PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have or had a serious knee problem?

Twotoros
01-08-2002, 04:06 PM
I posted this thread here because I feel my knees were worn out at work.

I was just wondering problems some of you may have had and what I might expect.
4 weeks ago I was getting out of my suv and stepped down as usual anf felt a sharp pain in my left knee. Swelling followed. I have been hobbling around since. The knee is now totally unstable. Some good days and some bad. It cracks and is shaky. I was hoping it wuuld correct itself but I think not this time. I is not like they were in good shape. I have a doctors appointment for monday so I hope it can be fixed by lawntime. If not I am in deep doo.

One thing I know is this business can take its toll on our bodies after a number of years. There are a lot of rough lawns in these parts.

heygrassman
01-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Not in the bus. yet but soon to get there. Here is a little bit of my knee story. 2 Arthroscopes later on the left knee and I can tell you when rain or cold is coming. Torn ligament (off the bone)on the left side of the left knee and a small miniscus tear when they went in for to repair surgery number 1. The longer you wait the worse it gets and the longer to rehab. With the tear I was out of commission for 10 weeks and rehab for months, with the repair and cleanout on the miniscus (which is very common) I was down for 2 weeks and rehab for 6+ weeks but good movement in 3 weeks. All in all it is much better than it was, no more giveouts and pain - still sore now and again (3 motrin is it is not noticable).

Good Luck

jf

Here we go Steelers, here we go....

summitgroundskeeping
01-08-2002, 06:49 PM
I've run Cross Country for 7 years. Last year I blew out my left ankle, and continued to run w/o getting surgery. I ran this year and didn't have many problems w/my ankle until 1/2 way through the season. Well, having an ankle that does not move caused me to change my stride and I not have what are known as hip pointers. I continued to run this year, ran Regionals while I was a crutches :( :eek: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . Wanna talk about major pain? Well, just to tell u guys facts...
get surgury if u have a bad accident, and DO NOT continue doing thinks that continue to hurt your body. I know that I will have serious problems w/my ankle and hips later in life all b/c I wanted to be a hard a$$.

mac43rn
01-09-2002, 01:22 AM
seven surgeries and hope that is it. Last surgery was five years ago and I am 28. Lots of basketball and a teenage mentality that I was invenciable.

Russ
01-09-2002, 08:26 AM
Very Interesting----- 10 years ago blew out the left knee while mowing a steep ditch with a WB. It was OK in 3 days. Two weeks ago blew out the left knee again while getting out of the lazy boy. Much worse this time. One week on a cane and still hobbeling and it still hurts. Looking forward to what you find out.

Scraper
01-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Sorry to say, but it doesn't look good. I have had my fair share of knee problems over the years all stemming from playing ice hockey. If you tore a ligament you are looking at 6 months at least till full mobility after surgery. If you're lucky it is a sprained ligament. When I tore the anterior cruciate over 15 years ago I could still walk, but experienced the same symptoms you mention, but also had the same symptoms with torn cartilage. If it is just torn cartilage you are in luck as you can be back on your feet in a few days and full mobility in a few weeks after arthroscopic surgery. The best news is that for most knee injuries these days they can use arthroscopic which is less intrusive than the old way of slicing your leg open. I have been through 7 arthroscopic surgeries on both knees over the years. Only one for torn ligament, the others for torn cartilage. Definitely see an orthopedic surgeon soon as if you have a complete tear of a ligament it will disintegrate after a week making an artificial or cadaver ligament necessary. Mine was a complete tear with no bleeding so they stapled it to the bone. They were going to remove the staple when I had torn cartilage removed, but thought that since it looked good they left it be.

Good luck!

Twotoros
01-09-2002, 04:17 PM
I hope it is not the ligament. Pain is not to bad mostly but but is there all the same. It shifts from side to side or to the back of the knee. It it is a ligament I am out of business.:mad: If I employ someone it would leave nothing to live on. I do have some disability built into my mortgage and a car payment though.
Russ I would not wait. Make an appointment now. It may take awhile to get in to the doc. It's taking ten days for mine. I wish I would have made it sooner. I might be getting surgery now.
Could be an early spring here. Weather is in the upper 40's this week. Yikes.
Usual start time is march 1st to 15th at the latest.

Scraper
01-09-2002, 04:24 PM
Not a doctor, but I believe you are in luck. Your shifting side to side and to the back sounds like you have a piece of torn cartilage floating in your knee. I had that exact symptom and it would actually lock my knee up as well. Definitely see the ortho, but with the scope (three little holes) they can remove the piece of cartilage or tear and you will be walking in a week with no problems and literally no rehab. Good luck and let us know how it works out!!!

LAWNGODFATHER
01-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Should have gone to the Dr when it happened.

My left knee went completely backwords when i was playing football in high school (QB), got tackled the wrong way and bye bye knee.

Been in many times to fix,last time when I was 20, but like was said I can feel the rain or cold coming. Best weather guesser around.

KDJ
01-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Twotoros
I posted this thread here because I feel my knees were worn out at work.

I have a doctors appointment for monday so I hope it can be fixed by lawntime. If not I am in deep doo.

One thing I know is this business can take its toll on our bodies after a number of years. There are a lot of rough lawns in these parts.

OK--- go get your Z, mama will understand

wildbilly1113
01-09-2002, 10:25 PM
I have had 4 knee surgeries. 3 on left, 1 on right. I have rods in both legs from knees to hips.[ Compound Femurs ]. Left arm nearly severed. No feeling from elbow to fingertips. I still manage to service 45 accounts solo. See a good Orthopedic doctor as soon as possible ! God gives us the spirit to carry on ! Good Luck!

SLSNursery
01-10-2002, 01:44 PM
I have blown out my ACLs and had reconstruction 3x (2x left, 1x right). There is a several month recovery from this if you need this type of work, but you can work around it. Just make sure that you follow through with all of the therapy.

My knees bother me some days, weather related, or not, but usually not too bad. The biggest problem is keeping my weight down to relieve excess pressure on the knees.

Good Luck

Twotoros
01-24-2002, 03:08 PM
Well I finally found out what my problem may be. Yesterday my knee went into it's very bad pain mode where I can hardly walk. The doc told me when it does that to come right in. He said it is probably a tear in the miniscus cartilage and could be fixed with arthoscopic. Three weeks to be 100% and I can get it done on Feb 7th. Start time for lawns is the first half of march and is usually at half speed anyway. So hopefully it will work out. Today I can barely walk so I am looking foward to the surgery. Also I can get some payback for my 309$ a month insurance premiums. Surgery is about 7k.

Scraper
01-24-2002, 04:13 PM
So it looks like I diagnosed it pretty well...guess I missed my calling. ;) Actually probably too much experience. I'd say 3 weeks is worst case scenario. I'll bet you feel 100% after a week. First few days are a little sore as you will have 3 holes punched in your knee if not more. I had 6 for one scope when the surgeon couldn't reach the piece of torn miniscus. You won't believe how quick they heal though. All in all you'll need crutches for maybe a couple days.

Anyways...glad to hear that it was only cartilage. You might want to look into some type of brace to prevent something like this from happening again. At least make sure you follow the rehab closely as that strengthens things although cartilage has nothing to do with strength.

Good luck!