PDA

View Full Version : When you run out of run on a transformer tap?

Eden Lights
06-29-2008, 06:16 PM
This week I was installing a transformer that I don't use alot of and ran into a problem that happens a few times a year. No more physical room on a secondary transformer tap, what do you do? We always pull out the two lowest loaded runs and then run a a single short 10 wire to a these two runs with a wire nut. This drives me nuts since I tend to keep the inside of my transformers pretty tidy. What do you guys or girls do?

NightScenes
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
We do the same thing Eddie, what else can you do?

Lite4
06-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Ditto, no other options other than mounting another trans.

The Lighting Geek
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
24v has eliminated that problem for me. I use about half the home runs to the tranny and it is easier to keep it tidy. It is a beautiful thing.

Pro-Scapes
06-29-2008, 07:54 PM
cast makes an extra lug gizmo which you run a couple of 10's to the wire up whatever to the other side of it. I eliminated the problem when I switched to Mikes trans. 2 taps per common make a huge diff.

I have done what your talking about tho Eddie. Just makes things a real pita sometimes. We just prewired a job that will have 12 runs to 1 trans and 10 runs to another and 8 runs to the 3rd. I hope Joeys sub teraneans are up to the task.:laugh:

Mike M
06-29-2008, 08:16 PM
24v has eliminated that problem for me. I use about half the home runs to the tranny and it is easier to keep it tidy. It is a beautiful thing.

I plan to enjoy this to a further level with LED's. One or two 14 gauge home runs out to hubs which will contain a multiple number of leads, or, no hubs, just a few massive chains, or both, a few hubs with multiple leads shooting off into several branches of chains. Or maybe one big freaking loop. One home run could illuminate an entire massive crop circle. I'd bet one 14 gauge cable could light up a large public spiritual meditation garden like they probably have where Gregg is from.

Eden Lights
06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
I have never have this issue on the common side it's usually the 13V tap. I guess the .5V taps would help. This only happens on some of the small tap transformer models.

Terradek
06-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Eddie,
Another option might be to use a voltage regulator...this will allow you to use taps greater than 12v but less than 24v and deliver 11.6 to the fixture. This will give you the flexibility to use whatever taps are available and still get correct voltage. They are another thing to deal with but are useful in many instances...eg. homes that experience voltage surges, when you loose a lamp the rest of your fixtures will not suffer increased voltage, in cold weather climates they also help to protect against the impact of reduced resistance due to cold temps. They only have a 75w max. capability though. So you may have to use more than one if you are pushing a heavy load.

Gerry
Terradek Lighting Inc.