These fatboy blues take awhile to really get big. Not a big fan of arbovitae, though I do have a few. I guess if they do outgrow the site eventually, I'll deal with them then.

iluvbermuda
06-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Looks good. Just curious..are the walls drystack?

Groomer
06-29-2008, 02:41 PM
the walls are glued but no mortar.

senatorcongressman
06-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Either that or a few smaller leyland cypress. Customers around here tend to like them more then arborviates.

Be careful with leylands as they grow very fast and get both tall and wide (pyramidal). Arborvitae are a bit slower and stay pretty columnar. My wife put two 18" tall leyland cypress (they were labeled "dwarf" at the nursery) in pots on our porch and they were 4 ft tall in a year. We moved them to a place with room to grow and another year later they are 6' tall x 4' wide. Another good choice are sky pencil holly as they stay very slim.

ZX12R
06-30-2008, 08:54 PM
leylands as they grow very fast and get both tall and wide (pyramidal). Arborvitae

In my opinion,both,Leyland Cypress and Arborvitae are junk. Leyland grow way too fast and also get out of control.The only thing Arborvitae are good for is deer food. :rolleyes: