PDA

View Full Version : raking pinestraw

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
01-08-2002, 05:18 PM
I have a lady who wants her pinestraw and leaves raked. The leaves I can pick up with the bagger but I aint so sure about the pinestraw. How much do you usually charge to rake yards? This yard is about 2200sqf and it is well kept up so it aint caked on the ground. If I am lucky I can pick it up with the bagger. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

summitgroundskeeping
01-08-2002, 05:31 PM
If u are talkin about pine needles a VAC will suck em up w/o any problem. Plus it is faster and u can put nice stripes down like u can with a mower w/striping kit. I run a Billy Goat VAC u can pick a new one up for about $900, I got mine from the dealer w/ 4 hours on it for $500.
Good luck.
PS. Ur just now doing lawn clean ups, up here we're plowin & saltin.

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
01-08-2002, 05:37 PM
It just got cold here, but I need to know how much you charge for a one time raking job....thanks

summitgroundskeeping
01-08-2002, 05:42 PM
I don't know what I would charge b/c I have never considered raking. Only time I would rake is to get dead crap out of the lawn for overseeding or something, b/c my vac will even pick up...
bottles, cans, apples, sticks, leaves, mud, dirt, gravel, ANYTHING. Buy a vac or rent one.

lawncare
01-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Charge by the hr, whats your going rate or rent a vac is the easiest way to go.

Jason Burke
01-09-2002, 12:29 AM
You should not have any problem vacuuming the straw up. However, you need to remember your time is worth the same amount no matter what you do. If you cut this lawn and bag it and it takes 1 hr then your 1 hr should be worth $45.00. If this customer wants the yard raked and it takes 3 hrs then charge them $135.00 specialization cost - the customer not you! You could have been cutting and bagging two other yards for $45.00/hr. or you could be spending your important time with family or friends. God Bless. Jason:blob4: