PDA

View Full Version : Are you fearless?

The Lighting Geek
06-29-2008, 01:51 AM
One of the descriptions I have heard about Nate Mullen and others of his caliber, is they are fearless about getting the fixture where it needs to be to get the desired effect.

I believe, aside from all the others things we need to know, it is a trait that is necessary in this business in order to take your work to that level we all want. I just had my foreman coring 2 1/2" and 6" holes in irreplaceable Peruvian Travertine to get lights where I wanted them. Now, I am in no way comparing myself to the likes of Nate, Jan, or others. You can see by the pictures Tim just posted that he is aggressive about placement.

I am just curious if you ever find yourself becoming 'fearless' about placement?

Lite4
06-29-2008, 02:16 AM
"Where there is a will, there is a wire chase!" Bravo Tommy.

Pro-Scapes
06-29-2008, 08:26 AM
One of the descriptions I have heard about Nate Mullen and others of his caliber, is they are fearless about getting the fixture where it needs to be to get the desired effect.

I believe, aside from all the others things we need to know, it is a trait that is necessary in this business in order to take your work to that level we all want. I just had my foreman coring 2 1/2" and 6" holes in irreplaceable Peruvian Travertine to get lights where I wanted them. Now, I am in no way comparing myself to the likes of Nate, Jan, or others. You can see by the pictures Tim just posted that he is aggressive about placement.

I am just curious if you ever find yourself becoming 'fearless' about placement?

I would of done the same thing you did Tommy however I probably would of subbed that out just because I dont have the experience with the core drill to classify me as qualified to be drilling out something thats irreplaceable like that... stone or brick I would be drilling right in.

As long as the budget is there I do what it takes to get the light in.

Mark B
06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
How did you anchor the plywood down? I know the drill has a vaccum to keep itself from turning itself round and round till the cord pulls out of the wall.

I have done wacky core drill holes before. They are alway fun.

That looks like fun. You have make sure you are right on.

Lite4
06-29-2008, 10:20 AM
That is a sweet drilling rig. I see a tag, did you rent it. They don't have rental drills like that around here at the rental stores. With that kind I have to rent the drill and the operator so to speak for 95 an hour to get that piece of hardware, but they will not chip the stone or crete.

Chris J
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't know if you guys have a Sunbelt rental store, but I found out not long ago that you can negotiate price for their rentals. I just rented a core drilling rig just like that one, and it only ended up costing me $100. I did have to have it back within 5 hours, but that was no problem. We did the drilling first thing, and then my guys continued on while I took the rig back. I also have used the hand held version. Less expensive, but you need a plywood template for the hole to make it perfect. You can do it without the template, but it takes practice.

Mike M
06-30-2008, 06:14 AM
You guys blow me away.

And I thought I was cool for gluing a water jet on the end of a pvc for going under walks.

I'm putting together a proposal to do a bunch of retainer wall drilling, and that will be a first for me.

When my life gets a little normal (like that will ever happen) I'd love to learn to do the core drill thing, among other advanced techniques.

I'm still mastering the basics, but I am in the process of figuring out the best way to do docks, since there is so much water around here. James uses a dry suit and goes in the water. After having my laborer hold me by the ankles while I hung cable, I am going to take a plunge next time. In fact I will start a thread on docks.

JoeyD
06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
we teach core drilling at our advanced seminars. I will keep all of you posted on the dates for our Advanced UU courses this fall and winter!

NightScenes
06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
These are things that most lighting people won't even consider because they think it can't be done. I think it is the type of install that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Keep on reaching!!

David Gretzmier
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Joey- I'd like to learn how to core drill at some point, as these situations have come up and I bypassed them. when you have a seminar in my area, let me know, I'm there.

JoeyD
06-30-2008, 10:30 AM
will do David...you may have to travel a little ways but I will keep everyone posted ont hese dates....if you ever have any questions though let me know!!