PDA

View Full Version : Are Used Commercial Mowers Dependable?

Whitaker24
06-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Instead of me spending say $2400 or more for a residential Z Turn mower, would a commercial grade mower at say $3300 be dependable based on the hour meter?

dura to the max
06-28-2008, 09:24 PM
ive had 6 w/b and 2 z's all used and never had a problem out of them. i would say go this route and save money. imo a residential z is no better than the tractor mowers. there was recently a thread by lawnworks about this very topic.

Lawnut101
06-29-2008, 01:33 AM
It depends on how many hours and how well it was maintained. Yes, it will have repairs, but it will probably be dependable at least until you have enought to buy something else that's newer/better.

CrewKut
06-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Yes, they can be. Just make sure that you do your homework and thoroughly check the equipment out before the money leaves your wallet. If the equipment passes muster and you are getting a good value for your dollar, then go for it.

The problem sometimes is that people take shortcuts and they get burned. Either because they didn't research or bother to thoroughly check it out. Maybe they bought something based purely on appearance.

That is not to say that a piece of used equipment has to be in pristine condition before you should buy it. That would be unreasonable. You just try to minimize your risk and maximize your value.

There is a lot of good used equipment for sale, there is a lot of junk too. It's up to you to tell the difference.

would a commercial grade mower at say $3300 be dependable based on the hour meter?

You can not make that judgment based solely on the hour meter (at least I can't). What if it was run with little or no oil in it for a length of time? It still has low hours, but maybe other issues as well. That's why I recommend a thorough check up.

Dan

stevenf
06-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Right now I think one of my hydro pumps are going out. I would much rather pay to repair a spindle on a commercial rather then a Hydro pump on a residential. Thats why Im in the market for a commercial also.

Whitaker24
06-29-2008, 07:17 AM
What are some things to look for whie checking out a used commercial mower? Ive been the told difference in residential vs commercial is like night an day as far as parts ect? is that true?

RLLServicesCT
06-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Make sure you start the machine and LET IT RUN for as long as the seller doesn get tired. Also look for leaks, slips, hour meter, rust, damge, dents, any "funny" noises. I bought a lesco 36 and I had a transmission problem halfway through season, so watch for wear and tear on the pullys as well. It was a simple after all, but would have cost me an arm and leg if I had the dealer do it.

SIWEL
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
all my equiptment is bought used except for trimmers. i would rather pay 3 grand for a used Z and have to put 800 into it then buy a 12,000 Z. i could turn around and sell my used stuff for the same price if not more then what i bought it for. id rather have my equipment work for me rather then me work to own my equipment. new machines are way far off in my future, i will buy used for as long as i can.

dura to the max
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
all my equiptment is bought used except for trimmers. i would rather pay 3 grand for a used Z and have to put 800 into it then buy a 12,000 Z. i could turn around and sell my used stuff for the same price if not more then what i bought it for. id rather have my equipment work for me rather then me work to own my equipment. new machines are way far off in my future, i will buy used for as long as i can.

same here.

RLLServicesCT
07-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah, Two years ago I bought a little 5hp walk behind leaf blower just to have around for $250. I used it a good amount and sold it this year for $275.

jiggz
07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I always buy used.. as long as the motor has good compression and the frame/deck isnt cracked all to hell.. everything else on the machine is pennies compared to a new unit..its not like ya rebuilding a new BMW, lol everything is just nuts and bolts..soo anybodt with some mechanical knowledge can fix em

case in point i just grabed a used bobcat 48 inch w/b on craigs list for 600 bucks last month its a mid to late 90's but it cuts great, and is in good shape!!! even if everything went on it tomorrow,, im lookin at what, 1000 in parts? that would be 1600 total for a machine thats gonna last me the next 15 years.. compared to 3000 new