PDA

View Full Version : strating rough cut service

Blunt
06-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I am interested in doing quick cuts on overgrown lawns. With as little trim and blow as possible. I plan on contacting Realtors who's homes look abandoned as well as local mowers with nice expensive machines who don't like anything but smooth grass. ( if i had a 8000 dollar jd i wouldn't either) I have no interest in repeat business( mandatory weekly recuts) as i have to keep a very flexible schedule .
I already have equipment including trailer so so no start up costs to speak of other than insurance. I purchased a used cub cadet 3000 series for a good price with a 48" deck and a snow blower for my own yard. I also just picked a Polaris (don't know who actually makes it) 12.5 hp rough field mower cheap. It works well and is easier to use on heavy grass than the bush hog on my kubota (agro tires would destroy a lawn)

Any ideas on ways to find work other than mentioned would be appreciated.

coopmaster
06-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Many suburban townships end up cutting yards (via contractor) after the home owner doesn't. This is in cases of long tern illness, renters who are dirtbags, house for sale and owner out of town etc...
Usually the grass is real high and other bad stuff in the way like weeds and fallen tree limbs. Often this type of work can be profitable.
Another source is houses for sale and the realator has an escrow account for expenses.

DBL
06-29-2008, 01:52 PM
rough cut is not the way to advertise it because it still looks bad when its done. you need to provide a service to get the lawn back into shape...we do work for a realator and some of the lawns are a ft tall but with a couple ztr's and some time it looks fresh before the crew leaves and thats what the realator wants...if not they would call someone to feild mow it

MileHigh
06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
About half of my biz is the cutting of foreclosed bank owned homes....man o man, and it's real profitable. These banks don't care about the quality of cut...most of the time the grass is dead anyway's. All they care about is if the weeds are cut low around fence lines and around the house, no weeds popping up to tall, so they won't get fined by the city. MOWBLOWNGO

Most banks require before, after, address, and action shots, with time and date stamp imprinted on the pics. you send them via online.

Me and one guy can knock out over 30 of these foreclosed units in a day. And there always sending new stuff. If the weeds are too long, you just call from site, and tell em a price...give them 2 min to check the price, and off you go cuttin it...it's sweet, I just hate taking all these pictures of ugly lawns!!!

Oh and another thing, I don't ever have to worry about the bank not paying..there always right on time.

topsites
06-29-2008, 05:10 PM
rough cut is not the way to advertise it because it still looks bad when its done. you need to provide a service to get the lawn back into shape...we do work for a realator and some of the lawns are a ft tall but with a couple ztr's and some time it looks fresh before the crew leaves and thats what the realator wants...if not they would call someone to feild mow it

I would also say most Realtors are a type of an upper class citizen and yes they are all about that, then if you look long and hard you might find one who may appear not to be all that but even those guys aren't really trying to go or be that way.

Heck the stupid spell checker won't even let me type Realtor with a lower-case r if that says anything :p

Blunt
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Many of the places i see have grass the height of my tractor hood or higher and brush growing in it a inch or more across. For a fancier look my cub makes a pretty cut and a nice echo weedwacker and I own enough land to dump on for a long long time if they want to pay the extra cost.
But i don't trim my house just mow. I have 2 acres of lawn and hate every inch of it but salting it makes to much mud. So I'm trying to just just stay with hacking down stuff people don't want to risk damaging there own mowers on. Have a 4 w drive ATV for steep hills and rough patches. I don't know of any areas with mandatory lawn care provisions but could ask around were getting a lot if yuppie types moving in. Thanks for mentioning banks I hadn't thought of them.
I was going to mention high grass mowing rather than rough cut for reasons mentioned. rough cut just sounds bad :)

MowHouston
06-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh and another thing, I don't ever have to worry about the bank not paying..there always right on time.

You're lucky. Both companies I've tried this with ended up paying 2-3 months late after the first month. Dropped that crap quick.

Plus, its a pain when you're trying to maintain real customers and they keep dropping and adding houses all week. I hated it. But to each his own! :D

It is nice to get that fat check, once it does come.