PDA

View Full Version : Florida Rates?

Lawn_Enforcement
06-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I own business in Ky but have always had a passion to move back to Fl where I grew up. Does anyone know how the market is for Lawn Care and Maintenance? Also any idea of rates or what to typically charge for a average 1/2 acre yard or 1 acre yard and what type of commercial insurance is needed for down there 1 million 2 million or more? Thanks

DaveinSWFL
06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I am in Punta Gorda which is about 20 miles north of Fort Myers. The average for a 1/2 acre is $50 (mow, edge, stringline & blow). I am sure the price varies in each market down here.

Lawn_Enforcement
06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Up here it is about 30 for half acre average sized yards for mow, edge, weedeat, and blow. For acres its 55-60. Gas is the same price to. Thanks for the info. Is there alot of competition in South Central FL

fool32696
06-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I've been a lot of places and the only place i've seen with the amount of competition as I see in FL is in Houston Tx. You will be fighting for every yard that you get. If you do find lawns that pay better than where you're at, the additional cash will be eaten up in the additional expense that it costs to live here. I say if you want to move, move. But don't expect lawns to come easy and the money to be great.

Lawn_Enforcement
06-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Are the rates similar to your area 50 per 1/2 ? in Williston, Fl?

fool32696
06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
$35 per cut for 1/2 acre but I only bill monthly based on 36 annual cuts. I'm high for my area but do quality work when I say I will. Don't plan on anything near $50 per half acre. I honestly don't know how Daveinswfl is doing it. Must have all high ends. I was in FT. Myers 2 weeks ago and economic conditions looked FAR worse than where I live. Lots of unemployment, unsold real estate, and a general look of poverty. Everybody that I talked to in Ft Myers said that the lawn guys were cutting each others throats and working for little or no profit.

Lawn_Enforcement
06-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Fool,

When you say you bill on 36 cuts obviously its more then KY but even if you cut it say 25 times you still bill out for 36. I have contracts but only bill how many times I cut.

fool32696
06-30-2008, 12:37 AM
If I had to guess I'd say I cut between 33 and 39 times per year and get paid for the 36. Right now with this rain I may hit 40 cuts. No contracts but I have good customers that are happy with the simplicity of having the same payment every month. I think in Florida it's really common to say $XX per month year round. Sure makes things easier.

h400exinfl
06-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I bill by the cut down here (near orlando). My customers really love the pay by the cut method. A large percentage of the accounts I have, switched to me for just that reason. They were tired of paying the same amount, even in the winter. And that's just another example of how fickle the retiree's are down here, constantly bottom shopping and will switch for a nickel. Take it with a grain of salt.

DaveinSWFL
06-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I have the majority of my customers are on a monthly/year round. I haven't experienced what you are talking about (switching to an LCO who bills by the cut). In the winter I service their propety evrry 10 days. If it doesn't need cut I trim shrubs, edge. You get the point. I find something to do on the property to justify the charge. I also pick up landscaping or mulch/rock jobs on some of these properties during the winter months. Every market is different.

fool32696
06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
There's nothing wrong with charging by the cut. The main thing that I've found is that going to a monthly basis made record keeping easy (less headaches) and sent the pita customers to someone like 400ex (less headaches). Now I don't spend half my day talking to old people and collecting money by knocking on the door. When I get to the point where I have a crew doing the work, I'm not going to lose half of my accounts because my customers already realize I'm not the guy that will kiss their ass, do ******ed favors, etc. I only lost 2 lawns when I switched to monthly billing and they were the 2 that drove me nuts anyways. Guaranteeing myself 36 cuts per lawn this year more than made up from the lost income from those 2. Heck, half the time they'd call and tell me to skip their lawn till next week.

freshprince94
06-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Coming from Orlando FL:

-The market is absolutely saturated. However, you can be successful if your price is right and you do decent work.
-Average price for a half acre is $25-$30 per cut with the lowballers at $20 and the highballers at $35. However, we bill monthly down here. Also, contracts aren't too common.
-Down here, you must have a 36" mower because there are so many gates.
-Also, there are many Hispanic workers but most of them are legal and do great work so don't worry about "Lowballer Mexicans"/

Good Luck